De Sart - Signed on loan

David

7 hours ago, Simsy said:

Fair enough. I just can't understand why he hasn't had more game time? I know I've only seen him for 96mins but what a player.

In fact I went up to the stands a bit early to soak in some atmosphere and the players were doing shooting practice. He was rifling all his shots top corner!

Glad to hear he's gave such a good account of himself so far.

I mentioned on another thread why he isn't in our first team and it's not because he hasn't the capability to play in the Prem. It's simply because the role of the DM has been the most pivotal to our set up for 3 years now so we have the biggest amount of talented efficient players in that position as well as CB, where he can also play.

He's up against Clayton who was our player of the season last campaign, De Roon who was Atalanta's player of the year and cost us around 12mil, Forshaw who has been our best player in the Prem this year and of course Leadbitter the club captain though the last has been injured for some of this season.

CB wise, which is his second position, even Ayala who may well have been close to the best CB in the championship last year is finding it hard to get into the side at present due to Chambers arriving from Arsenal, Ben Gibson's stellar form and Espinosa coming too.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ipad1977 said:

He's up against Clayton who was our player of the season last campaign, De Roon who was Atalanta's player of the year and cost us around 12mil, Forshaw who has been our best player in the Prem this year and of course Leadbitter the club captain though the last has been injured for some of this season.

CB wise, which is his second position, even Ayala who may well have been close to the best CB in the championship last year is finding it hard to get into the side at present due to Chambers arriving from Arsenal, Ben Gibson's stellar form and Espinosa coming too.

Forgetting his potential and your original intentions for signing him for a moment, there is a question that I want to ask - will he ever actually play for you? Because the answer to that isn't certain.

Kevin De Bruyne was loaned out everywhere when he was at Chelsea, and even though it was obvious he was the real deal, there was never a space in the squad for him.

Not saying this means we're going to try and sign him - but by the same token, it's not like he's going to head back to Boro at the end of the season and walk straight into your side in August. By your own admission, he's actually quite a long way off being in the side and that's because you're oversubscribed in that position.

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

Forgetting his potential and your original intentions for signing him for a moment, there is a question that I want to ask - will he ever actually play for you? Because the answer to that isn't certain.

Kevin De Bruyne was loaned out everywhere when he was at Chelsea, and even though it was obvious he was the real deal, there was never a space in the squad for him.

Not saying this means we're going to try and sign him - but by the same token, it's not like he's going to head back to Boro at the end of the season and walk straight into your side in August. By your own admission, he's actually quite a long way off being in the side and that's because you're oversubscribed in that position.

Nothing is certain about his future with us; it can depend on how our other squad players carry on performing, whether they get injuries, our incomings and outgoings and of course Julien's own levels of performance and health.

It's probably a given that Leadbitter won't keep up his current level due to age for a great length of time either.

All I can say is that De Sart was bought with the intention of a long term future.

On 1/8/2017 at 06:01, Simsy said:

Fair enough. I just can't understand why he hasn't had more game time? I know I've only seen him for 96mins but what a player.

In fact I went up to the stands a bit early to soak in some atmosphere and the players were doing shooting practice. He was rifling all his shots top corner!

I was going to comment on this too. He is one hell of a striker of a ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he has hardest shot at the club. Everyone was on target and the keeper never moved if it was either side of him. I can see him taking those free kicks that are too close to the area to get the ball over the wall and back down again.  . 

On Sun Jan 08 2017 at 19:38, ipad1977 said:

Nothing is certain about his future with us; it can depend on how our other squad players carry on performing, whether they get injuries, our incomings and outgoings and of course Julien's own levels of performance and health.

It's probably a given that Leadbitter won't keep up his current level due to age for a great length of time either.

All I can say is that De Sart was bought with the intention of a long term future.

It's also worth pointing out that one of the reasons we have so many DMs is that it's harder to maintain our semblance of the brick wall strategy in the Prem as we're now coming up against the likes of Aguero, Costa and their ilk regularly supplied by better crossers and dribblers than we had to deal with in the champo.

As such we have altered our formation slightly so that we're often playing with 3 DMs sat in front of the back 4 with the point DM in the centre being the one to most often break away on a counter when it presents itself (usually Forshaw, sometimes De Roon) This is the reason we currently have the 4th best defence in the top flight, though obviously with such an ultra-defensive setup we lack on the goals scored front. Keeping our goal difference in single minus figures wouldn't be a bad achievement for a newly promoted side at least.

AK no doubt sees this as necessary as we can't yet attract the attacking speed merchants needed to score a huge amount, keeping us in the top flight to stabilise the clubs attractiveness to potential targets and give us the bigger sums of cash needed to pay for them is of the utmost importance. In terms of creators it's possible Traore may well be the most rapid dribbler in the league, but needs work on his final ball to be more consistent. Ramirez whilst of the standard needed can be double marked by opposing defenders. Fischer may well have the attributes needed in another 12 months, but is still developing. Downing is 32 so whilst he can hit a lovely cross has lost some of his breaking pace and isn't a longterm solution. 

As such De Sart being 5th choice DM doesn't mean he's far off the starting lineup if as suspected Leadbitter leaves within the next 12 to 18 months with advancing age. Squad rotation with increased cup runs and the hectic New Year fixtures and and any DM injuries would probably mean he's then in the starting lineup, not just on the bench.

3 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

It's also worth pointing out that one of the reasons we have so many DMs is that it's harder to maintain our semblance of the brick wall strategy in the Prem as we're now coming up against the likes of Aguero, Costa and their ilk regularly supplied by better crossers and dribblers than we had to deal with in the champo.

As such we have altered our formation slightly so that we're often playing with 3 DMs sat in front of the back 4 with the point DM in the centre being the one to most often break away on a counter when it presents itself (usually Forshaw, sometimes De Roon) This is the reason we currently have the 4th best defence in the top flight, though obviously with such an ultra-defensive setup we lack on the goals scored front. Keeping our goal difference in single minus figures wouldn't be a bad achievement for a newly promoted side at least.

AK no doubt sees this as necessary as we can't yet attract the attacking speed merchants needed to score a huge amount, keeping us in the top flight to stabilise the clubs attractiveness to potential targets and give us the bigger sums of cash needed to pay for them is of the utmost importance. In terms of creators it's possible Traore may well be the most rapid dribbler in the league, but needs work on his final ball to be more consistent. Ramirez whilst of the standard needed can be double marked by opposing defenders. Fischer may well have the attributes needed in another 12 months, but is still developing. Downing is 32 so whilst he can hit a lovely cross has lost some of his breaking pace and isn't a longterm solution. 

As such De Sart being 5th choice DM doesn't mean he's far off the starting lineup if as suspected Leadbitter leaves within the next 12 to 18 months with advancing age. Squad rotation with increased cup runs and the hectic New Year fixtures and and any DM injuries would probably mean he's then in the starting lineup, not just on the bench.

I understand all of that and maybe the need for it but as a supporter I want to be entertained when I go to a football match so I hope at some point your supporters see a more entertaining approach 

24 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I understand all of that and maybe the need for it but as a supporter I want to be entertained when I go to a football match so I hope at some point your supporters see a more entertaining approach 

Blackpool fans were entertained once. 

9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Really like this lad. Great attitude and seems as cultured off the pitch as he is on it. Makes some interesting comments about the Nugent signing too :)

Agreed. Very impressive. Think it'll be a big help off the pitch too knowing Nugent. Real feel good factor about this kid. 

20 hours ago, Sparkle said:

There's some of our fans that feel the same. Most however have realised a newly promoted side faces a battle to stay in the Prem and want this for the stability and progression of the club.

As such last season was about getting up, this season is overwhelmingly about survival. Should we finish 17th or higher (and on a personal note finish above the deckchairs) the vast majority of supporters will be happy with AK's work.

Next season however IF we stay up most fans would want us to push on. With more money in the bank and more publicity to attract players Karanka's aim should be to climb the league and we will only be able to do that by scoring more goals and entertaining in the process. That would become a huge part of what he would be judged on for the 17/18 campaign.

33 minutes ago, ipad1977 said:

There's some of our fans that feel the same. Most however have realised a newly promoted side faces a battle to stay in the Prem and want this for the stability and progression of the club.

As such last season was about getting up, this season is overwhelmingly about survival. Should we finish 17th or higher (and on a personal note finish above the deckchairs) the vast majority of supporters will be happy with AK's work.

Next season however IF we stay up most fans would want us to push on. With more money in the bank and more publicity to attract players Karanka's aim should be to climb the league and we will only be able to do that by scoring more goals and entertaining in the process. That would become a huge part of what he would be judged on for the 17/18 campaign.

Quite right 

Archived