Do you remember when...?

Stive Pesley

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

DO you remember saving up your pocket money/paper round money to be able to go to Boots and buy a tape cassette with a game on it, and then you'd get it home and play it constantly, even if it was in actual fact a bit rubbish and it fitted in 48k of memory?

My youngest just filled a 16gb SD card on his Kindle Fire in the space of a morning by downloading game after game instantly, playing them for about 10 seconds and realising they were all toss

Treasure Island Dizzy was great value for about 2.99

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/01/2017 at 16:58, StivePesley said:

DO you remember saving up your pocket money/paper round money to be able to go to Boots and buy a tape cassette with a game on it, and then you'd get it home and play it constantly, even if it was in actual fact a bit rubbish and it fitted in 48k of memory?

My youngest just filled a 16gb SD card on his Kindle Fire in the space of a morning by downloading game after game instantly, playing them for about 10 seconds and realising they were all toss

Ah, you can't go back ... ESPECIALLY with computer games. Best to remember them fondly and leave it at that.

I remember when I was young and before I went to the BBG regularly that I could be doing keep-uppies in my back garden (only garden!) and could hear the roar from the Baseball Ground.

Impressively, I was on Moss Street, off Stockbrook Street, and a couple of miles from the BBG.

You can barely hear Pride Park from 100 yards away on Match Day.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I remember when I was young and before I went to the BBG regularly that I could be doing keep-uppies in my back garden (only garden!) and could hear the roar from the Baseball Ground.

Impressively, I was on Moss Street, off Stockbrook Street, and a couple of miles from the BBG.

The soundproofing on more modern buildings have to reach a certain standard to meet Building Regs..

I remember 'dial a disc' in the phone box at the top of the road and an annoyed looking adult standing outside giving you the evil eye waiting to use the phone. 

Doing 'penny for the guy' outside the shops and buying jumping jacks with the money. 

I went to Noel Baker school and the teachers wore those black capes. We had uniforms and used to modify them. Huge knots in your tie, wedge shoes and sneaking past the deputy head so she didn't clock your nail polish. The old ruler to measure how far above your knees your skirt hem was. No trousers for girls! Being watched having a shower after PE and forced under the cold water. Carving names in the leather on your satchel. 

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not strictly true. My missus was walking the dog on Darley Park the other week and said you could hear the singing. That's at least two miles away. I guess the wind was in the right direction :)

3 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I remember 'dial a disc' in the phone box at the top of the road and an annoyed looking adult standing outside giving you the evil eye waiting to use the phone. 

Doing 'penny for the guy' outside the shops and buying jumping jacks with the money. 

I went to Noel Baker school and the teachers wore those black capes. We had uniforms and used to modify them. Huge knots in your tie, wedge shoes and sneaking past the deputy head so she didn't clock your nail polish. The old ruler to measure how far above your knees your skirt hem was. No trousers for girls! Being watched having a shower after PE and forced under the cold water. Carving names in the leather on your satchel. 

hmm ..

Sherbet dabs with a hollow licorice "straw" .. That school bullies would fill with chalk dust and give to the young 'uns

3 star hotels for sales reps where everything was orange and brown with curious stains on the carpet and showers that dribbled about 1 pint a minute of water, that went from somewhere between freezing and super heated steam. 

Ice on the inside of my bedroom window and Mum putting a convector heater on in my bedroom if it was especially cold.

those weird railway carriages with lots of doors and individual compartments for 6 people .. "OMG I wish I had t got in this one ! " And not being able to do anything about it. 

Archived