management computer games from your youth

dog

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to be all aboit championship manager back in the late 90s, then the brains behind that went to make football manager, which really took over and raised the bar to new levels.

as a "plug in and play" manager game there was Kevin Keenan's soccer manager on the old SNES

The Boss on Acorn Electron.

It was really difficult and you always ended up running out of money and players' skills kept dropping during the season for no apparent reason. Thankfully you could press Break and then O.L. and change the programming to give yourself however much money you wanted and increase player skills - though I never did work out how to stop them falling gradually. Training didn't seem to have any effect.

FM was far easier.

I had Mexico 86 football manager game for the acorn electron, i spent so much time playing this. Qualfiying for he world cup, then taking part. Naff graphics but still remember how great it felt when a goal went in. Didnt even come in fancy packaging, just a plain box.

One of the first FM games i had i think was called soccer manager for the spectrum, you started in division 4 and worked your way up.

As an impatient young teen I worked out how to break into the program and gave myself loads of money and just went out and got all the best players, looking back what was the point of that, but it kept me happy.

Not really management but I'd spend whole days playing Matchday and Matchday II on the spectrum. You'd head the ball and it would loop into the air for about 5 minutes before it came down again and the running from the players looked like some camp power walk. It certainly wasn't running.

Classic.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Not really management but I'd spend whole days playing Matchday and Matchday II on the spectrum. You'd head the ball and it would loop into the air for about 5 minutes before it came down again and the running from the players looked like some camp power walk. It certainly wasn't running.

Classic.

They were great. Not to difficult to play. Now if I look at FIFA I'm worn out by the time I've read the instructions. I reckon I need extra hands and fingers to perform certain moves.

What I liked about the old management games was that they were simple. If I wanted to, I could complete a whole season on FM in about 45 minutes.

I'd like to play those games again but just don't have the free time any more to spend hours looking at different training & development options & maybe playing 2 matches in one evening's free time.

Anyone know of any phone app or ipad ones that can be played quickly?

10 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Classic.

Can you remember the 'diamond deflection system' that Matchday 2 introduced?  Loved it.

On 1.2.2017 at 12:21, Paul71 said:

I had Mexico 86 football manager game for the acorn electron, i spent so much time playing this. Qualfiying for he world cup, then taking part. Naff graphics but still remember how great it felt when a goal went in. Didnt even come in fancy packaging, just a plain box.

One of the first FM games i had i think was called soccer manager for the spectrum, you started in division 4 and worked your way up.

As an impatient young teen I worked out how to break into the program and gave myself loads of money and just went out and got all the best players, looking back what was the point of that, but it kept me happy.

I think that was the name for the version I played with Amiga... Not sure. But I do remember playing Football manager with Commodore 64.

Later we used to play Sensible World of Soccer without playing games so basically it was a manager game. Soccer manager or whatever it was called, was excellent.

For management games I have played them ever since I was 7.  We first got our Spectrum 48k to play the original Kevin Toms Football Manager.  We played it a lot (and Kevin Toms has recently relaunched it as an app but it was getting mixed reviews) and I loved the fact that at the end of each season all your players skills (rated 1-5) all randomly regenerated.

Other Spectrum games I have played (good and bad)

Soccer Boss / The Boss - loved it, would still play it now if I could.  I once won a European Trophy and no word of a lie, there was no fanfare just a simple message of 'Watch out Cloughie'.  I reckon I could still remember a lot of the players names even now.

Tracksuit Manager - This was an international management game and you could pick from about 100 England players.  Very good game in its day.

Football Director / Football Director 2 - These should have been good and started to introduce a few stats but it was insanely hard.  I actually bought a Spectrum 128k just to play FD2 on!

Kenny Dalglish Soccer Manager - I remember this being good but about from being able to play season in a few minutes, I can't remember why.

Multi Player Soccer Manager - Again I remember it as good but mainly because I used to start managing the maximum 4 teams and transfer all the best players and cash to one team and resigning from the other 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived