Slipped discs

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah rest it and don't push it, walk small distances and often.

I have just finished another round of physio and this is after slipping my disc twenty years ago, once its gone you have a permanent weakness in that area.

I have had other underlying problems related to the back and pressure on a sciatic nerve, I lost sensation in my foot (drop foot) and have been limping heavily for 13/14 weeks, I stopped moving completely and just sat in the middle of a main road when it hit.

My advice, keep moving and don't stop like I did, I have paid heavily for lack of movement.

Good luck, I feel for you.

44 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Cheers Lester,ill keep on the move but had a right old struggle today trying to walk the mutt,bent over every 20 ft

Oh well,good old co codamol,my current best friend....

You need naproxen 500mg to take the inflammatory down, its fairly heavy duty but recovery is shorter.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Suffering from a slipped disc at the moment and five weeks in,I'm not seeing much of an improvement.

I've started going to the chiropractor but anyone got any top tips for dealing with it as I'm still walking like a chimp and its getting me down now!

I walk like a chimp too and I haven't even got a slipped disc so don't worry about it man. :p

I have however had a bad back for a few years, always the same spot. It's pretty rough going so I feel for you with that.

Co-codamol is good. I think you can get one called 'max' which is stronger than the usual one and still over the counter. Ibuprofen too reduces inflammation and you can take them together.

I get the co codamol max in soluble form and drink it and for some reason it seems to elicit a sort of placebo effect on me as it feels like you're having a medicinal drink and it's doing you good rather than just whacking a couple of pills down your gullet. Try it.

Hope you get some relief. Back pain isn't much fun.

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Yeah,on that as well......helps me sleep anyway.

Be careful of co-codamol and long term use, I have theory of this and dementia, when my mother contracted dementia I researched the subject matter and there is a growing belief in a link, its also very addictive, I told you I was OCD :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Be careful of co-codamol and long term use, I have theory of this and dementia, when my mother contracted dementia I researched the subject matter and there is a growing belief in a link, its also very addictive, I told you I was OCD :thumbsup:

I'll definitely bear that in mind.....I'm a very non addictive person but I'll be off this as soon as possible...I've got a tens machine as well which I can wear on my belt at work to avoid using pain killers...Quite effective too I find.

20 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I walk like a chimp too and I haven't even got a slipped disc so don't worry about it man. :p

I have however had a bad back for a few years, always the same spot. It's pretty rough going so I feel for you with that.

Co-codamol is good. I think you can get one called 'max' which is stronger than the usual one and still over the counter. Ibuprofen too reduces inflammation and you can take them together.

I get the co codamol max in soluble form and drink it and for some reason it seems to elicit a sort of placebo effect on me as it feels like you're having a medicinal drink and it's doing you good rather than just whacking a couple of pills down your gullet. Try it.

Hope you get some relief. Back pain isn't much fun.

Cheers for that,

Yeah it's a crap feeling,esp as I have a outdoor job and I hate feeling restricted.

Not heard of the soluble co codamol before.

16 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

My mate swears yoga helps him a lot, slipped his about five years ago.

Yes, my physio mentioned that yoda is very good for you, apparently its about your inner core and let's be honest he is 900 years old and still moves around like a Jedi should, may the force be with you :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm still struggling with my back,almost 10 weeks in now..

Got an MRI scan next week to see what's causing the problems but looking online,it's steroid injections into the area if the discs is often the next step before surgery is attempted.

Anyone had the injections?

Just wondered how effective they are??

I have had injections in my knee that worked a treat, I would feel more apprehensive having it in my back though, have you tried physio before? My physio massages my back from left to right across my spine that works a treat, feels wrong but is effective.

3 hours ago, LesterRam said:

I have had injections in my knee that worked a treat, I would feel more apprehensive having it in my back though, have you tried physio before? My physio massages my back from left to right across my spine that works a treat, feels wrong but is effective.

Yes,had quite a bit of physio and seen the chiropractor too

Nothing working at the moment...

Archived