Diesel Vehicles

LesterRam

Telegraph Diesel cars should be phased out to cut the tens of thousands of deaths caused each year from air pollution, the government’s chief medical officer has said.

Guardian Westminster will become the first council in the UK to charge drivers of diesel cars extra money to park as town halls across London battle air pollution.

Gordon Brown introduced tax breaks for diesel cars as the UK chancellor in 2001 because they emit less CO2 than petrol-powered cars, so if you purchased a diesel vehicle on the advice of the government should you be able to claim compensation, we have moved from conventional petrol driven cars that had a 70/30 advantage to a current 50/50 split now, was we fed a porky?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of CO2 no but diesel fumes are far more toxic in every other area than petrol .Very short sighted [stupid ]decision that has had a far greater detrimental effect and of course subsequent governments have gone back on the tax breaks as they are on hybrids .

Did the government act in good faith at the time by encouraging us to buy diesel cars?. The agenda around the time was all about reducing CO2 - did "they" know that diesel was full of all the other nasties we now know it is?.

Air quality wasn't on the agenda back then. CO2 reduction was, thanks to the Kyoto agreement on climate change. Perhaps we should blame those who came up with it?

21 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Electric cars seem to the only long term solution for cleaner air and CO2 reduction. Provided the electricity is generated from clean sources that is. This should have been a global priority for years now. 

I dont know how much truth there is in it, but I always recall stories when i was growing up that when someone invented a usable electric engine, or alternative cleaner, cheaper ways of powering cars etc that the big fuel companies bought the rights to the inventions and buried them.

Could be an old wives tale, but it wouldnt be a stretch to think those stories are true.

21 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I dont know how much truth there is in it, but I always recall stories when i was growing up that when someone invented a usable electric engine, or alternative cleaner, cheaper ways of powering cars etc that the big fuel companies bought the rights to the inventions and buried them.

Could be an old wives tale, but it wouldnt be a stretch to think those stories are true.

I've heard the same, but again i don't know if it's true or not.  I do know that they oil companies lobbied the US government to cut it's funding into the electric or lower emission cars and they got their wish for decades. 

20 minutes ago, rsmini said:

Hydrogen is the way forward. It's basically water so produces no emissions. My dad managed to get a bus to run on hydrogen many years ago before he retired. The only problem was how to store it safely on board 

yeah terrorists could have a mobile bomb :lol:

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

The same story is also common about the everlasting lightbulb. No idea how much truth there is in either claim, but yeah...wouldn't surprise you would it?

40 minutes ago, rsmini said:

Hydrogen is the way forward. It's basically water so produces no emissions. My dad managed to get a bus to run on hydrogen many years ago before he retired. The only problem was how to store it safely on board 

@rsmini's right, short of someone sorting out cold nuclear fusion, the hydrogen fuel cell is the way forward. 

If everyone went out and bought an electric car tomorrow the world would need to build a million new power stations. Also the manufacture of the batteries  needed for electric cars would be an environmental catastrophe. 

edit: The amount of power needed to produce the hydrogen needed would be huge using current technology, so scrub the above, we're doomed.

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Electric cars seem to the only long term solution for cleaner air and CO2 reduction. Provided the electricity is generated from clean sources that is. This should have been a global priority for years now. 

Everything's in place for every manufacturer to run these out now at a higher rate than they currently do. But the world's economy would drop on its arse due to the decline in use of fossil fuels.

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

The same story is also common about the everlasting lightbulb. No idea how much truth there is in either claim, but yeah...wouldn't surprise you would it?

it wouldnt no. It would make sense, probably pay someone off enough money to set them up for life, but with the profits they would have lost or potentially it makes it worthwhile.

50 minutes ago, rsmini said:

No greenhouse emissions when used as a fuel, but how do create the hydrogen in the first place?  Currently most hydrogen is produced by natural gas reforming, which produces a lot greenhouse gases. So from a global warming point of view, HFCs aren't of much benefit at the moment.  Plus hydrogen is really difficult to store and handle in general.

32 minutes ago, Highgate said:

No greenhouse emissions when used as a fuel, but how do create the hydrogen in the first place?  Currently most hydrogen is produced by natural gas reforming, which produces a lot greenhouse gases. So from a global warming point of view, HFCs aren't of much benefit at the moment.  Plus hydrogen is really difficult to store and handle in general.

Electrolysis.

46 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Everything's in place for every manufacturer to run these out now at a higher rate than they currently do. But the world's economy would drop on its arse due to the decline in use of fossil fuels.

I don't know if the effect on the economy would be as bad as you say, seems to me that a shift in technologies might just alter the economy rather than damage it. However, if even it is the case I think its time for governments to get together and start prioritising our environment in the long-term rather than just thinking about our collective economies in the short-term.

Also we need electric cars with better batteries to give them a larger range...making them more attractive to customers.

Archived