Andi Weimann - Joined Wolves on loan

DcFc Dyycheee

Never been given a real chance to establish himself. Some on here saying he doesn't fit into our 'system' - we'll there's so many players either already in the squad or potentially available at other clubs for transfer that you do start to wonder whether our system (whatever that is) is severely curtailing our options.

If McClaren is intent on trying to return to the way we played 2-3 years ago then the quality of player needs to be an upgrade on what we had then, otherwise we'll continue to fail - either only just as at Wembley or miserably the following season. Unfortunately, I can't see some of the 2013/14 squad ever coming close to that seasons' form - Bryson, Thorne, Forsyth etc.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

One decent performance against hull about sums up this move.

That's about it, interesting that Ince got dropped Russell went to the right wieman left and they both scored and we looked dangerous as a team, just saying! 

12 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Means one of two things, vydra is being moved to the wing and we're signing a striker (or the return of martin). Or we've got a deal in place to sign a winger 

Will be interesting 

9 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Why a loan and not a sale?

I think it is a loan with a view to a full transfer, but basically I suspect nobody wanted to buy him?

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Never been given a real chance to establish himself. Some on here saying he doesn't fit into our 'system' - we'll there's so many players either already in the squad or potentially available at other clubs for transfer that you do start to wonder whether our system (whatever that is) is severely curtailing our options.

If McClaren is intent on trying to return to the way we played 2-3 years ago then the quality of player needs to be an upgrade on what we had then, otherwise we'll continue to fail - either only just as at Wembley or miserably the following season. Unfortunately, I can't see some of the 2013/14 squad ever coming close to that seasons' form - Bryson, Thorne, Forsyth etc.

Not really a system thing for me more about balance

2 minutes ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Really do rate weimann, not had a proper run of games and hopefully comes back a better player. Or alternatively could mean an incoming.

He was worth the gamble with his experience and price but in 18 months he has shown basically very little to persuade us to carry on hoping that things would improve and we appear to need to clear some wages

Just now, Sparkle said:

He was worth the gamble with his experience and price but in 18 months he has shown basically very little to persuade us to carry on hoping that things would improve and we appear to need to clear some wages

He looked good in spells and poor in others. Hopefully bringing in another Maclaren loan.

28 minutes ago, David said:

One player that will come back to haunt us. 14 starts without a real run in the side, you will never see the best out of any player like that.

Feel for the guy, should have been given a real chance. Very good player.

Agree. Clement gave him a good run in pre season and he looked tremendous. Then didn't he get injured and miss the start of the season?

30 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

So does this mean Russell is staying as we'll only have razza on the left who's currently fit unless we're turning vydra into a winger :( 

I hate the term "Winger" in our 4-3-3 as it is incorrect.

Is Ince a winger?

No.... but you will probably call him one.

As for Vydra, the wider forward positions suit him better than the Number 9 role.

So its hardly turning him into something is it?

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Some on here saying he doesn't fit into our 'system' - we'll there's so many players either already in the squad or potentially available at other clubs for transfer that you do start to wonder whether our system (whatever that is) is severely curtailing our options.

Almost all of the players that 'don't fit the system' are pacy forwards, who can't play up front on their own and can't play out wide.  Those kind of players are difficult to fit into any modern system - teams very rarely play with 2 up front nowadays, as you just get overrun in midfield.  The rest of them are players that just aren't good enough technically (Shackell and Johnson mainly) - and you can't expect to play good football with players with poor technique.  So it's not so much curtailing our options, as demanding to only sign players that are good enough to do what's expected of them.

As for Weimann, the Villa fans openly said he's never played well out wide for them, he's only ever played well when played up front as part of a 2.  We were never going to play him in that position, so why the hell did we even sign him?

Perhaps it is nothing - but I have noticed on a number of occasions in that player questions things in the match programme - they always ask who the best and worst trainers are at the club - quite often Weimann gets picked as one of the worst trainers. Again , maybe it is nothing, but if the players are noticing it, I'm sure McClaren will have been too.

2 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Making way for Sako with Russell wanting to stay?

Big possibility.

If Russell were to leave aswell... I think we HAVE to sign another winger now. I would be happy with Russell & Camara for the rest of the season. But in the summer we have to improve this squad.

Out on loan?

Ok maybe with a view to giving him exposure and get his mojo back, then make a decision in the summer on whether to keep him based on his performances.

Or at the moment with lack of play time his value is not great. If he performs at Wolves, his price will go up.

Great man management either way I say.

41 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Bringing Vydra on vs Leeds and putting him out wide pretty much confirmed McClaren doesn't like Weimann for whatever reason.

Disappointed he's never been given a real chance, especially with how badly Russell has been playing this season.

Hopefully a new winger is on the way in. 

He has no value right now. Half a season of good performances and Hello  3 million quid. 

Archived