On the fiddle

daib0

On the fiddle

No, not some kind of social-economic topic, or my dubious handling of any inter-forum game I organize, but daib0 here playing live on the cello ….

It's a small ask coming up – and I know it’s nothing to do at all with footie, but just hoping for a bit of extra comradeship, shouldn’t cost you hardly 3 mins!! Won’t pester you on this, promise. Well, the next time the Royals and Rams meet then that’s a different story!

Some of you will know then I’m a cellist when I'm not a Reading fan for my sins…. well, I’m happy to pass you the link of one of the most difficult pieces ever attempted/played on cello, and just done. And I really enjoyed this challenge …!

YOU TUBE David Johnstone plays Sarasate  Aires Bohemios  on  Cello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=31s 

If you were able to share this link amongst a few friends & colleagues I would be very grateful indeed (‘cos it’s always the same, people think more visits = better, and to be honest that’s pretty hard to get on a ‘classical’ instrument like the cello.) … especially as I’m not registered for Facebook, LinkedIn etc. though I do make it on twitter. The thing is, people were asking for a close-up video to see for real, not the loads of audios which are already up on internet!!

daib0 / David

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a go but the link doesn't seem to work ? 

Desperately sad the lack of appreciation of classical music beyond film scores. When I was very young, Marisa Robles (harp) played at our school. A memory and a sound that has stayed with me right through my life. 

8 minutes ago, jono said:

Desperately sad the lack of appreciation of classical music beyond film scores. When I was very young, Marisa Robles (harp) played at our school. A memory and a sound that has stayed with me right through my life. 

sorry, see above, don't know what I did wrong first time! 

Hope that records as a watch !

remarkable, beautiful. You have a gift

The thing that makes me smile even more than the music is that you clearly love football AND classical music. I have a long standing irritation that society pigeon holes us. You are either Jack the lad footy fan or arty fatrty artist. Science or literature, a logical technician or an appreciator of something aesthetic  .. Why can't we be both taking pleasure and appreciating all things  ?

good luck 

now to be dead honest with you all (I've said to a couple privately), I took life a bit too comfortably between 35 and 50, where I had this routine-ish job to pay the house and bills in a regional orchestra in Spain unlikely destined to go on world tours - came to a point when I thought my time might be passing too quickly so ... the last two or three years I've taken the cello far, far more seriously, really thought I could push myself much farther and demand things from myself that most other cellists wouldn't even attempt, though it might be just only be for personal satisfaction - and now? Just hope I haven't peaked yet, hahaha!!

Thanks for your attention, lads. I always say, one of the best forums around without doubt 

David

9 hours ago, jono said:

Maria's Robles's collaboration with Galway playing Mozart went a long way towards inspiring me to start playing the flute 25 years ago!

I love to hear any instrument played well.?

13 hours ago, mozza said:

Always thought @steve brummie could make a career out of music, very talented on various instruments. Not sure where he got his musical influence from , as neither me or his other brother Dave could even whistle in tune ..

Strange that , i need to look into it ..

Like our Dad, we all enjoyed good music as an art form to be enjoyed.

There is an old saying that it's good to have three children.

If one of them is a genius the other two can support him! ?

On 31/01/2017 at 17:24, daib0 said:

On the fiddle

No, not some kind of social-economic topic, or my dubious handling of any inter-forum game I organize, but daib0 here playing live on the cello ….

It's a small ask coming up – and I know it’s nothing to do at all with footie, but just hoping for a bit of extra comradeship, shouldn’t cost you hardly 3 mins!! Won’t pester you on this, promise. Well, the next time the Royals and Rams meet then that’s a different story!

Some of you will know then I’m a cellist when I'm not a Reading fan for my sins…. well, I’m happy to pass you the link of one of the most difficult pieces ever attempted/played on cello, and just done. And I really enjoyed this challenge …!

YOU TUBE David Johnstone plays Sarasate  Aires Bohemios  on  Cello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=31s 

If you were able to share this link amongst a few friends & colleagues I would be very grateful indeed (‘cos it’s always the same, people think more visits = better, and to be honest that’s pretty hard to get on a ‘classical’ instrument like the cello.) … especially as I’m not registered for Facebook, LinkedIn etc. though I do make it on twitter. The thing is, people were asking for a close-up video to see for real, not the loads of audios which are already up on internet!!

daib0 / David

Really enjoyed that, thank you for starting my day. In that fashion..

Marvellous. That was some technical piece. Pizzicato, glissando, staccato.....very moving work and I can see why you should rightly have a huge sense of achievement

Do keep it going as you have reached a standard there that I could only dream about as I fumble around with my classical guitar......

(I tried to post a gif with applause but don't know how to do it, technology luddite that I am :unsure:)

Archived