Speeding

King Kevin

Now I have to say I am a petrol head a biker and I love speed ,almost without exception on all the other sites I use  and social media the verdict is this guy was treated harshly .

Bikers tend to have examples made of them over motorist [except from bike cops] and the mobile phone user /texter is probably just as likely to kill someone. Thoughts.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1162596/motocross-champion-jailed-after-being-caught-driving-his-bike-at-149m

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Now I have to say I am a petrol head a biker and I love speed ,almost without exception on all the other sites I use  and social media the verdict is this guy was treated harshly .

Bikers tend to have examples made of them over motorist [except from bike cops] and the mobile phone user /texter is probably just as likely to kill someone. Thoughts.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1162596/motocross-champion-jailed-after-being-caught-driving-his-bike-at-149m

Without seeing recent examples of car drivers being jailed (or not) for these kinds of speed offences, it's hard to say if it was harsh or not.

He'd admitted dangerous driving and because he said didn't even know how fast he was going, couldn't really claim to be speeding responsibly. A bit of a muppet really.

I do think the penalties for phone use while driving need to be much more harsh.

9 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

treated harshly, this poor sod got 6 months jail for verbally abusing someone, we have a reoffending rate of 60% in the UK so the chances of a 20 year old without a job, without a life being even more radicalised when he comes out will be very high.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38892464

he did wrong, wouldn't unpaid work be more fitting?

Can't read the full article, wants me to register but if there is no previous offences prison does seem harsh for being a bit of a dick, had he killed or seriously injured someone I could understand.

Take his licences away for a couple years plus maybe a fine, that alone would impact his life.

Now he possibly faces a future of becoming unemployable and another mouth to feed for the tax payers.

I am sympatheic. First time offences (where no injury or serious consequence resulting) should always be a slap on the wrist, a fine, a ban of 9 months+ or similar penalty. Second time offences should be the full force of the law as clearly no lessons learned. I am not in favour of criminalising people for stupidity in the first instance, it is regressive and provides no opportunity out for a lot of people (particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds involved). Slightly off-topic but I know of a family member and a close friend who made bad judgements in their formative years (drugs possession, driving offences.) and they were still paying the price a decade+ later when fully mature, with a family and trying to crack on. I don't see this as beneficial to society in any way. This has not been helped by CBR checking which I believe is rampant now (it renders the Rehabilitation Act of 73 useless - minor offences which would otherwise be undisclosed after 5 years now follow the person for a lifetime) and totally abused by employers - effectively any job is in scope where HR wants to have a nosey. Designed originally for the protection of the vulnerable...of course if drawing loose boundaries you could say 90% of jobs could bring someone into contact with a vulnerable person.

Can't read the article either, but a lot depends of variables such as road and weather conditions, amount of traffic and so on, set against his obvious skill and experience at handling a motorbike.

149 mph on a bike shows big ballcocks at the least, so I'd let him off with refresher course and £60 fine.

2 hours ago, LesterRam said:

treated harshly, this poor sod got 6 months jail for verbally abusing someone, we have a reoffending rate of 60% in the UK so the chances of a 20 year old without a job, without a life being even more radicalised when he comes out will be very high.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38892464

he did wrong, wouldn't unpaid work be more fitting?

The article states he was guilty of racially aggravated assault, assault and verbal abuse, not just verbal abuse.

If you've seen the video, you couldn't argue with the sentence handed down.

I have no sympathy. If he had accidentally hit someone he would have probably killed them as well as himself.

If he had killed someone by accident and somehow lived he would have received years inside.

Someone else could do exactly the same and kill someone, they wouldn't have set out to kill someone but the only difference could be defined as pure luck or coincidence. 

I appreciate that you cannot lock someone up for an offence that hasn't happened I.e killing someone but what he did do was wilfully put himself and other road users at risk by his actions. 

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The article states he was guilty of racially aggravated assault, assault and verbal abuse, not just verbal abuse.

I agree and the affect it could have on the victim concerned could be life changing even if he wasnt physically harmed.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

He threw a drink? 

I was reading another article at the same time, young lad about the same age stole a moped, he ran over a police officer and broke the police officers ankle and then fled the scene, suspended sentence for two years, the law is inconsistent and I believe because it was shown on social media and racially aggravated it was harshly dealt with, it was wrong and it should have been dealt with a fine and/or community service.

At 149mph he has turned his bike into a deadly weapon. The guy should never be allowed to drive again. Just because it's the first time he's been caught it doesn't mean it's the first time he's done it! Bike/car/rollerblades I don't care what it is, at that pace he's asking for an accident. 

5 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

He threw a drink? 

I was reading another article at the same time, young lad about the same age stole a moped, he ran over a police officer and broke the police officers ankle and then fled the scene, suspended sentence for two years, the law is inconsistent and I believe because it was shown on social media and racially aggravated it was harshly dealt with, it was wrong and it should have been dealt with a fine and/or community service.

It was still in the keg at the time!

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I agree and the affect it could have on the victim concerned could be life changing even if he wasnt physically harmed.

He was about 30ish and ex-forces, don't make it sound like he had been harpooned, the lad was a complete **** and I suppose he admitted the guilt but putting him inside was wrong for the crime, 20 year old kids do stupid things, imagine if this 20 year kid is put in a cell with some 25 stone muscle mary?

4 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

He was about 30ish and ex-forces, don't make it sound like he had been harpooned, the lad was a complete **** and I suppose he admitted the guilt but putting him inside was wrong for the crime, 20 year old kids do stupid things, imagine if this 20 year kid is put in a cell with some 25 stone muscle mary?

Do you think he'd have gone any easier on an 80 yr old war veteran if he'd have challenged him?

Would he heckers like, the simple fact is the  punishment is based on the offender, and the circumstances, not the victim, and rightly so.

I'm sick to the back teeth of nobs like this, from putting their bags down on seats to stop others from using them, to this sort of behaviour that's seen him rightly jailed, they make ordinary decent people's life who use public transport a misery, I've had enough.

I've done loads of illegal things down the years, but never knowingly at the expense of another human beings happiness or security, which this ******** wouldn't give a toss about.

13 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I can't see where it mentions the mans weight nor his job, but i can't see the relevance, but even if it was are we saying the other people on the end of the attack were also ex forces and 30 stone? The offence isn't related to a single incident, it clearly also states there was an assault.

How can you possibly come to the conclusion that all of those affected during the crime are man enough to not let it affect them? 

3 hours ago, King Kevin said:

The guy's an utterly brainless irresponsible danger to every other driver, rider or pedestrian and should never be allowed on the road again.

You don't accidentally ride your bike at 149 mph on a public road.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Do you think he'd have gone any easier on an 80 yr old war veteran if he'd have challenged him?

Would he heckers like, the simple fact is the  punishment is based on the offender, and the circumstances, not the victim, and rightly so.

I'm sick to the back teeth of nobs like this, from putting their bags down on seats to stop others from using them, to this sort of behaviour that's seen him rightly jailed, they make ordinary decent people's life who use public transport a misery, I've had enough.

I've done loads of illegal things down the years, but never knowingly at the expense of another human beings happiness or security, which this ******** wouldn't give a toss about.

He did wrong, clear to see but six months jail for verbally abusing someone is over the top, my old neighbour had a suspended sentence for sexually assaulting his 18 month daughter and the Police finding 500 indecent images on his PC, its in the context of the crime and the question is not the guilt but the sentence issued, I can go to any football ground and hear abuse at specific footballers, poor old Keogh got some right stick at games and on social media?

Archived