Speeding

King Kevin

6 hours ago, LesterRam said:

I don't have a problem with him having a custodial sentence but it should be the same for everyone with comparable crimes, looking at the case notes this was his first offence and that was lazy journalism about abusing other people, this wasn't bought to the attention of the court, they did mention that the drink in question went everywhere and on other passengers.

I must agree that "poor sod" was an error of judgement and I am not condoning his attitude or crime but the sentence doesn't fit what actually happened, he had been drinking heavily and was a tit but not worthy of 6 months inside at 20 years old under a first offence, I could go out in the street today and intentionally hit someone so hard they are knocked off their feet and I would guarantee a lesser sentence for my first offence.

Maybe had they left it at the one person they might have got a ticking off, but as the article states it was a sustained series of attacks on more than one person, it also does not state if the other two attacks were racial attacks?

I agree it does seem at times sentences given out are not comparable, but that doesnt alter the fact they decided to abuse, attack, intimidate whatever you want to call it a series of people. It clearly states the guy they picked on off the train they surrounded him in a threatening way hitting him with a cigarette lighter to intimdate him, now you might say that wont hurt him and it probably didnt but it may have been an incredibly frightening experience.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

agree there is no excuse for using a mobile, just put it in the boot or turn it off.

I like the idea that every car should be fitted with a lockable box and if you have an accident you gave do be able to prove your phone was in it.

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I like the idea that every car should be fitted with a lockable box and if you have an accident you gave do be able to prove your phone was in it.

I suppose the only problem is loads of people use them as sat navs now. Maybe they should have a car mode, a bit like airplane mode which prevents calls and texts.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Maybe had they left it at the one person they might have got a ticking off, but as the article states it was a sustained series of attacks on more than one person, it also does not state if the other two attacks were racial attacks?

I agree it does seem at times sentences given out are not comparable, but that doesnt alter the fact they decided to abuse, attack, intimidate whatever you want to call it a series of people. It clearly states the guy they picked on off the train they surrounded him in a threatening way hitting him with a cigarette lighter to intimdate him, now you might say that wont hurt him and it probably didnt but it may have been an incredibly frightening experience.

yeah your right in everything you say sweety, unfortunately the court papers didn't mention the other people that the BBC and social media reported so he cannot be judged if a complaint wasn't filed, so a 20 year old, unemployed and with no fixed address received 6 months inside for racially aggravated assault or in layman's terms, throwing a drink over an American whilst calling him everything under the sun, so the Chelsea fans that physically pushed someone whilst hurling abuse, middle aged(should have known better) that worked in the city(£150k+ per annum) with a nice pad in Kensington received a suspended sentence, am I being super sensitive, maybe I am..

15 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I suppose the only problem is loads of people use them as sat navs now. Maybe they should have a car mode, a bit like airplane mode which prevents calls and texts.

Nokia has drive mode, and I expect smartphone users can choose a variety of apps.

The issue is that a sensible user would not need these as they would not use their phone, and the cretins would not use the option or app and carry-on using the phone whilst driving.

This morning I drove from J25 to Doncaster and saw over a dozen drivers looking downwards and occasionally glancing upwards.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Nokia has drive mode, and I expect smartphone users can choose a variety of apps.

The issue is that a sensible user would not need these as they would not use their phone, and the cretins would not use the option or app and carry-on using the phone whilst driving.

This morning I drove from J25 to Doncaster and saw over a dozen drivers looking downwards and occasionally glancing upwards.

oh well i guess i cant claim invented it then :( You are right though.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

My God, over a dozen! I see it hundreds and hundreds of times a day. Mainly women and dizzy young lasses in their bubble fiats. Blokes just put the phones to their ears or blatantly text with phone outstretched over the steering wheel. At least women try to be discreet.

Drive past any bus stop where there are people waiting and guaranteed anyone under 50 will be staring at a screen. They find it impossible to pass 5 minutes without this burning desire to check, scroll and type.

This has now become an issue on the roads as now it seems that stopping at traffic lights for example whilst driving means you are free and perfectly ok to use / look at your mobile WITHOUT attempting to hide it. As though because you've stopped makes it safe and ok.

Many motorists cannot do something as easy as sit at traffic lights for a matter of minutes without using their phones.

IMO it's a gigantic problem that will only get worse and cause many more road accidents and deaths.

Anyone caught using a mobile at the wheel should be hit with a fine of about 5k. Many wouldn't risk it again. Fine them 60 quid and everyone will do it again. As they are now. Law makers in this country want to see deaths and lives ruined IMO. Draconian penalties or it will get worse.

Archived