England Rugby 2017

froggg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Again we make hard work of the Italians... Credit to them though, came with a game plan and upset the white wave.

Enjoyed the game.. Bring on the jokes, I mean jocks.

We always underperform against the Italians. You could set your watch by it. That said, we've won all three games 'ugly', not that I'm knocking it as 17 games unbeaten tells its own story. The Scots will provide a stern test as they are on the up and they're another side against whom we are often below our best. I'd like to think we'll finally liven ourselves up a bit and play for 80 minutes not 30 though in which case I'd fancy us to edge it. Ireland at the Aviva would then be some finale, especially on Paddy's weekend. Tickets are going for £4k for anyone with overflowing pockets :blink:

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

We always underperform against the Italians. You could set your watch by it. That said, we've won all three games 'ugly', not that I'm knocking it as 17 games unbeaten tells its own story. The Scots will provide a stern test as they are on the up and they're another side against whom we are often below our best. I'd like to think we'll finally liven ourselves up a bit and play for 80 minutes not 30 though in which case I'd fancy us to edge it. Ireland at the Aviva would then be some finale, especially on Paddy's weekend. Tickets are going for £4k for anyone with overflowing pockets :blink:

Same day as we play Forest isn't it... Train London to Nottingham, then over to Derby, watch the rugby and then back to London from Derby.

Hopefully DCFC and England wins.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Same day as we play Forest isn't it... Train London to Nottingham, then over to Derby, watch the rugby and then back to London from Derby.

Hopefully DCFC and England wins.

Indeed. Depending on results you might be living up to your moniker bud! Let's hope not eh!

28 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Again we make hard work of the Italians... Credit to them though, came with a game plan and upset the white wave.

Enjoyed the game.. Bring on the jokes, I mean jocks.

Eddie Jones comments after the match were a joke. He got outcoached in the first half and didn't like it. Pathetic reference to Chappell. He then tried to shift the pressure onto Scotland for the next match.

England should canter the 6 nations this year, but have played poorly against France and Italy. Strength in depth will come to the fore in the next 2 games. 

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Eddie Jones comments after the match were a joke. He got outcoached in the first half and didn't like it. Pathetic reference to Chappell. He then tried to shift the pressure onto Scotland for the next match.

England should canter the 6 nations this year, but have played poorly against France and Italy. Strength in depth will come to the fore in the next 2 games. 

We weren't poor against France. They were good. Like Wales, they absolutely smashed into us right from the get-go and it took a side missing several key players a good while to settle into the game. We struggled to get front-foot ball and our set-piece was not as solid as most often is. We also compounded problems against both teams by being less clinical than we have been over the last 12 months when chances presented themselves but we were not poor, just off our best.

I can also understand where EJ was coming from with his comments. Folk don't fork out £90 per ticket to watch sides dodge the contact areas and swap Union for League.  Also, Jones is a master at getting folk ranting about him whilst removing focus from the team. He divides opinion but his coaching record speaks for itself and he's entitled to his opinions which folk can take onboard or ignore as they see fit.

Given the circumstances, if 6 tries is symptomatic of a team playing poorly then we'll accept the criticism from those playing better than us and move on. After 17 games unbeaten you'd think the team were due a little respect but clearly some prefer to run us down than give us so much as a modicum of credit. Yes, our toughest matches might be ahead of us and yes, we may well lose one or even both. The winning run can't last forever and even the mighty ABs faltered in the end, but anyone believing we've suddenly become a poor team overnight might just find themselves eating a large slice of humble pie in the not too distant future. 

@86 points all fair comments regarding the England side. Credit where credits due and they are winning their games without reaching the heights of the summer in Australia. 

As an outsider looking in, it does look like there is a drop off in performance, and I think Jones comments / deflection reflects that he thinks the same. 

From a personal point of view, I think he has gone over the top by having a go at the Italians. What are they meant to do? Play the way England want them to and get thumped by 60 points? They have already been slaughtered by everyone for the 2 games previous and they try something thats still within the rules that gives them a chance to stay competitive and Jones has a go publicly. 

As for him telling the fans they should get their money back, he should have a look at the England team in the 80's / 90's that bored the rugby world to death by sticking it up their jumpers for 80 mins. You play to your strengths and thats what Italy did yesterday. 

Where I will give the RFU a massive slap on the back is the way the have handled the professional era. There are some seriously good young players coming through the system and it will keep English rugby at the top for many a year. 

The conditioning and skills of the players nowadays are light years away from even 10 years ago, and thats credit to the coaching and development of the grass route structure in place across the country. Football could learn a thing or two. 

As a fan of a "minor nation" as it was put to me in the pub on Saturday, we will always love having a pop at the bigger nations and it makes any victory always taste sweeter. It irks when the bigger nations then bleat and moan as Jones and Matt Dawson did yesterday. 

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

@86 points all fair comments regarding the England side. Credit where credits due and they are winning their games without reaching the heights of the summer in Australia. 

As an outsider looking in, it does look like there is a drop off in performance, and I think Jones comments / deflection reflects that he thinks the same. 

From a personal point of view, I think he has gone over the top by having a go at the Italians. What are they meant to do? Play the way England want them to and get thumped by 60 points? They have already been slaughtered by everyone for the 2 games previous and they try something thats still within the rules that gives them a chance to stay competitive and Jones has a go publicly. 

As for him telling the fans they should get their money back, he should have a look at the England team in the 80's / 90's that bored the rugby world to death by sticking it up their jumpers for 80 mins. You play to your strengths and thats what Italy did yesterday. 

Where I will give the RFU a massive slap on the back is the way the have handled the professional era. There are some seriously good young players coming through the system and it will keep English rugby at the top for many a year. 

The conditioning and skills of the players nowadays are light years away from even 10 years ago, and thats credit to the coaching and development of the grass route structure in place across the country. Football could learn a thing or two. 

As a fan of a "minor nation" as it was put to me in the pub on Saturday, we will always love having a pop at the bigger nations and it makes any victory always taste sweeter. It irks when the bigger nations then bleat and moan as Jones and Matt Dawson did yesterday. 

Fair points. well made fella. From an English perspective it always seems we're getting brickbats left, right and centre whatever we do but the point you make about 'taking scalps' is valid - if our footy team nailed Brazil and Germany in a WC doubtless the chatter would run for weeks.

Best of luck at Twickenham. Hoping we see a proper game of rugby at very least!

5 hours ago, 86 points said:

Fair points. well made fella. From an English perspective it always seems we're getting brickbats left, right and centre whatever we do but the point you make about 'taking scalps' is valid - if our footy team nailed Brazil and Germany in a WC doubtless the chatter would run for weeks.

Best of luck at Twickenham. Hoping we see a proper game of rugby at very least!

Cheers, we will need all the luck going to keep close to you.  

We have to beat the hoodoo at some point, just don't think it's going to be this year. 

We only win Grand Slams when we've got the French and England at home, so earmark next year..........

4 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Cheers, we will need all the luck going to keep close to you.  

We have to beat the hoodoo at some point, just don't think it's going to be this year. 

We only win Grand Slams when we've got the French and England at home, so earmark next year..........

Grand Slams are a tough ask as inevitably there's the odd difficult away fixture to be negotiated. Found a stat that stunned me the other night whilst musing on the 6N. The last Irish Grand Slam was 2009 - the previous (and only other time they've achieved it) was in 1948!!! Bonkers! Was sure they'd won one or two when I was a kid and before you say it, I wasn't around for the '48 season! :lol:  

Archived