Overrated films

AmericanRam

44 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Agreed Into Darkness was utter sh** compared to Wrath Oh Khan, which it was shamefully riffing on, and ripping off.  I like Beyond, but out of the Kelvin Universe films, the first is still the best...

When spoke did the 'KHAN' i cringed it was that bad.

I like nods to the originals but i think Beyond had just the right amount and a nice touch with Nimoy passing away.

I like the first one just because nimoy is in it, and also chris hemsworth as george kirk is really good and the best scene from the film if not all three films put together.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Lion King

Shows how subjective this topic is. Box Office stats kind of show that a few people liked these films.

Sequels are often on dodgy ground, as are what I call band-wagon jumpers, for example 'Troy'  and 'Alexander the Great' after 'Gladiator.'

Any film involving Adam Sandler is usually a S**tburger for me.

10 minutes ago, David said:

A film has to be popular for it to be overrated otherwise it wouldn't be overrated?

Saying that it obviously comes down to what genre of films you enjoy, I'm not a huge fantasy guy so broomsticks, rings, dragons don't really do it for me. I'll always give them a go though as I'm not a huge Sci Fi fan either yet enjoyed Star Trek. Wouldn't simply write a film off by the front cover.

Had Harry Potter and LOTR been popular with just the teenagers who I believe they must surely be aimed at I wouldn't have thrown them in. 

Star Wars there is a huge thread on here somewhere and it became obvious that it was nostalgia that keeps the older generation watching, I watched them for the first time last year, would honestly struggle to put into words how bad they were yet when they were released I can see how they would have been hugely popular.

Saying that I loved the Turtles as a kid more than anything around, won't find me at the cinema watching the latest movies they have put out.

9 minutes ago, David said:

A film has to be popular for it to be overrated otherwise it wouldn't be overrated?

Very true. :)

But you have to bow to market forces as everything is subjective. A popular film (that takes loads of money) in one person's eyes is either great (follows the herd) or is overrated (me no like).

I think Sting sucks a*s but I bow to his CD sales, some folk obviously like him.

I thought about starting a cautionary thread called '**** Films to Avoid', having lost 90 minutes of my life watching the shocking 'Dads Army' film. But it would all be subjective. I love Ronin but I know @Mostyn6 hates it. I have broken away to clip my toe nails when Shawshank was on.

4 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Very true. :)

But you have to bow to market forces as everything is subjective. A popular film (that takes loads of money) in one person's eyes is either great (follows the herd) or is overrated (me no like).

I think Sting sucks a*s but I bow to his CD sales, some folk obviously like him.

I thought about starting a cautionary thread called '**** Films to Avoid', having lost 90 minutes of my life watching the shocking 'Dads Army' film. But it would all be subjective. I love Ronin but I know @Mostyn6 hates it. I have broken away to clip my toe nails when Shawshank was on.

I don't hate it. I just find it almost instantly forgettable. I know I watched it many many years ago, and then again probably a number of weeks ago, and the second time, I made sure my laptop was off and I focused on the film, and lo and behold, I barely recall anything about it.

8 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

So what' this girls name?  She sounds...... interesting :ph34r:

A lot of proper film fans would want to kill me for saying this but most of Kubrik's films bore me to tears.  2001, Barry Lyndon, Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork Orange, Sparticus, they all send me to sleep.  The two exceptions are The Shining & Full Metal Jacket.

I would agree with these 3 being poor. Barry Lyndon is laughably bad. 

Archived