Underrated/unknown Films

sage

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Not much of a film watcher, but V for Vendetta is V enjoyable.

I was actually an extra in that film and my claim to fame! Randomly selected as a teen while passing by trafalgar sqr at 1am for the mass gathering scene with masks.  

Absolute favourites:

Bubble Boy

Pie

The Cube

Memento 

City of God

Amores Perros 

Tootsie

1 minute ago, Gypsy Ram said:

That's the one, although the follow up wasn't that great.

didn't know there was a follow up.

I was once looking for a good film, so I went on imdb top rated list and it was the highest film that I hadn't heard of. I also watched the original Korean version (subtitled, NOT dubbed) of Top Boy cos of that list.

I got two more to add.

Two different perspectives about the Israel/Palestine conflict, (i'm hearing sighs and I did the same) but both are not political and really get down to the human interest story. Both well shot and beautifully directed:

Zaytoun: Stephen Dwarf is an IDF pilot who gets shot over Lebanon and strikes a friendship with a Palestinian boy

Paradise Now: Story of two suicide bombers 

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I was once looking for a good film, so I went on imdb top rated list and it was the highest film that I hadn't heard of. I also watched the original Korean version (subtitled, NOT dubbed) of Top Boy cos of that list.

You made me remember the original Japanese movie that the Hunger Games are loosely based on, Battle Star or something... Damn, there are a lot of decent foreign movies out there. I also used to do that...

18 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

You mean Old Boy?

This is a terrible subject for me. Film is what I do!!!

8 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I was actually an extra in that film and my claim to fame! Randomly selected as a teen while passing by trafalgar sqr at 1am for the mass gathering scene with masks.  

Absolute favourites:

Bubble Boy

Pie

The Cube

Memento 

City of God

Amores Perros 

Tootsie

Memento and Amore Perros are both awesome films. 

Seeing as this is a football forum then I would add;

Rise of the Foot Soldier and I.D.  Both good films and equally interesting books for those avid readers 

11 hours ago, eddie said:

Who is to say whether a film is underrated? How do you define an 'unknown' film? I've no idea.

20 years ago, something like Shawshank Redemption perhaps fell into both categories, seeing as it was pretty well a box office flop (despite receiving something like half a dozen Oscar nominations), and it became a video/word of mouth hit. So anyway, here's a few films that I like which may or may not fall into either category (or perhaps they are as common as muck)...

The Last King Of Scotland

V For Vendetta

Threads

The Hill

THX 1138

THX 1138 !.... Oh yes Eddie .. That was the early George Lucas one wasn't it ? . So so clever and the final twist .. Not doing a spoiler. Watched it one night on Telly half a life ago :thumbsup:

real echoes of where we seem to be going. 

A few from the 80's - 

Hoosiers (AKA Best shot) - Brilliant 50's set basketball story

The Sure Thing - One of John Cusack's finest

Top Secret - Funnier than Airplane!

The Changeling - Really creepy ghost story starring George C Scott

The Woman In Black - The 1989 TV movie version is a lot better than the Daniel Radcliffe one

Road Games - Little seen Outback thriller starring Jamie Lee Curtis 

The Great Outdoors/Who's Harry Crumb/Summer Rental - John Candy heaven

The Raid - an incredible action film that although 'known' it never really got the attention it deserved in my opinion.

Ong Bak - one of the best martial arts films I have seen, incredible stunts and sequences.

Drive - isn't underrated but not enough people have seen it in my opinion. 

Old Boy - mentioned above but worth another shout. Don't bother with the remake get the original. A twisted masterpiece.

A few from the 90's

Toy Soldiers - Die Hard in a boarding shool

Ricochet - It's Denzel Washington, nuff said

My Cousin Vinny - Great comedy with Joe Pesci

Hard Boiled - 2nd only to Die Hard in the Greatest Action Movie of All Time stakes

Glengarry Glen Ross - The best film about real estate agents ever made

National Lampoons Loaded Weapon 1 - The last great spoof film

When We Were Kings - The best sports documentary ever made

Hoop Dreams - 2nd best sports documentary ever made

Strange Days - Brilliant, high concept thriller

Retroactive - Low budget time travel thriller starring James Belushi.  Sounds ****, it isn't

Face - A serious take on cockney geezers pulling a bank job, stars Robert Carlyle, Lena Heady & Damon Albarn!

Switchback - Serial killer, road movie.  Keeps you guessing

Thursday - One of the better Tarantino rip offs

Idle Hands - Slacker horror comedy about a teen's possessed hand.  

Bowfinger - The last funny Steve Martin film

Archived