George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

Watching this video earlier on made me reminisce about our George:wub::

It's got me so excited to see him back, no matter how well Bradley Johnson is playing. At the moment we lack someone who comes deep and starts the passing moves, and this was especially apparent yesterday. Once he comes back we'll have that outlet for the back four and Carson to find, as opposed to just hoofing it up to Vydra/Bent. 

Thinking about Thorne got me interested in digging this thread out, and what a thread it was! I know he's probably not been the same since he did his ACL with us, but I just hope the 1000+ pages remind us of how good a player he can be and gets everyone that little bit more excited for his return (even if it's only a couple of substitute appearances at the end of the season).

COYR!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm this seems very similar to the post I made in the transfer thread ;) Just joking, but that video is great to illustrate what he brings to the team. Johnson has been very good in the cdm role but he doesn't have the range of passing that Thorne has to make us tick.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Hmmm this seems very similar to the post I made in the transfer thread ;) Just joking, but that video is great to illustrate what he brings to the team. Johnson has been very good in the cdm role but he doesn't have the range of passing that Thorne has to make us tick.

Indeed, you posting that video is what inspired me to make this post, forgive me for not giving you due credit!:pIf Thorne somehow managed to get his mobility to what it was (as you also suggested in the transfer thread) then we would, in my opinion, have the best player in the league on our hands. I have never seen anyone play as well as he did in that play off final (although from the above video, the Doncaster game seems to run it close).

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think it also has a somewhat significant knock effect to the rest of the midfield and how we play. With Johnson as CDM, it requires both of the other two midfielders to come deeper to help out getting the play going rather than picking up advanced positions and looking for spaces to exploit.

Before his broken leg thorne was slow, sluggish and had the turning axes of a cement truck. You lot are kidding yourselves if you reckon you're going to see thorne of 13/14. Best not to have your hopes too high otherwise you will be disappointed. 

What allowed McClaren to play the way we did in 2013/14 was that the team was perfectly balanced and had good passers of the ball in all areas on the pitch. Keogh and Bucko in defence. Hughes and Thorne in midfield. Dawkins(when he played) and Martin up front. That combined with the energy of the likes of Hendrick,Bryson,Russell and Ward supporting the technical players was great to watch. I used to go to matches genuinely expecting to batter teams by at least 3 or 4 and I wasn't disappointed as teams couldn't live with us at times. Shame we couldn't go all the way. 

2 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Before his broken leg thorne was slow, sluggish and had the turning axes of a cement truck. You lot are kidding yourselves if you reckon you're going to see thorne of 13/14. Best not to have your hopes too high otherwise you will be disappointed. 

Harsh regards the turning circle description in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Shows how good he was because the stats at 3:48 show that he must have been doing something right Bahrain Ram :p

8 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

And he was still ******* quality!

2 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I think you're more than a little of base here. Sure at times he looked slow and sluggish last year but he also carried the midfield for huge stretches of the season. He was the main instigator for a hell of a lot of our forward play whilst being a shield for the back 4, we were noticeably a poorer side when he didn't play and I suspect (and even McClaren has said as much) that if wasn't for his leg break we would have probably been in the prem this season.

Now there's a player who wouldn't fail to notice Vydra trying to make runs.

I'm with the skeptics though, I'm not sure he's coming back. 

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Now there's a player who wouldn't fail to notice Vydra trying to make runs.

I'm with the skeptics though, I'm not sure he's coming back. 

He wouldn't fail to notice them but he would often opt to not pick them out. Vydra's runs are often ill thought out and the wrong choice for what is happening with the play. It's why he is behind Bent in the pecking order and will drop down further if Martin returns.

4 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Yes, reluctantly I tend to agree with this, but I would be ecstatic if GT could somehow get an injury free run for a couple of seasons and get back to even 80% of the player he was. 

5 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Watching this video earlier on made me reminisce about our George:wub::

It's got me so excited to see him back, no matter how well Bradley Johnson is playing. At the moment we lack someone who comes deep and starts the passing moves, and this was especially apparent yesterday. Once he comes back we'll have that outlet for the back four and Carson to find, as opposed to just hoofing it up to Vydra/Bent. 

Thinking about Thorne got me interested in digging this thread out, and what a thread it was! I know he's probably not been the same since he did his ACL with us, but I just hope the 1000+ pages remind us of how good a player he can be and gets everyone that little bit more excited for his return (even if it's only a couple of substitute appearances at the end of the season).

COYR!

I really like Brad but we are fecking deluded if we think he is as good as this .

So injury prone, can't even take a leg breaking tackle like a man! He's been out for months, pathetic really. 

Can't believe that liability came back from two ACL injuries to play a full season for us last year and still got started in almost every single match by two managers while the rest of the team fell apart around him!

He's a joke and I hope he never plays for Derby again.

Archived