Medication phobia / amoxicillin ?

Tony Le Mesmer

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'll keep it brief. First of all has anyone taken amoxicillin penicillin and had side effects?

Secondly, anyone out there petrified of popping prescribed pills due not knowing if you'll suffer terrible side effects?

If so how do you manage?

Amoxicillin is an absolute bog standard antibiotic, if you're sensitive may result in an upset stomach, but that's about the worse side effect.

If your GP has prescribed it, take it.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'll keep it brief. First of all has anyone taken amoxicillin penicillin and had side effects?

Secondly, anyone out there petrified of popping prescribed pills due not knowing if you'll suffer terrible side effects?

If so how do you manage?

Wife has had it, no problems. My youngest is on Flucloxacillin at the minute, the eldest has been on that as well. Neither had any problems with it.

Thanks both. Went to the dentist today to get my tooth extracted and he said I have an abscess under it so need to pop amoxicillin for 5 days before he can take it out. Prolonged pain for me then.

Might be good news for one lucky Rams fan though as i'll suffer in silence at tomorrows game but probably won't feel up to going the Leicester game with it being a late one too and I've already bought my ticket. Bloody teeth!!

Keep checking and i'll probably be giving it away next week. Wouldn't want anything for it so long as you're not on more than 20k a year :p

Any more successful amoxicillin stories welcomed as moral support so I can pluck up the courage and pop one.

With me it's the panic of waiting for a side effect to appear, so much so that often I imagine them even though they aren't present.

I've got no idea how these people who take drugs can just buy some tablets off a random bloke in a nightclub and swallow them. They could have anything in them. No patient information leaflets with those! Tragic consequences too sometimes.

Just need to get rid of this pain, this abscess and finally the blummin' tooth!

So basically there is nowt wrong with the tooth, the pain is from a rancid, fetid abcess where your bacterial fellow travellers are having a party.

Anti-biotics will give you the *****, or mouth ulcers. 

Personally i never take any. The body  is pretty good at dealing with invaders.

As is TCP.

6 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

If so how do you manage?

I've been prescribed amoxicillin in the past, 7 day course, I didn't experience any side effects. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

So basically there is nowt wrong with the tooth, the pain is from a rancid, fetid abcess where your bacterial fellow travellers are having a party.

Anti-biotics will give you the *****, or mouth ulcers. 

Personally i never take any. The body  is pretty good at dealing with invaders.

As is TCP.

The tooth is cracked and a quarter of it is missing exposing the nerves but the dentist filled it temporarily as I needed some work on the other side of my mouth that was more pressing.

The painful tooth does have to come out but the pain now is coming from my bacterial visitors and the dentist says I need to get rid of the infection first before he can pull the tooth.

He could have pulled the tooth when I went in yesterday as planned but he said the anaesthetic wouldn't be as effective and I'm horrendous at the dentist as it is. It's taken me nearly a year to have my dental problems addressed due to my phobia and this little baby is the stubborn last thing I need doing.

I thought abscesses just got worse though and don't go away on their own without intervention?

23 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

The tooth is cracked and a quarter of it is missing exposing the nerves but the dentist filled it temporarily as I needed some work on the other side of my mouth that was more pressing.

The painful tooth does have to come out but the pain now is coming from my bacterial visitors and the dentist says I need to get rid of the infection first before he can pull the tooth.

He could have pulled the tooth when I went in yesterday as planned but he said the anaesthetic wouldn't be as effective and I'm horrendous at the dentist as it is. It's taken me nearly a year to have my dental problems addressed due to my phobia and this little baby is the stubborn last thing I need doing.

I thought abscesses just got worse though and don't go away on their own without intervention?

Mate I hate the dentist too (having the wrong tooth drilled with no anaesthetic caused me to nope right outta there about 10 years ago), I need to be in 24/7 agony before I make an appointment, so I can sympathise with how much it's taken you to get there.

I also cancel at least 3 appointments before I finally go :ph34r:

31 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Sympathise with the dentist phobia, I'm the same.

Abscesses can clear on their own or they can lead to life-threatening conditions if left untreated, so personally I'd take the medication.

Rinsing with warm salt water two to three times a day may help to relieve a toothache caused by an abscess, if the toothache is caused by a gum infection. Salt water works as an antiseptic to remove bacteria from the infected area.

More tips here:

https://www.verywell.com/pain-relief-for-an-abscessed-tooth-remedies-1059316

Antibiotics are not the only answer, my dentist recommended the same after I had a tempory filling after an old one had fallen out, I binned it.

10 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

If so how do you manage?

Problem is when you read the paper work every side effect someone has reported is shown, so it might be a 1 in 100,000 chance of happening but they have to tell you.

You should see the paperwork for my tablets I am surprised i havent grown another head, 3 arms, 3 legs enough body hair to look like chewbacca.

I think you just have to trust in what we are told.

10 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

If so how do you manage?

Always do what the doctor says. From my experience ignoring what he says/not going to see him can cause BIG problems.

Failing that -

1. Tie strong fishing line to tooth.

2. Tie other end to open door handle (door ideally heavy and made of solid wood).

3. Get large unsympathetic relative to slam door.

(Maybe not):ph34r:

46 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Always do what the doctor says. From my experience ignoring what he says/not going to see him can cause BIG problems.

Failing that -

1. Tie strong fishing line to tooth.

2. Tie other end to open door handle (door ideally heavy and made of solid wood).

3. Get large unsympathetic relative to slam door.

(Maybe not):ph34r:

I'd rather take the pills WHR if it's all the same. :lol:

Thanks so much you lot for chipping in. This forum is a great source of support about all things not just the Rams. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'd rather take the pills WHR if it's all the same. :lol:

Thanks so much you lot for chipping in. This forum is a great source of support about all things not just the Rams. :thumbsup:

I failed medical school.

I think it was me not washing the blood off my apron and my saws.

On 21/01/2017 at 11:29, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Thanks both. Went to the dentist today to get my tooth extracted and he said I have an abscess under it so need to pop amoxicillin for 5 days before he can take it out. Prolonged pain for me then.

Might be good news for one lucky Rams fan though as i'll suffer in silence at tomorrows game but probably won't feel up to going the Leicester game with it being a late one too and I've already bought my ticket. Bloody teeth!!

Keep checking and i'll probably be giving it away next week. Wouldn't want anything for it so long as you're not on more than 20k a year :p

Any more successful amoxicillin stories welcomed as moral support so I can pluck up the courage and pop one.

With me it's the panic of waiting for a side effect to appear, so much so that often I imagine them even though they aren't present.

I've got no idea how these people who take drugs can just buy some tablets off a random bloke in a nightclub and swallow them. They could have anything in them. No patient information leaflets with those! Tragic consequences too sometimes.

Just need to get rid of this pain, this abscess and finally the blummin' tooth!

I had exactly this in may, got prescribed amoxycilin and cocodamol never had pain like that abcess was. As soon as they pulled the tooth the pain went though. As someone else pointed out the only side effect you are likely to get from antibiotics is sickness feeling.

Good luck

Archived