Why Is That?!!

Tony Le Mesmer

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Why is that?

Why is it that in the 1970's, Uttoxeter had a Magistrates Court, a Council Office, a Labour exchange/Jobcentre, a Police Station, a Fire Station manned with full time firefighters, Ambulance station, Train station with waiting room and toilets with trains running late enough to get back home from night games, Public Toilets, Park keepers, Police officers patrolling estates on foot, a Racecourse owned by the council, subsidised buses to local villages, Banks and Post offices, and now, in 2017, we can't afford any of this.

Its as if some section of society had stopped paying tax into the public purse. Why is that?

Well I guess people have. I am not going to claim I know all the facts but more and more young people are now educated until their early 20's. In addition older people can now expect to live 15 years or so post retirement, back then it was maybe 5 years.

I would have said there are also more people of working age claiming benefits, yet the figures state we have less people unemployed now than back then so maybe that's not true ???? 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Why is that?

Why is it that in the 1970's, Uttoxeter had a Magistrates Court, a Council Office, a Labour exchange/Jobcentre, a Police Station, a Fire Station manned with full time firefighters, Ambulance station, Train station with waiting room and toilets with trains running late enough to get back home from night games, Public Toilets, Park keepers, Police officers patrolling estates on foot, a Racecourse owned by the council, subsidised buses to local villages, Banks and Post offices, and now, in 2017, we can't afford any of this.

Its as if some section of society had stopped paying tax into the public purse. Why is that?

Ah yes. Power cuts, 30% inflation, strikes, unemployment, winter of discontent, UK making utterly crap cars that nobody wanted to buy......Happy days.

Sorry, don't meant to hijack a lighthearted thread but I didn't start it.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Why is that?

Could it be something to do with your exploits on the Popside/Ossie end and journeys to and from the games? :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Well I guess people have. I am not going to claim I know all the facts but more and more young people are now educated until their early 20's. In addition older people can now expect to live 15 years or so post retirement, back then it was maybe 5 years.

I would have said there are also more people of working age claiming benefits, yet the figures state we have less people unemployed now than back then so maybe that's not true ???? 

Valid points but I think UttoxRam was referring to the huge amount of tax avoidance that goes on at corporate level now...a much bigger issue, yet one that some people seem unable to draw the line between :(

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

Valid points but I think UttoxRam was referring to the huge amount of tax avoidance that goes on at corporate level now...a much bigger issue, yet one that some people seem unable to draw the line between :(

I am sure that happens too yes. Unfortunately most of the time either/or is sensationalised in the media with little factual information to back either up.

The problem appears to be that a loop hole can exist so these businesses are actually not doing anything illegal, i suppose however when you close one loop hole they find another. Tax avoidance doesnt just go on at corporate level it goes on across the spectrum, from people doing cash in hand, or putting 'x' receipt down as a cost against their tax returns.

I dare bet we all know someone who has a 'trick' up their sleeve to avoid tax.

41 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

all snowflakes are different, not only are they intricate in design they are unique, strange.

How do they know? No one inspects every one that falls.

Why is it we eat certain foods? How did we ever work out we could eats eggs? Drink cows milk? etc...on the face of it seems pretty disgusting but both are massive parts of our diet.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Why is it we eat certain foods? How did we ever work out we could eats eggs? Drink cows milk? etc...on the face of it seems pretty disgusting but both are massive parts of our diet.

That particular type of weirdo who burns himself with body chocolate, traps himself in a vacuum cleaner, gets his tongue stuck to the inside of the freezer ..... occasionally has his uses.

1 minute ago, LesterRam said:

don't be so stupid, the government employ official snowflake inspectors, obviously this is an international agreement.

Lol, I dare bet though in all seriousness somewhere hundres s if thousands of pounds if not millions has been spent researching it.

1 minute ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

That particular type of weirdo who burns himself with body chocolate, traps himself in a vacuum cleaner, gets his tongue stuck to the inside of the freezer ..... occasionally has his uses.

So what you are saying is our diet today is derived from our ancestors weird fetishes?

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

So what you are saying is our diet today is derived from our ancestors weird fetishes?

Kinda.

We all know the type ..... "Wow, look a stone has just fallen out of that chicken's ass. "

"Ah, Sid has just eaten one."

People who's girlfriends are boxing gloves and melons.

Prove to A + E staff that there is never a dull moment. The stars of the X-ray dept.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Lol, I dare bet though in all seriousness somewhere hundres s if thousands of pounds if not millions has been spent researching it.

no this is a serious subject, they are serious about this research and most were ex-stamp collectors, they email each other and compare notes and are very dedicated (and quick), next you will be telling me there is no official penguin stander-uppers, I bet you don't even believe in Santa you cretin.

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Ah yes. Power cuts, 30% inflation, strikes, unemployment, winter of discontent, UK making utterly crap cars that nobody wanted to buy......Happy days.

Sorry, don't meant to hijack a lighthearted thread but I didn't start it.

Happy days

No food banks

No robbing bankers / businessmen.......well not as many

No full doctors surgeries so you could always get an appointment

No computer trolls

12 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The first bloke to eat an oyster must have been fairly brave or bleedin' hungry.

Archived