Scams

sage

23 hours ago, Tombo said:

Conversely, I love the extremely obvious fakes that land in your spam box. I got a spam email just this morning from "Glenda" which has no images and no text other than:

"Young and beautiful blond girl is looking for a man. Ready to serious relationship, want kids. Pro in sex and ready to everything, i like anal sex.

My profile is here" (this line is the clickable link)

What do you reckon guys? I think this Glenda might be the one. For years I've been looking for a girl who is ready to everything and especially one who has trained as a pro in sex, now I've found her.

Avant garde opening line for a CV I reckon.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just received an unsolicited phone call purporting to be from Virgin Media saying that my wireless router has been hacked. The caller wanted to 'run some tests' which would have required me to connect to the internet... but I didn't let them get that far because their phone number was withheld.

I've double-checked with Virgin Media and they say that they would never cold-call a customer about a suspected hack. Also, the 'lady' on the call had an extremely broad Indian accent when Virgin Media's support centre is in Newcastle, and everyone I've ever spoke to from there in the past had a Geordie accent.

Anyway, just to be on the safe side, I'm changing all my passwords (including the router, obviously).

20 minutes ago, eddie said:

I have just received an unsolicited phone call purporting to be from Virgin Media saying that my wireless router has been hacked. The caller wanted to 'run some tests' which would have required me to connect to the internet... but I didn't let them get that far because their phone number was withheld.

I've double-checked with Virgin Media and they say that they would never cold-call a customer about a suspected hack. Also, the 'lady' on the call had an extremely broad Indian accent when Virgin Media's support centre is in Newcastle, and everyone I've ever spoke to from there in the past had a Geordie accent.

Anyway, just to be on the safe side, I'm changing all my passwords (including the router, obviously).

You sure about that?. Just that whenever I get a sales call from Virgin, it's always from India. Not that I answer their calls any more......When I ring them, it tends to be to a UK centre - as far as I can tell.

Of course that doesn't mean that yours wasn't fake.

15 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I love the IT based ones. As it's my job as a Software Support Technician (read techie) I find it great fun when these numpties phone an IT business.

Can you click the start button please?

Where would that be?

[some time later]

Is now the right time to tell you I use a Mac?

*click*

I love messing these guys around. I find it funny to out tech them and to hear them getting all frustrated and struggle with questions that are not on their script.

29 minutes ago, eddie said:

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

You sure about that?. Just that whenever I get a sales call from Virgin, it's always from India. Not that I answer their calls any more......When I ring them, it tends to be to a UK centre - as far as I can tell.

When I was with Virgin last year I only ever spoke "Dave" with an Indian accent when I called.

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

When I was with Virgin last year I only ever spoke "Dave" with an Indian accent when I called.

Ha Ha, I very nearly typed "Dave from Delhi" on my post, exactly for that reason. Always Dave. He's a busy fellow.

50 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

No ISP will ever ring you directly to offer support.

15 minutes ago, eddie said:

No ISP will ever ring you directly to offer support.

Sorry I was referring to your comment that Virgin call centres were in the UK. Since I posted I've checked & apparently their centres are in UK, India and Philipines.

My Mum got a call last year from a man who said he was calling from the Internet, not an internet provider but THE Internet!!!  Fortunately she was busy at the time and arranged a call back, she tld me about it before he called back, and I told her to stop being so stupid and to ignore the call.  

I frequently get the "we understand you were involved in a car accident that wasn't your fault" cold calls.

I play along and say "yes, yes I was - that's amazing that you want to help me, thank you so much! " etc

Then when they get on to the "did you suffer any permanent or long-lasting injury?" bit, I tell them that my head was completely severed.

Takes them a while before the penny drops

I love the calls about replacing your mobile phone and contract from a bloke called Steve with an Indian accent. I refuse to carry on with the conversation until he admits that Steve is not his real name and he tells me what his real name is. As soon as he tells me, I tell him that he lost my trust by lying about his name and that I won't be able to do business with him.

43 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

My Mum got a call last year from a man who said he was calling from the Internet, not an internet provider but THE Internet!!!  Fortunately she was busy at the time and arranged a call back, she tld me about it before he called back, and I told her to stop being so stupid and to ignore the call.  

That was brave of you - what time's hospital visiting?

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Have you thought it could have been the Memsahib checking in on you?

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Have you thought it could have been the Memsahib checking in on you?

Unlikely.

The Indian accent wasn't strong enough.

On 14/01/2017 at 12:58, Tombo said:

Conversely, I love the extremely obvious fakes that land in your spam box. I got a spam email just this morning from "Glenda" which has no images and no text other than:

"Young and beautiful blond girl is looking for a man. Ready to serious relationship, want kids. Pro in sex and ready to everything, i like anal sex.

My profile is here" (this line is the clickable link)

What do you reckon guys? I think this Glenda might be the one. For years I've been looking for a girl who is ready to everything and especially one who has trained as a pro in sex, now I've found her.

Looks like they picked your email up from some older ladies dating site or something? I don't know any young Glenda's me.

16 hours ago, Boycie said:

Looks like they picked your email up from some older ladies dating site or something? I don't know any young Glenda's me.

Can't you read? What part of "Young and beautiful blond girl" don't you get? 

I have a theory that I get them because my email address is quite generic so I probably make the list a lot for blanket spam distribution.

Archived