Bucket list.

Coneheadjohn

6 minutes ago, jono said:

I didn't do a like @coneheadjohn because how can you "like" when someone us up against it as you and your family are ?   ... I just hope you all find some comfort and good luck in the coming days and if DCFC help then that can only be a good thing. 

Thoughts, good wishes and good luck 

Thanks mate,we appreciate all the kind words.Trying to do a few things with him that will make him smile.

I'll put on here what's happening.....and you can like it mate,I understand.?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sorry for your family John. It must be incredibly difficult to face such a struggle when your son is still so young.

I've long thought that there were some advantages in knowing you had a "due date" - especially when you've lived to a good age - but that was entirely theoretical for me until approx. 2 years ago when I learned the brain damage I so miraculously avoided in 2007 (I had a pulmonary embolism which killed me on 31/10/2007 for 45 minutes - and then twice more on the next two days - leaving me in a coma for almost a month) was beginning to occur, meaning I'll likely have all the symptoms of Alzheimer's within 5 or so years...and which I will not permit to happen.)

It ensures I do the things I've been meaning to do. It also permits me to give my acknowledgements, etc to family and friends.

Obviously, it's very different for a 50yo man who should've died of his first illness at 41 viz a young 18yo man but please try to hold that thought.

It's not fair - it's downright cruel - but you and your family will, I sincerely hope, get some comfort from that knowledge.

20 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Just read this thread. You all must be very strong characters to go living your life as best you can without trying to let things effect you. I can't offer anything I'm afraid other than my best wishes for you all and hope things work out for you all and the kid gets his superb day out at Pride Park.

Keep us posted Coneheadjohn.

I couldn't have expressed my thoughts any better, so i'll just "ditto" your sentiments.

9 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

So sorry for your family John. It must be incredibly difficult to face such a struggle when your son is still so young.

I've long thought that there were some advantages in knowing you had a "due date" - especially when you've lived to a good age - but that was entirely theoretical for me until approx. 2 years ago when I learned the brain damage I so miraculously avoided in 2007 (I had a pulmonary embolism which killed me on 31/10/2007 for 45 minutes - and then twice more on the next two days - leaving me in a coma for almost a month) was beginning to occur, meaning I'll likely have all the symptoms of Alzheimer's within 5 or so years...and which I will not permit to happen.)

It ensures I do the things I've been meaning to do. It also permits me to give my acknowledgements, etc to family and friends.

Obviously, it's very different for a 50yo man who should've died of his first illness at 41 viz a young 18yo man but please try to hold that thought.

It's not fair - it's downright cruel - but you and your family will, I sincerely hope, get some comfort from that knowledge.

I'm really sorry to hear that and thanks for posting it.

I hope they come up with some way to keep you in good shape.

I'm glad you made it and that it's given you a different outlook on life.Bloody hell that must have been terrifying!

You very quickly learn that there is always someone worse off than yourself.

Our lad(Joel)is on a list of people,he's 4th on the list but all those ahead of him are in real trouble and they are all children under 18 Joel is still 50/50 at this point so we are still positive.

As you will know when you get into the realms of complicated brain/head surgery there isn't many consultants who are equipped to do it.

Joels consultant in Birmingham(Richard Irving)is the best at this,he had a go last year and it didn't work.Different op and plan this time so hopefully a better outcome.

Cheers

9 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

So sorry to hear this, life can be a cruel and unpredictable mistress.

I do hope you manage to do everything you wish to and enjoy life to the full for as long as you are able.

21 hours ago, Ewetube said:

So sorry to hear this, life can be a cruel and unpredictable mistress.

I do hope you manage to do everything you wish to and enjoy life to the full for as long as you are able.

21 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I'm really sorry to hear that and thanks for posting it.

I hope they come up with some way to keep you in good shape.

I'm glad you made it and that it's given you a different outlook on life.Bloody hell that must have been terrifying!

You very quickly learn that there is always someone worse off than yourself.

Our lad(Joel)is on a list of people,he's 4th on the list but all those ahead of him are in real trouble and they are all children under 18 Joel is still 50/50 at this point so we are still positive.

As you will know when you get into the realms of complicated brain/head surgery there isn't many consultants who are equipped to do it.

Joels consultant in Birmingham(Richard Irving)is the best at this,he had a go last year and it didn't work.Different op and plan this time so hopefully a better outcome.

Cheers

Thanks guys but, honestly, there is no reason to feel sorry for me.  For me, every day is a genuine bonus given what should/could have happened 9 years ago. I have the added benefit that it's never been terrifying for me....I basically slept through the entire experience.

Good luck to Joel. That's what's important.

1 hour ago, EssendonRam said:

Thanks guys but, honestly, there is no reason to feel sorry for me.  For me, every day is a genuine bonus given what should/could have happened 9 years ago. I have the added benefit that it's never been terrifying for me....I basically slept through the entire experience.

Good luck to Joel. That's what's important.

Glad you're ok mate?

Hi all,

Thanks to you all for posting and caring.

Had loads of offers from people on here which is incredible.

Following the advice I emailed the club who stepped in straight away and offered Joel and the family a VIP day out at a match(Bristol City was our choice).This is unbelievable.They couldn't do enough for Joel....thanks.

So thanks to you all,I will name you all later.

The one that made us cry was when it came to late the some of you on the forum were planning on having a collection independently and organising something...thanks,really appreciated.

Let you know how he goes, not sure how to post pictures?

Cheers

8 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Hi all,

Following the advice I emailed the club who stepped in straight away and offered Joel and the family a VIP day out at a match(Bristol City was our choice).This is unbelievable.They couldn't do enough for Joel....thanks.

The one that made us cry was when it came to late the some of you on the forum were planning on having a collection independently and organising something...thanks,really appreciated.

Cheers

To post pics, you'll either need to be member+ or upload them to a hosting site like photobucket.

Can always give you a hand uploading them myself if you don't want it on somewhere like that -just drop us a PM. :)

Hope you all enjoy your day! 

Member +,how do I do that?Don't mind contributing.

15 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

To post pics, you'll either need to be member+ or upload them to a hosting site like photobucket.

Can always give you a hand uploading them myself if you don't want it on somewhere like that -just drop us a PM. :)

Hope you all enjoy your day! 

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Hi all,

Cheers

That's great news John.

Also massive thumbs up from DCFC for communicating with and trying to help fans. That's important to me. It's hard to support a club who just don't give a toss. I'm getting more and more certain I chose the right club to support.

46 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

That's great news John.

Also massive thumbs up from DCFC for communicating with and trying to help fans. That's important to me. It's hard to support a club who just don't give a toss. I'm getting more and more certain I chose the right club to support.

Response was unbelievable Tony.From club and fans alike.

A lady called Angela dealt with it in a manner which sets an example in terms of service.

Definitely a fantastic showing from DCFC in terms of ethics and treatment of fans and from this forum.

20 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Response was unbelievable Tony.From club and fans alike.

A lady called Angela dealt with it in a manner which sets an example in terms of service.

Definitely a fantastic showing from DCFC in terms of ethics and treatment of fans and from this forum.

Really glad they are looking after you guys. Good to see the club has a heart.

I hope you, Joel and the family have an amazing day.

Archived