DIY Kitchens

TomBustler1884

Has anybody ever installed an IKEA kitchen before?

Close to ordering a replacement kitchen for £3000 from IKEA, but the installation cost is almost £2000!!!

How easy is it to install one of their kitchens yourself? I know I would need someone round for appliances, but are the cabinets do-able?

Or even better, any kitchen fitters on here?!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it depends on how handy you are and how many tools you have

It’s one of them jobs that I didn’t fancy taking on myself, because if you mess it up – you have to look at it every day and feel like a chump!

Putting the cabinets together is pretty straightforward – it’s the appliances, the sink/plumbing and the worktops that are tricky

25 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Depends on how straight forward the install is tbh, how many worktop joints etc?

I think (if you mean how many times does the worktop have to be joined together), just once.

Galley-style kitchen, no wall units, no corner units, only base units and 2 40cm high cabinets - new sink, half-sized dishwasher, electric oven, gas hob, recirculation extractor hood.Oven, hob, sink all going in existing locations, washing machine shifting along by about 2 or 3 feet. 

5 hours ago, The 1884 Group said:

I think (if you mean how many times does the worktop have to be joined together), just once.

Galley-style kitchen, no wall units, no corner units, only base units and 2 40cm high cabinets - new sink, half-sized dishwasher, electric oven, gas hob, recirculation extractor hood.Oven, hob, sink all going in existing locations, washing machine shifting along by about 2 or 3 feet. 

Galley style piece of piss ,take your time measure twice  cut once .Lay it out to get a feel of how square your walls are .Most built in hobs come with a template ,be aware of clearances under things like hobs that are deeper than your work top .Make sure your extractor hood has good clearance from your hob,Try and get work top length that won't require a joint if possible and if tiling fit work top and tile down to it so any gaps to wall are hidden .Level units along entire length and check end to end not just adjacent units ,sometimes it;s better for it to look square than be square if you see what I mean .Check all plumbing etc before final fixing .Sure I must have missed something good luck.

8 hours ago, The 1884 Group said:

Has anybody ever installed an IKEA kitchen before?

Close to ordering a replacement kitchen for £3000 from IKEA, but the installation cost is almost £2000!!!

How easy is it to install one of their kitchens yourself? I know I would need someone round for appliances, but are the cabinets do-able?

Or even better, any kitchen fitters on here?!

Pm mozza

12 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Get a reputable kitchen fitter...ask neighbours. I got a kitchen fitted that way much much cheaper than the kitchen sellers inhouse.

Agree. Companies like IKEA and Wickes (bast***s) make as much on the installation as they do on selling the units.

1 hour ago, froggg said:

Pm mozza

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

If the kitchens in swad he might have a chance ?

Might stretch it to Woodville ..

Did a kitchen in Burton running up to xmas eve , 'bout killed me off , if i'm honest ..

Archived