management computer games from your youth

dog

Here's a hint for anyone going back to 1992.

On Championship Manager 92, set up a 2 player - be Blackburn and Derby. Sell Alan Shearer and Stuart Ripley and whoever else  - then use all the money to buy Paul Kitson for blackburn for like 50 million. Then resign from blackburn leaving you with your very rich Derby team.

Buy Chris Bart Williams - he goes on to be the best player in the world. I don't think he quite got there in real life.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 23:25, Parsnip said:

Here's a hint for anyone going back to 1992.

On Championship Manager 92, set up a 2 player - be Blackburn and Derby. Sell Alan Shearer and Stuart Ripley and whoever else  - then use all the money to buy Paul Kitson for blackburn for like 50 million. Then resign from blackburn leaving you with your very rich Derby team.

Buy Chris Bart Williams - he goes on to be the best player in the world. I don't think he quite got there in real life.

Boo! Cheat! I bet you turn off and reload if you lose an important game too.

The Derby team at the start of that game should be good enough to get promoted with minimal additions. A very young Robbie Fowler is normally available on the cheap from Liverpool. If they won't sell him, take Lee Jones instead. Sutton and Taylor are pretty bad too, so buy a new 'keeper. Andy Woodman is normally a good shout.

Kitson  Johnson Fowler/Jones

Simpson  Pembridge  Kuhl

Forsyth  Coleman(C)  Short  Charles

Woodman

3 hours ago, GeneralRam said:

Ultimate Soccer Manager was the best!

I always felt USM was a bit of a let down in terms of the team management. The UI was fantastic though. There were so many nice touches that made the game very immersive, such as getting faxes about prospective transfers and having match reports printed in the local paper. Developing your stadium was great fun too.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

I always felt USM was a bit of a let down in terms of the team management. The UI was fantastic though. There were so many nice touches that made the game very immersive, such as getting faxes about prospective transfers and having match reports printed in the local paper. Developing your stadium was great fun too.

Not only that, that you could offer other teams bungs, offer to throw the game for money, bet on your football matches and be a bit dodgy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2017 at 21:53, Wolfie said:

Anyone reminiscing about old 1980s FM, check out Kevin Toms football star manager App on iOS and android. £3 and an awful like FM on the Speccy. Apparently he's the guy who wrote the original. 

Been playing this for a while. First as DCFC but got bored once I'd won the title & cups a few times on easy level and ended up with over a billion in the bank.

Now started again on a harder level as a made up team and doing OK in the Prem, though a bit more of a challenge.

It has reminded me of playing FM on my 80's Electron and I was Man Utd at the time but had a really unfit squad. You could make the players inelligible for selection by transfer listing them and rejecting offers that come in. One time I decided to do that to the entire squad, to help with their fitness levels - It'd mean a thrashing in one game but would make me a lot stronger afterwards.

Anyway, I did that and my next game was against Derby. Sure enough, I went into the game with nobody on the pitch.......and won 1-0.

Archived