Do you remember when...?

Stive Pesley

I find those internet memes about how great things were in “the olden days” quite annoying. Not that I disagree with everything on them, some things were obviously simpler, and simple is often good, but people have  a tendency to not just wear rose-tinted specs – more like rose-tinted VR headsets and brain transplants.

So with modernity in mind –here are a couple to start you off. Things that children today must find unfathomable!

Remember when your child was born and you dashed out with a pocket full of 10ps into  the hospital corridors looking for the pay phone, then ringing through all the phone numbers written in your notebook. Now you just do it on a mobile at the side of the bed, and even send pictures.

Remember when the passport photo booths took 4 different photos and you had no idea if they were any good until 10 minutes later when the machine spat them out. If they were rubbish you had to do it all again. Now you get to see & choose the one photo before it’s printed instantly 4 times

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate anything modern, people have become extremely anti-social due to anti-social media.

I can remember the old phones that you dialled and you forgot the number half way through and you had to start again, if you was in a pay phone you had to put your ten pence piece back in.

rotary-phone.jpg

...there were no mobiles.

In my late teens I would think nothing of going out late at night in my old car & drive to country pubs round Hope Valley, Bakewell, Monyash, Buxton etc with a few mates & coming back on country lanes in the early hours etc. Mobiles didn't exist.

Now, I go 5 minutes down the road without my phone and feel annoyingly vulnerable all of a sudden if I've left it at home.

15 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I hate anything modern, people have become extremely anti-social due to anti-social media.

I can remember the old phones that you dialled and you forgot the number half way through and you had to start again, if you was in a pay phone you had to put your ten pence piece back in.

rotary-phone.jpg

Trying to make a secret phone call on one of these things without your parents hearing was impossible!

22 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Trying to make a secret phone call on one of these things without your parents hearing was impossible!

Ha yeah when i lived at home my mum was really nosey, hanging around as you were on the phone trying to work out who you were talking to.

3 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

That's if the phone didn't have a lock on it, having to ask parents for permission to use the phone and get the magic key!

Chatting up a young lady on a Saturday night and arranging to meet her Monday night outside Jimmys.  Then after a few drinks going to Baileys.

If she didn't turn up then you met up with your mates and still went to Baileys. Women got in for free as it was ladies night on a Monday so there was always plenty of women to chat up and sometimes you bumped into the young lady that had stood you up that night, which your mates found funny.

All done without the use of mobile phones

Our first phone line was a party line and you picked the phone up and started to dial only to realise there's this random conversation going on by the other 'party'. 

For the information of the younger poster, a party line was a shared telephone line rather than an early predecessor to the less salubrious chat lines ( unless you were 'partied' with someone extremely dodgy!)

Remember when your phone number was just the STD code plus 3 or 4 digits?

Remember when the call box had buttons 'A' and 'B', and a local call was 4 old pennies?

12 hours ago, angieram said:

Our first phone line was a party line and you picked the phone up and started to dial only to realise there's this random conversation going on by the other 'party'. 

For the information of the younger poster, a party line was a shared telephone line rather than an early predecessor to the less salubrious chat lines ( unless you were 'partied' with someone extremely dodgy!)

I forgot about that. Us too. We shared ours with the Polish couple who lived opposite. It was about 1975. Imagine that...coming over here...sharing our phone lines :lol:

12 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Chatting up a young lady on a Saturday night and arranging to meet her Monday night outside Jimmys.  Then after a few drinks going to Baileys.

If she didn't turn up then you met up with your mates and still went to Baileys. Women got in for free as it was ladies night on a Monday so there was always plenty of women to chat up and sometimes you bumped into the young lady that had stood you up that night, which your mates found funny.

All done without the use of mobile phones

Ha, i recall when i still lived at home going out fridays and saturdays. There were 'occasions' when for 'whatever' reason i would be late home, say 4 ish in the morning or later. I used to get a right rollicking at home, they would say just give us a ring and let us know you are going to be late...im like erm..oh yeah imagine saying to someone you had met...erm excuse me i just need to go ring my mum to let her know i will be late lol.

I remember being at University before the internet, trying to keep in touch with mates via handwritten letters, and even worse – with the girlfriend who was still in Derby. I used to have to write pages and pages otherwise she would get the hump that I wasn’t missing her enough (which I would find out a few days later when her reply arrived..)

How did I ever write that much? I get cramp in my hand if I have to write a birthday card these days!

28 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I remember being at University before the internet, trying to keep in touch with mates via handwritten letters, and even worse – with the girlfriend who was still in Derby. I used to have to write pages and pages otherwise she would get the hump that I wasn’t missing her enough (which I would find out a few days later when her reply arrived..)

How did I ever write that much? I get cramp in my hand if I have to write a birthday card these days!

Maybe your hand was better exercised back then.:thumbsup:

Archived