Speeding

King Kevin

Not sure why race is now an issue here.

Personally although I guess this biker was well within his limits as a rider, the law has to draw a line where you've passed a line and a ban no longer is justified. Double the limit sounds to me a fair place to draw the line.

I hate motorcyclists who think doing over a ton is acceptable on a major road. With all the "think" and "watch out for bikers" promoting drivers taking responsibility for biker safety (and rightly so) I take umbrage when I mirror, signal, manoeuvre and get the **** scared out of me when I'm round the corner and see a bike roaring into view in my rear mirror, going so fast I'm in danger of pulling out on him. Help me keep you from smashing into my back end by not driving like a reckless tosspot.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I can't see where it mentions the mans weight nor his job, but i can't see the relevance, but even if it was are we saying the other people on the end of the attack were also ex forces and 30 stone? The offence isn't related to a single incident, it clearly also states there was an assault.

How can you possibly come to the conclusion that all of those affected during the crime are man enough to not let it affect them? 

First sentence mate, A man who admitted racially abusing a US army veteran on a Manchester tram with two other males has been jailed.

No he wasn't 30 stone.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

While I see your point about sentencing inconsistencies, you still seem to be in denial about the crimes he was actually sentenced for, and indeed admitted his guilt to?

Assault! He admitted it!

Yes but Assault due to throwing a drink on someone, not physically man handling him, and you are right he did admit the crime and so did i, I thought it excessive for a young lad on his first offence.

5 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Yes but Assault due to throwing a drink on someone, not physically man handling him, and you are right he did admit the crime and so did i, I thought it excessive for a young lad on his first offence.

Maybe our young lads need to learn racism is never acceptable, first offence or not.

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Not sure why race is now an issue here.

Personally although I guess this biker was well within his limits as a rider, the law has to draw a line where you've passed a line and a ban no longer is justified. Double the limit sounds to me a fair place to draw the line.

I hate motorcyclists who think doing over a ton is acceptable on a major road. With all the "think" and "watch out for bikers" promoting drivers taking responsibility for biker safety (and rightly so) I take umbrage when I mirror, signal, manoeuvre and get the **** scared out of me when I'm round the corner and see a bike roaring into view in my rear mirror, going so fast I'm in danger of pulling out on him. Help me keep you from smashing into my back end by not driving like a reckless tosspot.

No it shouldn't, it feels like the judge made a bad judgement because not only was this done shortly after the Brexit vote and it was widely shown on social media and the BBC he was public enemy number one and was unduly given a harsh sentence, I condemned the actions of this lad on this forum at the time and my view hasn't changed, its the sentence for a first offence that doesn't lay well with me.

39 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

First sentence mate, A man who admitted racially abusing a US army veteran on a Manchester tram with two other males has been jailed.

No he wasn't 30 stone.

Sorry I can be a bit slow but what do you mean first sentence??? I am not suggesting otherwise. He also abused and assaulted 2 other people in separate incidents according to the article, how do you know they werent old or vulnerable people?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Sorry I can be a bit slow but what do you mean first sentence??? I am not suggesting otherwise. He also abused and assaulted 2 other people in separate incidents according to the article, how do you know they werent old or vulnerable people?

This was a trial by social media and picked up by the BBC, how many assault cases do you think we have had today and not linked to Brexit thugs so not news worthy.

10 hours ago, LesterRam said:

This was a trial by social media and picked up by the BBC, how many assault cases do you think we have had today and not linked to Brexit thugs so not news worthy.

Probably loads but thats not relevant. I also get your point about the sentence handed to that old neighbour of yours, for me if anyone commits a sex offence then have them castrated, it can be done medically and that will supress whatever desires they have (we dont do this because of human rights etc, but i always think well what about the rights of the victim and potential victims but i digress).

I know you feel the person in question who was abused was the sort that wouldnt let it affect him mentally in the long term, but i stand by that the other two people abused could have been, it states they surrounded one person off the train and acted in an intimidating fashion towards them, how would you feel if these thugs did this to an elderly or vulnerable friend or relative of yours, if it caused that friend or relaltive to lose confidence in not only public situations but themselves? would you be suggesting 6 months inside (of which he will do what 2? 3?) is over the top? You do no have to physically damage someone to cause long term damage to them.

Your terminology of 'poor sod' just riles me, it honestly does, i think about the poor sods he has done this too, and thats even assuming this is a one off, which i doubt.

Maybe, just maybe, being inside will teach him a little bit about respecting other people and he will be a better person for it.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Recently? No. Thank God.

I would expect the punishment to fit the crime and this is not comparable to crimes of a similar nature.

Racist Chelsea fans on the Paris Metro that physically stopped a black man enter the train and hurled racist abuse towards him were handed fines and suspended sentence's.

http://mend.org.uk/chelsea-fans-fined-racist-abuse-man-paris-metro/

91% of football fans believe racism exists in football (yougov)

350 racist incidents FOIA for 50% (2012) of UK Police forces at Football grounds, no custodial sentencing, majority released without charges, he was made an example due to Brexit and I don't want a judge making a decision on the strength of social media outrage, this in my opinion is a dangerous direction.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Probably loads but thats not relevant. I also get your point about the sentence handed to that old neighbour of yours, for me if anyone commits a sex offence then have them castrated, it can be done medically and that will supress whatever desires they have (we dont do this because of human rights etc, but i always think well what about the rights of the victim and potential victims but i digress).

I know you feel the person in question who was abused was the sort that wouldnt let it affect him mentally in the long term, but i stand by that the other two people abused could have been, it states they surrounded one person off the train and acted in an intimidating fashion towards them, how would you feel if these thugs did this to an elderly or vulnerable friend or relative of yours, if it caused that friend or relaltive to lose confidence in not only public situations but themselves? would you be suggesting 6 months inside (of which he will do what 2? 3?) is over the top? You do no have to physically damage someone to cause long term damage to them.

Your terminology of 'poor sod' just riles me, it honestly does, i think about the poor sods he has done this too, and thats even assuming this is a one off, which i doubt.

Maybe, just maybe, being inside will teach him a little bit about respecting other people and he will be a better person for it.

I don't have a problem with him having a custodial sentence but it should be the same for everyone with comparable crimes, looking at the case notes this was his first offence and that was lazy journalism about abusing other people, this wasn't bought to the attention of the court, they did mention that the drink in question went everywhere and on other passengers.

I must agree that "poor sod" was an error of judgement and I am not condoning his attitude or crime but the sentence doesn't fit what actually happened, he had been drinking heavily and was a tit but not worthy of 6 months inside at 20 years old under a first offence, I could go out in the street today and intentionally hit someone so hard they are knocked off their feet and I would guarantee a lesser sentence for my first offence.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Same old racists too.

just as long as that wasn't barbed towards me sweet pea, the young lad could have stamped on his head and received a lesser sentence but due to "Brexit" which muddied the courts responsibility towards a fair trial, he was harshly treated, I openly rounded on the "boy" on this forum when it happened, judge by social media isn't the way forward.

On 2/7/2017 at 16:24, King Kevin said:

Now I have to say I am a petrol head a biker and I love speed ,almost without exception on all the other sites I use  and social media the verdict is this guy was treated harshly .

Bikers tend to have examples made of them over motorist [except from bike cops] and the mobile phone user /texter is probably just as likely to kill someone. Thoughts.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1162596/motocross-champion-jailed-after-being-caught-driving-his-bike-at-149m

I too love my bikes and may in the past have exceeded the speed limit slightly;)

However, this level of excess is reckless and tbf gives sensible bikers a bad name. There's a time and place for everything and in my opinion the time and place for 149 mph is Donnington Park on a track day. As for mobile phone using motorists I'd give them a 12 month ban a £2000 fine for a first offense.

34 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

I too love my bikes and may in the past have exceeded the speed limit slightly;)

However, this level of excess is reckless and tbf gives sensible bikers a bad name. There's a time and place for everything and in my opinion the time and place for 149 mph is Donnington Park on a track day. As for mobile phone using motorists I'd give them a 12 month ban a £2000 fine for a first offense.

agree there is no excuse for using a mobile, just put it in the boot or turn it off.

35 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

you be careful racing around Donington park, you might run into eddie in his 1967 morris minor doing 29mph :lol:

Archived