Birmingham after Johnny Russell

David

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I have no confidence in the club to replace Johnny Russell with a player of similar quality, let alone higher quality. Camara's and Vydra's performances on Friday were all I needed to see to confirm my suspicions - Russell is the second best winger at this club and it's not a small gap between him and the third best.

You don't get rid of the first teamers to improve the quality of the team. You get rid of the players who can't get on the bench and fail to impress as substitutes first. Then you get better than Russell and let him battle it out with the other guy for the starting place. Not complicated.

:thumbsup:u should be working as our scout.

The grass is always greener isn't it. If the last three years have told us anything it's exactly that. I hope those here who want him gone will stick to their guns when he does go and we don't replace him properly.

People have been moaning that we lack a toughness, that mental edge - he is one of the few players in our squad who has it. His head never drops.

I don't feel we have replaced anyone particularly well since McClaren first arrived and I see nothing to suggest this is going to start now.

6 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

The grass is always greener isn't it. If the last three years have told us anything it's exactly that. I hope those here who want him gone will stick to their guns when he does go and we don't replace him properly.

People have been moaning that we lack a toughness, that mental edge - he is one of the few players in our squad who has it. His head never drops.

I don't feel we have replaced anyone particularly well since McClaren first arrived and I see nothing to suggest this is going to start now.

Since Russell has been with us we've brought in Weimann (premier league semi-regular), Camara (french 1st division ish), Blackman (top scorer in the league?) and Anya (premier league plus promoted regular)...

None of them have managed to displace him

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Since Russell has been with us we've brought in Weimann (premier league semi-regular), Camara (french 1st division ish), Blackman (top scorer in the league?) and Anya (premier league plus promoted regular)...

Almost as if he's a cracking player at this level and our choice of replacements ain't all that.

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

Almost as if he's a cracking player at this level and our choice of replacements ain't all that.

You know what... It is a little like that isn't it?

I will never understand the attitude of "let's replace our 2nd choice" when we have 3/4 players behind him in the pecking order... By all means bring someone better in... And then Russell can be 3rd choice... Pushing for 2nd still...

And I don't understand the attitude that says "well Russell expects first team football"... What like Blackman, Weimann, Anya and Camara don't? All 4 of them would have been told they'd be first choice I would imagine...

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

None of them seem to be saleable either. Can't see the sense in selling JR unless he fancies a change?

1 hour ago, archied said:

Do not sell Johnny Russell !!!!!!!    . If we buy what on paper is an upgrade on him then he is the man I want not only as cover but also pushing said upgrade for the first team place ,,, I have seen countless times how we desperately need Chris Martin as he brings so much more than goals to the team when he is not in form ,,, well that applies in spades to Johnny Russell ,, what people are forgetting is that Johnny has shown his best form when we have a marauding wing back working in tandem with him ,overlapping and creating space and Johnny working his backside off to get back and double up on opposition forwards ,,, there's a reason Johnny is generating interest from teams like Brighton and Birmingham when others like wiemen are getting non ,,,, 

Totally this please tell the club

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is all dependant on a replacement. If Russell goes, I'll be disappointed, but if we goes and is replaced by Sako, I won't be too bothered. 

Even with this possibility it doesn't mean he would play any good for us because many big names haven't 

Perhaps the problem we now find ourselves in is 'saleable assets'. Whilst l am no big JR fan he probably isn't on huge wages and therefore easier to make a deal work. I suspect the 4 others who currently are competing for his position are on vastly larger sums of money, and are going to be difficult to sell on (based on recent performances). Maybe moving him on is a decision based on simple economics. If that is the case, and it is a big if, that would be a sorry inditement of our purchasing policy over the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

I have no confidence in the club to replace Johnny Russell with a player of similar quality, let alone higher quality. Camara's and Vydra's performances on Friday were all I needed to see to confirm my suspicions - Russell is the second best winger at this club and it's not a small gap between him and the third best.

You don't get rid of the first teamers to improve the quality of the team. You get rid of the players who can't get on the bench and fail to impress as substitutes first. Then you get better than Russell and let him battle it out with the other guy for the starting place. Not complicated.

Absolutely this 

26 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Because they are not good enough

Strange that against Leeds that he took Camara off and he could have bought on Russell/Weimann but instead bought on Vydra there? 

Maybe McClaren has seen enough of Russell this season (who has been so so poor) that he tried Camara there at WBA and then Leeds. But would now have come to the conclusion that Camara is just nowhere near good enough, obviously he doesn't like Weimann (which none if the previous 4 managers have) that hes tried Vydra and now has realised that we are desperate for a quality left winger. 

I agree with another poster. Id be more bothered about getting Camara and Weimann out before Russell. But you can't sell players that nobody want to buy. 

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Perhaps Johnny Wants to go? You can get/feel stale after a period of consistently falling short of your ambitions.

Not many want to go to Birmingham!

most fans forums in the championship believe Russell to be one of our best players and do you know what he is, that is why other teams want. Him

Johnny is the only left winger to be given a consistent run under McClaren and he was poor...no point judging Weimann Camara Anya or Blackman as none of them have had that run yet under Mc. Maybe Anya has impressed Mc enough to have that LW slot when he is fit and our LB position is sorted. Personally id rather Anya start ahead of Johnny and id prefer Weimann Camara and Blackman to be given a fair crack at LW under Mc than Johnny having another chance. People writing Camara off because of the Leeds game which only Ince and Carson turned up to really....does that mean we should cancel De Sart's loan because he was poor first half?

For me Weimann can match Johnnys work rate, Anya can match him in the defensive side of the game and both of them run beyond their full backs and will run at their full backs to beat them, I cant remember the last time Johnny attacked his full back and beat him

Archived