Josh Gordon

BathRam72

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

So that would have ruled out the 2013/14 team that so very nearly got promoted - which is serious "challenging" is it not?

Buxton, Eustace, Bryson, Russell, Hendrick, Hughes, etc were far from proven quality when they were signed or broke into the team, yet they were the backbone of the team that played some lovely football and blew most teams out of the water with Barca-esque brilliance.

It's amazing how so many people are stuck in the past... the game, the players, the fitness, the goal has evolved over the last 3-4 years... time people woke up... we had a fab year that year on the back of watching dross football for a long time but it failed.... that's the point... there's a fine line between success and failure and we failed to make the grade.

tonsay we played Barca esq is unreal.... and simply not true. Attractive but by no means in any way equivalent to formations, players or anything Spanish related

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lower-league in my opinion is the ideal place to search for players and is good on so many levels for the game.

1. Provides the buying club with the potential of unearthing a gem - particularly as they are British they could be worth an absolute fortune if they come good.

2. Gives young home-grown players hope that they can progress in the game after their playing opportunities at the 'big' clubs are snuffed out before they've begun by big money foreign signings

3. Provides the lower league clubs with finances to keep the grass roots game going

Besides which if the last two years recruitment are anything to go by chucking big fees and big wages on 'proven' quality isn't necessarily the best way to achieve success.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

So that would have ruled out the 2013/14 team that so very nearly got promoted - which is serious "challenging" is it not?

Buxton, Eustace, Bryson, Russell, Hendrick, Hughes, etc were far from proven quality when they were signed or broke into the team, yet they were the backbone of the team that played some lovely football and blew most teams out of the water with Barca-esque brilliance.

Spot on...It's not about buying expensive players,it's about building a cohesive team.

I've had my fill of big money signings for a little bit now I reckon. Good move pressing the mystery button.

Besides, hardly likely to be playing this season. At 22 he'll go straight into the u23s. His job from there to work his way in (although I should mention that Charles Vernam has been banging them in for the bottom team, i.e. us, and that was only good enough to earn him a loan to Coventry...)

Archived