• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts would be:

RB

Worth a try: Sam Byram

more realistic: Callum patterson (depending on fitness)/ Todd Kane

CM:

Worth a try: Andrew Surman/ Dale stevens (both out of contract in summer)

more realistic: whoever doesnt get in the Villa side, Joe Ledley 

Forwards:

Worth a try: Ibe

More realistic: Dominic Solanke (loan), Watkins (loan back till jan)

x amount of villa players who made themselves surplus to requirements as villa loom to trim their squad after realising they're not infinity superior to the rest of the division and that no matter how many you sign you can still only field a team of 11. and that they will be having at least one more season of no one in the premier league noticing they were gone.

Some decent players available for less than they were signed for.

Based on not going up

GK - Keep Carson, let Mitchell out on loan bring in an older experienced back up (but not over the hill)

RB - Release Baird, Sell Christie (doesn't work with Ince), bring in reliable Wisdom type and young cover(Patterson)

CD - Sell Shackell, brink in experienced older player happy to cover and young promising player

LB - No change but reduce numbers, keep Lowe and sell Olsson or keep Olsson and loan Lowe out for 6 months

DM - No faith in Thorne being able to stay fit, see how Hanson does at Wigan and either give him a run as orthodox third choice behind Johnson or send him back out on loan. De Sart could still come good as a controller, don't think an older player would be bad here either.

CM - Start from scratch with only Hughes considered as first choice. Buy a runner/engine as a priority and spend big if needed, Shift on everyone else and bring in new blood.

Forwards - Ince and Martin are a given, Nugent is useful. Need to see if we can get Vydra playing wide left and Blackman operating as central player in sub appearances but realistically think we need to hit the foreign market here - more of an allrounder than Razza, and Russell needs to move on regardless of record with Martin, we need to improve that area as second priority. Wouldn't object to Ibe (maybe loan) but 1) if that was going to happen I think it would have this month, and 2) as with Wisdom I'm unsure of going back.

Anyone not mentioned can go apart from Anya as Mr Utility, need to be looking at getting Guy, Vernam, Zanzala, Elsnik and the Scottish lad in and around the squad and blooded.

Presuming we don't win the play-offs...

I'd actually keep Baird, and wouldn't be surprised if Mac chose to as well. He's just about to hit 35 so by the end of next season he'll be 36. He's never really had pace and you can't lose what you didn't have. His experience has made us a better side overall, even though Christie does offer us things Baird does not. It wouldn't do much harm to keep him around for his versatility and experience, although he may drop down to 3rd choice RB if he does stay. Regardless of whether he stays or not, I reckon that'll be one of the first areas we'll bring somebody in, potentially as first choice.

Going through the positions, GK we're fine. Defence other than RB we're fine, although LB may need looking at depending on the fitness of Lowe and Forsyth. If we have at least one of those fit enough to add to Olsson, we should be fine. I'd look at a CDM good enough to play ahead of Thorne because as good as he is, he can't be relied on. Although his injuries haven't been your typical recurring injuries, I'm not the only one who fears the worse every time he goes down. A quality partner for Hughes is needed. At least one of Butters, Bradley or Bryson would have to go.

A quality left winger is needed. If we can find someone as good as Ince on the left, we're laughing. A young, hungry striker to come in, either bought or up from the academy. Would give us CM, Nugent and younger player. Expect Bent may go. I'd also like to look at younger players to fill the places of squad players. Players like Watkins and Lawrence have been mentioned and they are the sort of players who would be better to bring in. Players who have reached the age of their peak who still aren't considered good enough by the management to break into the side should be gone. Would rather have a younger player who can develop into a better player and at least has a better chance of a higher resale value. Camara and Weimann would be on my outlist. Blackman to potentially join them. McClaren hasn't really had an opportunity to pick him yet. If he breaks into the side and does well, obviously keep. If he's fit but can't get into the team - get rid.

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

Presuming we don't win the play-offs...

I'd actually keep Baird, and wouldn't be surprised if Mac chose to as well. He's just about to hit 35 so by the end of next season he'll be 36. He's never really had pace and you can't lose what you didn't have. His experience has made us a better side overall, even though Christie does offer us things Baird does not. It wouldn't do much harm to keep him around for his versatility and experience, although he may drop down to 3rd choice RB if he does stay. Regardless of whether he stays or not, I reckon that'll be one of the first areas we'll bring somebody in, potentially as first choice.

Going through the positions, GK we're fine. Defence other than RB we're fine, although LB may need looking at depending on the fitness of Lowe and Forsyth. If we have at least one of those fit enough to add to Olsson, we should be fine. I'd look at a CDM good enough to play ahead of Thorne because as good as he is, he can't be relied on. Although his injuries haven't been your typical recurring injuries, I'm not the only one who fears the worse every time he goes down. A quality partner for Hughes is needed. At least one of Butters, Bradley or Bryson would have to go.

A quality left winger is needed. If we can find someone as good as Ince on the left, we're laughing. A young, hungry striker to come in, either bought or up from the academy. Would give us CM, Nugent and younger player. Expect Bent may go. I'd also like to look at younger players to fill the places of squad players. Players like Watkins and Lawrence have been mentioned and they are the sort of players who would be better to bring in. Players who have reached the age of their peak who still aren't considered good enough by the management to break into the side should be gone. Would rather have a younger player who can develop into a better player and at least has a better chance of a higher resale value. Camara and Weimann would be on my outlist. Blackman to potentially join them. McClaren hasn't really had an opportunity to pick him yet. If he breaks into the side and does well, obviously keep. If he's fit but can't get into the team - get rid.

I can't seem to quote the bits I want to.

I'll go along with most of it,especially re Baird.Surely good cover for 12 months a really good professional who has earn't it.

Much will depend on which players are shipped out but a few possibles might be:

Abrahams - loan from Chelsea
Watkins - Permanent from Brentford
Gunnarsson - Permanent from Cardiff
Paterson - Permanent from Hearts
Sako - Loan to permanent from Palace

My record on predicting signings is utterly tragic however, so scratch all o the above form your thinking :blink:

If I was at the club in a scouting or recruitment role I would be looking at youth players who are possibly about to get released by big premier league clubs. As a previous poster mentioned, they Hoover up loads of the young talent, almost too many to fully utilise and some players have to drop for first team football or to rebuild a youth career.

mitchell was released by Newcastle and has gone to to get England youth level recognition and pro contract and second choice role with us.

im not talking about players like bamford or ibe, I'm talking about players we have probably never heard of unless we really know our youth football (no FIFA or footy manager scouts).

scout intensively u23 games domestically, have your ear to the ground from agents looking to tip us when their young clients are told/given the impression they won't get pro deals or extended deals and try and pick up the best young talent and allow them a couple more years to develop.

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

That izzy brown has looked very good at Huddersfield which is strange as when he was at Rotherham this season he didn't 

Playing in a much better team always helps, particularly if you're an attacking player.

good call Jota definitely worth a shout. Last time around McClaren picked up some very promising and useful loan signings Wisdom,Lingard,and Ibe etc This what we need to concentrate along with up and coming younger talent from the lower leagues. This is the only place where you will get value for money with minimal risk

Over to our scouting department.

22 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

good call Jota definitely worth a shout. Last time around McClaren picked up some very promising and useful loan signings Wisdom,Lingard,and Ibe etc This what we need to concentrate along with up and coming younger talent from the lower leagues. This is the only place where you will get value for money with minimal risk

Over to our scouting department.

They maybe better joining the scouts and leave player recruitment to members of this forum. Not signing Ollie Watkins big mistake.

Archived