Unhyped TV Series

David

Inspired by Sages film thread I'm looking for Netflix ideally series that don't have the marketing budget or been given the media push that are worth watching.

When a series becomes hugely popular I often try and avoid it as it's usually absolute rubbish like Game of Thrones. 

I cracked and gave that 3 seasons before realising I was fooled yet again.

Point me in the direction of those hidden gems

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Series of Unfortunate Events - wouldn't call it a hidden gem exactly, but neither would it I call it hyped. Though if you've seen the film you'll know where it goes, but this is better. Aimed at teenagers really,  but much like Toy Story there's plenty of 'adult' humour. 'Adult' as in, jokes kids won't get. Neil Patrick Harris is ace. 

I'm loving it.

1 hour ago, David said:

Inspired by Sages film thread I'm looking for Netflix ideally series that don't have the marketing budget or been given the media push that are worth watching.

When a series becomes hugely popular I often try and avoid it as it's usually absolute rubbish like Game of Thrones. 

What type of thing are you looking for? Comedy, drama?

2 hours ago, David said:

You didn't get into game of thrones?

Well,that's it for you and me.

27 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You didn't get into game of thrones?

Well,that's it for you and me.

Don't worry he's trolled us all before. David likes to get peoples reactions going regarding GOT. We all know it's one of the greatest shows of all time!

Don't feed the troll! :pinch:

1 hour ago, David said:

This is a genuine attempt at finding something actually decent to watch. 

Preacher, Gomorrah, Wayward Pines, Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Hand of God, Copper, Ripper Street, Rome, Vikings, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, 

definitely watch Black Mirror if you haven't seen it.

Marco Polo is probably my favourite of the Netflix originals and it's the one everyone talks least about. In fact most people I know haven't even watched it, despite spending a ton of time on Netflix. 

Season 2 came out recently. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Marco Polo is probably my favourite of the Netflix originals and it's the one everyone talks least about. In fact most people I know haven't even watched it, despite spending a ton of time on Netflix. 

Season 2 came out recently. 

I'm a few episodes away from finishing. The storyline drifted for me, but it's very well made.

I don't know if on Netflix or amazon but Burn Notice wasn't advertised much over here....excellent series which ran a full 7 seasons with a proper conclusion.

Arrested Development

It's an American comedy series, so considering we're talking about a genre that usually consists of Vince Vaughn lighting his own farts whilst Danny McBride ***** into someone's dinner, we're off to a bad start. The good news is that Arrested Development is nothing like that, the bad news is that it's quite difficult to get into. Essentially it's a farce set around a dysfunctional family. The real draw of the programme is the layer upon layer of call backs and in jokes that make repeated viewings not just satisfying, but essential. It's certainly an acquired taste, but I'd recommend it highly to Curb Your Enthusiasm fans.

Oh, as an interesting side note the third series predicted a right wing political figure running on the platform of building a wall along the Mexican border as they considered it one of the most ridiculous things imaginable and therefore ripe for satire.

i don't follow what is popular, for instance have not seen a single minute of Game Of Thrones as it doesn't interest me and i have no idea how popular the show i am recommending is or was but here it is anyway, the funniest deadpan political black humor since Yes Minister but with a war twist.  The Brink.  Tim Robbins and Jack Black head a superb cast of characters.  Why there was never a second season is beyond me.

43 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm a few episodes away from finishing. The storyline drifted for me, but it's very well made.

Part of me wishes they'd left it at one season, but I enjoyed it all non-the-less

Archived