Burnley = a symbol of hope?

Jourdan

Nothing screams "massive club" like having a spiteful hatred of Burnley.

Sometimes despair at this club. My dad watched us beat Real Madrid 4-1 the European cup at a time when we didn't have a time for such petty things. And now we hate Burnley because they took a while to take some throw-ins when they came to Pride Park under Eddie Howe half a decade ago. So small time.

Well done Burnley, yet another club to keep themselves in the top flight while supposedly bigger clubs continue in a spiral of mismanagement. TV money was meant to create a bigger gap between the bigger clubs and the smaller clubs, but clubs like Wolves, Derby, Forest, the Sheffield clubs, Leeds and more seem to scrap for years on end for an off-chance play-off place. If you're a club like Burnley, you can establish yourself as a top flight club just by being sensible.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/02/2017 at 00:13, eddie said:

Apart from the Martin being sent off thing, I have always had a soft spot for Burnley. I even forgive Ralph Coates barging Les Green into the back of the net to equalise after Solly put us 1-0 up in 1970. They are a proper club with proper fans, and good luck to them.

Charlie Austin hattricks, danny ings scored twice every time they play us. Keane developing into a quality centre half despite not showing any real sign of that at derby. Joey barton ... say no more.

Despite having not spent much money until this season they continue to irk out quality players who suit their system and its a system which serves them much better than any system we have had in my memory.

I despise them, even if half of it is out of jealousy. Im never much of a fan of any bogey team of ours to be honest. Burnley, leicester, middlesbrough ipswich. cant stand any of them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 23:45, Jourdan said:

What a season Burnley are having and what a job Sean Dyche is doing!

10th in the Premier League and 10 points clear of the relegation zone in early February.

Had anyone suggested that in pre-season, they would have been laughed out of town.

Of course, there are still 15 games to go and much can change, but is anyone else encouraged by their success?

They have the third best home record in the division and have won 9 games - a club record in the PL era - and they are on course to amass a club record number of points in the same era too.

And all this while relying mostly on the squad that got them out of the Championship, spending less than the cost of John Stones, and signing players who, by and large, were plying their trade in the Championship or lower at the time they were signed.

People will point to their away record, which is currently worse than our away record in 2007-08, and say with 9 away games left including an entire calendar month of away games, they will drop like a stone.

But they have Stoke, WBA and West Ham to play at home and 7 of those 9 away games are against Hull, Swansea, Palace, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Watford and Bournemouth, so surely their away record will drastically improve and surely they will prove everyone wrong, including myself, by staying up rather comfortably?

Does this give anyone hope that if we do eventually go up, there could be more in store for us than dead last if we operate well in the transfer market and find a suitable style of play?

Only if Derby get a manager as good as Dyche......and it's certainly not McLaren.

The next month will be huge for Burnley.

Four away games on the spin; Hull, Swansea, Sunderland then Liverpool. Then Spurs at home. 

If their away form doesn't improve durastically they could well find themselves sucked into the relegation scrap. 

If it does improve and they pick up even three draws from those four away games then I think they'll be alright.

The fact they have about 1 point away from home it is staggering they are 10th. I like most people dislike Burnley mainly for the fact they always seem to turn us over, the incessant noise of a manager who is talking through gravel but i think it probably out of jealousy.

The fact they have had ings, vokes, Gray, Austin  and then even stole jutkewiscz of us. Plus their stadium is crap.

Archived