Do you think Leicester will go down?

toddy

I cannot remember a team champions of England struggle the following season to the point of being close to being relegated a season after winning top flight.

They look nothing like the team of last season, their players look dejected and completely off their game, their whole game is designed around counter attacking footie with pace, yet this season its gone to pot and their Manager has no real answers.

Do you think they will be relegated this season?

edit - Having watched the Utd game yesterday I do feel we can take them Wednesday. COYR

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you read their forum comments, it seems half the players can't be arsed (especially Vardy, on £100K PER WEEK, for 4 YEARS!), the rest aren't good enough. They're now regretting not fleecing Arsenal of £40 Million for 'baccy-chewing Jamie. Also, Ranieri (sp?) hasn't the personality to turn it round. Too nice a guy.

I remember when Cloughie won the title at Derby, he said the hardest thing was trying to motivate the players the next season, having achieved what seemed an impossible pinnacle the season before, and le'ts face it, the weren't many greater motivators than Sir Brian. Claudio doesn't stand a chance. Has he gone yet?

Totally predictable. 

A team whose whole system relied on reacting as opposed to being proactive was always going to be a disaster once they made a name for themselves. Then consider that the most vital cog has been sold. It's no surprise that they're still doing alright in Europe.

I do believe some Leicester fans were saying that Huth, Morgan etcetera will still to this day trying to pick out Vardy's runs over the top but teams had worked him out.

I don't for one second buy into this "not trying" crap. People said that about our players under Pearson. 

They seriously should have spent the summer rebuilding into a possession heavy team who can break teams down. I thought they were gonna do this when they were linked to Our Will but clearly they haven't. 

If I were Ranieri, I'd resign. Players look like they couldn't be less interested and they have not won a single away match this season. He might be retiring after quitting Leicester, but taking winner's down wouldn't exactly be achievement to remember. They will get relegated if something doesn't change and that has to be manager. If their board doesn't have balls to do it, Ranieri should.

Punch of mangy foxes, all of them. Ruining sport story of my lifetime with their attitude.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

No they'll be fine. CLEARLY they have an attitude issue. They have achieved and earned the money and now they don't really have to do much else. The only reason they will survive is because Hull, Sunderland and the Eagles are woeful.

Not sure I agree about Hull, they seem to be on the up, ever so slightly.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Not sure I agree about Hull, they seem to be on the up, ever so slightly.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

No they'll be fine. CLEARLY they have an attitude issue. They have achieved and earned the money and now they don't really have to do much else. The only reason they will survive is because Hull, Sunderland and the Eagles are woeful.

would you want big Sam or the tinker man in your corner when times get tough?

You would think they have enough of the winning team in the squad to comfortably avoid relegation.  Just shows how important momentum is in deciding results, last year unstoppable this cant buy a win; and yet nothing as greatly changed to explain such a change

Looking at it realistically, would it REALLY be any great surprise if Leicester did go down?

Ignore the fact that they are Champions - difficult, I know, but look at things realistically.

Prior to last season they were favourites for the drop. Nobody would have been surprised had they gone down then. What about them has really changed since then in terms of quality?

Everybody bandies around the term 'miracle' regarding their league winning exploits. Yes, they're right. So, if it was a miracle then why are we surprised if they do go down? They narrowly avoided relegation 2 years ago, they were favourites for relegation last year so, what has actually changed to suggest that they wouldn't be down there this year?

Okay, so they won the league last year. But we all acknowledge, if we call it a miracle, that it shouldn't have happened. It was a fluke and a complete outlier to their real level. Nobody should be surprised that they've gone back to where they should be - and it is where they should be, make no mistake. Miracles don't happen twice - not in two consecutive seasons.

Last year they played counter attacking football. They've been found out as teams know how to play against them. Even toward the end of last season they looked less convincing as team's sat back and soaked it up. They now try to keep the ball more - but don't have the players to do it. Two ball winners in the middle are not going to do the job of Xavi and Iniesta.

Last year they invited balls into the box and defended every one. This year, teams recognise that Morgan and Huth are slow and lumbering.

Last year they had the best player in the league - Kante. He was their most important player and is now Chelsea's. Losing him has weakened what was already a fairly average squad which overachieved. So, why would they challenge again this season?

Ask yourself this - if you thought they would go down last season and they have virtually the same squad this, why would you expect them to survive based on one fluke year of drastic over-achievement?

Did anyone REALLY rate Vardy before last season? He had pace and could finish but did anyone think he was up to it? What's changed?

Is Mahrez (who I personally rate) REALLY that good? Would he not have made it sooner if he were? The truth appears that he is not up to it when the going gets tough.

Huth and Morgan - they're bang average (at best in Morgan's case) slow centre halves.

And, Ranieri, yes, a hero for last year. But, nobody rated him 18 months ago so... My view is that he should have walked in the summer and protected his legacy. Now he risks tarnishing it.

In essence, Leicester won the league by fluke. Their level is relegation battlers and everything suggests that. So, why are we surprised that they are performing at that level.

And, as a disclaimer, I enjoyed them winning the league immensely. I am not a naysayer - their win gave me, a supporter of a similarly sized club, hope. But, let's be realistic - they're performing as you would expect and, without meaning to gloat, as I predicted at the start of this season.

4 minutes ago, KentRam said:

In essence, Leicester won the league by fluke. Their level is relegation battlers and everything suggests that. So, why are we surprised that they are performing at that level.

And, as a disclaimer, I enjoyed them winning the league immensely. I am not a naysayer - their win gave me, a supporter of a similarly sized club, hope. But, let's be realistic - they're performing as you would expect and, without meaning to gloat, as I predicted at the start of this season.

i think you are right but did anybody ever think you could win the prem by a fluke!

the stars aligned at a time when the big boys all had massive problems, in reality Spurs missed their big chance

44 minutes ago, Spanish said:

i think you are right but did anybody ever think you could win the prem by a fluke!

the stars aligned at a time when the big boys all had massive problems, in reality Spurs missed their big chance

Well, quite. I agree completely and Leicester's win serves only to provide embarrassment for the likes to Arsenal who still couldn't win it when everyone else was woeful.

But, you help make my point. The stars did align. But, why are we surprised that they haven't again this season?

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

would you want big Sam or the tinker man in your corner when times get tough?

You would think they have enough of the winning team in the squad to comfortably avoid relegation.  Just shows how important momentum is in deciding results, last year unstoppable this cant buy a win; and yet nothing as greatly changed to explain such a change

Sam obviously but the whole thing about England I think has changed everyone's view on him. Ok so not everyone but a lot of folk have lost the regard for him that they once had and this can have an effect on the footballing side of things. If he was my manager I would make if clear that I am doing my best for the club NOT for him because I have lost all regard for him.

Big Sam's time has gone now. Nobody listens to him anymore. Dead in the water. Wrong choice of manager by the Eagles IMO.

Archived