Derbyshire B&B / walk

Bridgford Ram

At the end of April it will be 20 years since I met my wife.  As a surprise I am wanting to take her into Derbyshire for a couple of days walking and wonder if anyone has a B&B they have stayed at that they would recommend?

If not I make book a night at Makeney Hall (we got married there) but we have done most the walks round that part of Derbyshire.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not a B&B but still nice, Darwin Forest holiday lodges high up over matlock. We have been a few times its close enough to not take long to get there but up there it really does seem like a totally different place. You have Chatsworth, Bakewell and Matlock all a short distance away.

I recommend the area around baslow. Chatsworth, walks by the river, Bakewell, eyam hall and plague village with plenty of walks, the longshaw estate walks are beautiful, if you feel brave there is the wonderfully quaint Hathersage open air pool then you've got Castleton and Peveril Castle all within about 10 miles.

The Wheatsheaf Hotel in Baslow do rooms.

On 22/01/2017 at 10:00, Paul71 said:

Its not a B&B but still nice, Darwin Forest holiday lodges high up over matlock. We have been a few times its close enough to not take long to get there but up there it really does seem like a totally different place. You have Chatsworth, Bakewell and Matlock all a short distance away.

There is a great set of holiday lodges at ashbourne too..On the a515 virtually opposite the dovedale turn...Has its own indoor pool and a nice restaurant too..The lodges are comfortable too,we have stayed there several times

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

There is a great set of holiday lodges at ashbourne too..On the a515 virtually opposite the dovedale turn...Has its own indoor pool and a nice restaurant too..The lodges are comfortable too,we have stayed there several times

They are the same group i think. sandybrook lodges? We have stayed there too, nice also.

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

If you fancy a trip into Derby..... the Pennine is in a good location..... heard you can rent rooms by the hour there..... :blink:

Has it been reopened must remember the next time I'm out in Derby.

23 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

You are right, I won't go to Makeney but am interested in knowing what makes you say that?  We were there in August and had thoughts.

Not heard good reports. Looks a bit tired, food not great. 

15 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Not heard good reports. Looks a bit tired, food not great. 

I would back that up, when we went in August our room wasn't ready, then they hadn't made up the kids bed, the beds were uncomfortable, the carpet was dirty and stained and the staff at breakfast were useless.

12 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I recommend the area around baslow. Chatsworth, walks by the river, Bakewell, eyam hall and plague village with plenty of walks, the longshaw estate walks are beautiful, if you feel brave there is the wonderfully quaint Hathersage open air pool then you've got Castleton and Peveril Castle all within about 10 miles.

The Wheatsheaf Hotel in Baslow do rooms.

I'll second all of these,Padley Gorge and all the walks around Foxhouse....great.

Archived