Burnley = a symbol of hope?

Jourdan

What a season Burnley are having and what a job Sean Dyche is doing!

10th in the Premier League and 10 points clear of the relegation zone in early February.

Had anyone suggested that in pre-season, they would have been laughed out of town.

Of course, there are still 15 games to go and much can change, but is anyone else encouraged by their success?

They have the third best home record in the division and have won 9 games - a club record in the PL era - and they are on course to amass a club record number of points in the same era too.

And all this while relying mostly on the squad that got them out of the Championship, spending less than the cost of John Stones, and signing players who, by and large, were plying their trade in the Championship or lower at the time they were signed.

People will point to their away record, which is currently worse than our away record in 2007-08, and say with 9 away games left including an entire calendar month of away games, they will drop like a stone.

But they have Stoke, WBA and West Ham to play at home and 7 of those 9 away games are against Hull, Swansea, Palace, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Watford and Bournemouth, so surely their away record will drastically improve and surely they will prove everyone wrong, including myself, by staying up rather comfortably?

Does this give anyone hope that if we do eventually go up, there could be more in store for us than dead last if we operate well in the transfer market and find a suitable style of play?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from the Martin being sent off thing, I have always had a soft spot for Burnley. I even forgive Ralph Coates barging Les Green into the back of the net to equalise after Solly put us 1-0 up in 1970. They are a proper club with proper fans, and good luck to them.

Just now, eddie said:

Apart from the Martin being sent off thing, I have always had a soft spot for Burnley. I even forgive Ralph Coates barging Les Green into the back of the net to equalise after Solly put us 1-0 up in 1970. They are a proper club with proper fans, and good luck to them.

Go home Eddie, you've had enough.

In fairness to Burnley, they deserve some credit for sticking with Dyche after relegation from the Premiership the last time round. Many clubs would have sacked him then, despite what he had done the previous season. He responded by getting them promoted again and now they seem to be really finding their feet in the Premiership. Unpopular with some, but Dyche does seem to know how to manage. 

Burnley 2 Derby 5, 1974/75 season. We went on to win the league after this result and then took Leighton James off them the following season.

Bit gutted they've got Jeff as i believe he is a top player.

Fair play with sticking with Dyche though. Its great to see one club rewarding the bloke who took them up.

Anyone see that documentary thing the other night.

It showed a bloke trapped in an air bubble deep inside a sunken ship.

He lived there in vain hope of rescue. Everyone else was dead. 

It made me think.....

Thats what living in Burnley must be like.

a symbol of hope indeed.

Bloody hate Burnley, especially that whining Sean dyche, making it seem like it's a miracle they're up there and every other club is unfairly spending too much money- despite them spending 10 million on Jeff Hendrick! Imagine signing an average championship player for 10 million, got no money have you dyche?! Hope they go down and we go up so we don't have to hear dyche moaning anymore

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Bloody hate Burnley, especially that whining Sean dyche, making it seem like it's a miracle they're up there and every other club is unfairly spending too much money- despite them spending 10 million on Jeff Hendrick! Imagine signing an average championship player for 10 million, got no money have you dyche?! Hope they go down and we go up so we don't have to hear dyche moaning anymore

I'd rather have the 10 million Hendrick over 8 million Vydra

Burnley are a very well run club and although they are a 'yo-yo' club, they will retain their Premier league status comfortably this season.

I've been several times to Burnley and have always found the club and supporters very welcoming and the town itself is a typical Northern industrial town and although it has seen better days, they are very friendly.

Archived