Sorry about this

dog

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dog said:

Just read that our leader has refused to condemn Trump's latest xenophobic ramblings.

Theresa May

Shame on you

I though you meant David when you referred to "our leader".

I'm not sure there's much worth condemning anyway, but we want to sign a trade deal with the guy and it'll be easier to sign without a knife in his back. There's no room for vapid virtue signalling in international politics. Maybe try Tumblr instead?

When you want to establish a good working relationship with someone it's usually not a good idea to tell them at your first meeting the things you don't like about them.

Look how far Laura Kuenssberg's question got her. If you want to convince someone to change it's best to get close to them first.

2 hours ago, dog said:

Just read that our leader has refused to condemn Trump's latest xenophobic ramblings.

Theresa May

Shame on you

The whole thing is a mess right now. Signing this deal with Turkey in light with all the human rights abuses? This is the murkiest politics has been in decades. I say bring back Tony Blair. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Anon said:

There's no room for vapid virtue signalling in international politics. Maybe try Tumblr instead?

I think you're making the mistake of confusing virtue signalling with not normalising fascism. If nobody is willing to stand up for people being discriminated against, vain career politicians think that it's what people want.

6 hours ago, Tombo said:

I think you're making the mistake of confusing virtue signalling with not normalising fascism. If nobody is willing to stand up for people being discriminated against, vain career politicians think that it's what people want.

Yes, labeling Trump as a fascist doesn't make you look like a melodramatic drama queen in the slightest.

I wonder where this outcry was for us to condemn Recep Erdogan when tens of thousands of Turks were rounded up without trial? Where are the calls for us to denounce an actual totalitarian one party state in China? Why didn't anyone care when Narendra Modi introduced the Armed Forces Special Powers Act that allows states to effectively declare martial law whilst granting security forces immunity from civilian prosecutions? It is not a human right for absolutely anyone to be allowed to enter or emigrate to the US. It is absolutely none of our business who the US does or doesn't want to allow into their country.

20 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Nope. It doesn't, because both in rhetoric and action he's proved that's exactly what he is. 

Tell yourself whatever you need to get through the day. All that will happen is that the terms Nazi and fascist will cease to have such a social stigma if you continue to misuse them. Much like what is currently happening with the word racist.

We might have different definitions for fascism and other similar terms here. IMO there's fascism without racism but not without protectionism, which is exactly how Trumps has started his presidential career.

If protectionism would work, North Korea and Iran would be mightiest countries in the world...

I strongly suggest to watch "Backlight: The Chinese World Order". It might be the reason why Trump is acting like he is.

Archived