Derbyshire B&B / walk

Bridgford Ram

The near Chesterfield options are the ones that are interesting me.  The wife and I met at a work do in a Frankie & Bennies 20 years ago so we could go into Chesterfield for one of the evenings.  Also as @Tony Le Mesmer says there are plenty of walks round and about.

My boy is also coming with us now!

Is there much to do in Chesterfield itself?  Day or night?  A ghost walk perhaps?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well, you'd better be careful with the ghost walk, you don't want to put the willies up her.

That's exactly what one of the leading ghost walk guides in York had been doing for years, sexually abusing women and young girls until he got caught and sentenced the other day.

As for ghost walks in Chez, I've never actually seen one to be fair and they aren't well advertised. I remember moving down here and going out into town for a few drinks midweek and the town centre was a ghost town. I couldn't believe it. There was nobody about.

In York and Doncaster on a weeknight it's like Magaluf just without the sun and beach. Pubs blurting out loud music, people everywhere. Get into Chesterfield and the main Maccy D's wasn't even open after 10!

Chesterfield town is small, always worth going into the church of the crooked spire but there is little else. There are so many places to visit around the area though and I'm lucky to have all these places on my doorstep.

18 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well, you'd better be careful with the ghost walk, you don't want to put the willies up her.

4 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

That's exactly what one of the leading ghost walk guides in York had been doing for years, sexually abusing women and young girls until he got caught and sentenced the other day.

As for ghost walks in Chez, I've never actually seen one to be fair and they aren't well advertised. I remember moving down here and going out into town for a few drinks midweek and the town centre was a ghost town. I couldn't believe it. There was nobody about.

In York and Doncaster on a weeknight it's like Magaluf just without the sun and beach. Pubs blurting out loud music, people everywhere. Get into Chesterfield and the main Maccy D's wasn't even open after 10!

Chesterfield town is small, always worth going into the church of the crooked spire but there is little else. There are so many places to visit around the area though and I'm lucky to have all these places on my doorstep.

Come on lads no such thing as ghosts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your help with this.  I have now booked a lovely looking B&B in Chesterfield for 2 nights - I couldn't get in some of the recommended places due to it being a bank holiday.

This location is great because it is close to the likes of Baslow, Castleton and Chatsworth etc.

Any recommended walks in or around these areas, perhaps 4-8 miles long?

47 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Thank you for all your help with this.  I have now booked a lovely looking B&B in Chesterfield for 2 nights - I couldn't get in some of the recommended places due to it being a bank holiday.

This location is great because it is close to the likes of Baslow, Castleton and Chatsworth etc.

Any recommended walks in or around these areas, perhaps 4-8 miles long?

If you go upto derwent dam you can walk round there, think all wayu round is a bout 12 miles not sure, but obviously you can do as much as you want.

I did Derwent dam once and took forever! Bloke in visitors centre when we got back said it was 11 miles I believe. I wasn't prepared for it but managed it!

Longshaw Estate near Hathersage is excellent. You can walk to Padley Gorge and there are longer walks too. Beautiful little river / brook to walk alongside and dip your feet in.

Castleton is about 5 miles further up the road with Peveril Castle and quaint shops, visitor centre and caverns.

Do lathkil dale. Make it circular by parking in alport and walking alonh the river towards Monyash.after 3 miles turn left up cave dale then 400m later  turn lefr up some steps and walk over the tops to youlgrave turn right then left in town past the public loos to Bradford dale then turn left at the stream to walk the mile back to alport. About 6 miles in total with only one uphill bit 

Archived