Unhyped TV Series

Day

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Preacher, Gomorrah, Wayward Pines, Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Hand of God, Copper, Ripper Street, Rome, Vikings, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, 

definitely watch Black Mirror if you haven't seen it.

Gomorrah's the best dramas I've seen on telly in years. Gripping!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Preacher, Gomorrah, Wayward Pines, Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Hand of God, Copper, Ripper Street, Rome, Vikings, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, 

definitely watch Black Mirror if you haven't seen it.

Definitely multiple sieg heils for Man in the High Castle. I read Philip Dick's novel something like 40 years ago (I love 'what ifs' and alternative pasts) and although the TV series deviates somewhat, it was well worth watching.

17 minutes ago, eddie said:

Definitely multiple sieg heils for Man in the High Castle. I read Philip Dick's novel something like 40 years ago (I love 'what ifs' and alternative pasts) and although the TV series deviates somewhat, it was well worth watching.

are you aware of season 2? 

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

are you aware of season 2? 

Yep. Watched it last week. Doing films this week. One of the few bonuses of being an unemployed skiver.

10 hours ago, Anon said:

Arrested Development

It's an American comedy series, so considering we're talking about a genre that usually consists of Vince Vaughn lighting his own farts whilst Danny McBride ***** into someone's dinner, we're off to a bad start. The good news is that Arrested Development is nothing like that, the bad news is that it's quite difficult to get into. Essentially it's a farce set around a dysfunctional family. The real draw of the programme is the layer upon layer of call backs and in jokes that make repeated viewings not just satisfying, but essential. It's certainly an acquired taste, but I'd recommend it highly to Curb Your Enthusiasm fans.

Oh, as an interesting side note the third series predicted a right wing political figure running on the platform of building a wall along the Mexican border as they considered it one of the most ridiculous things imaginable and therefore ripe for satire.

Love it. Tried to get my wife into it, but she was having none of it. I love how every episode is like a really long joke building up to an almighty punch line. 

I remember I started watching it half way through the series where he was driving round a set of stairs. That made no sense without a frame of reference, but you just have to go along with it. That was in the days before you could find the whole series anywhere. That would be well worth watching from the beginning. 

9 hours ago, philmycock said:

Apple Tree Yard was intriguing!

I agree there's a lot of nice Dramas these days which ITV and BBC should get praise for especially BBC. Watching Taboo at the moment kind of got the GoT feel to it which is what I need till the new series! (Maybe because the actor from GoT is in it who knows!?). 

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

How do you be an unemployed skiver? I.e. I take from that you used to be a skiver but now your unemployed. 

Bingo

53 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Red Oakes and Bosch on Amazon. Loved them both.

I've just watched the first couple of episodes of Bosch - then the Memsahib said that she had around a dozen of the Michael Connolly books - so i'm sort-of conflicted. Do I read the books first or the rest of the TV programmes?

34 minutes ago, eddie said:

I've just watched the first couple of episodes of Bosch - then the Memsahib said that she had around a dozen of the Michael Connolly books - so i'm sort-of conflicted. Do I read the books first or the rest of the TV programmes?

Nothing usually any good if you have read the book first. I got a feeling the author was involved in the tv though so might complement it rather that make you angry. It does sort of feel like a book though. And different characters from the wire pop up in it, which always gives you a warm feeling inside.

Archived