Favourite sport apart from Football ...

Perky1106

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Mills_DCFC said:

Easily horse racing, you really cant beat a classic or a festival like Cheltenham & Royal Ascot

I prefer the meat and drink of run of the mill midweek meetings at places like Southwell, Market Rasen et al. You tend to get proper racing people rather than hordes of annoying stags and hens just getting plastered, fighting and shouting at horses that you often get at big meetings.

York can be a nightmare.

My exception to the rule was at Newcastle races. I went with the other half for an afternoon of racing and there was these really annoying drunk geordie lads near to us on the rail, last furlong and as the horses were approaching he was just shouting "go on! Hit the f****r!"

No respect for the animal let alone the game.

I just laid into him completely unexpectedly and got ejected and rightly so.

I was fully sober and don't condone physical violence which is the irony.

11 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I prefer the meat and drink of run of the mill midweek meetings at places like Southwell, Market Rasen et al. You tend to get proper racing people rather than hordes of annoying stags and hens just getting plastered, fighting and shouting at horses that you often get at big meetings.

York can be a nightmare.

My exception to the rule was at Newcastle races. I went with the other half for an afternoon of racing and there was these really annoying drunk geordie lads near to us on the rail, last furlong and as the horses were approaching he was just shouting "go on! Hit the f****r!"

Cant disagree with you there, I've always found Royal Ascot the worst. People just going for a day out, not taking an interest in the racing and by the end being absolutely **** faced they cant remember anything!

Purely for the spectacle of seeing the best horses around going toe to toe. That's why I love the Derby, Champion Hurdle, Gold Cup etc.  

15 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

York can be a nightmare.

I once stopped a bloke who was trying to throw a wheelie bin over the bridge at the entrance to Cheltenham, where the horses pass underneath on their way to the car-park.

By stopped, I mean dropped but he left me no choice.

I used to love the festival, but it's now become a city spivs day out.

2 hours ago, DancingDory said:

Go to Planica and watch the ski flying championship m8. Sick party, sick ski jumping (world record: 251m)

To be honest they tried to boost it's standing in the UK with that TV programme, but it's still not taken off.

5 minutes ago, Ramchester said:

Living in Australia they're all mad fir AFL, I've never seen so many men fumble balls like a gay o in my life. Yet the MCG will have 98000 mentalists watching it.

AFL is primarily a Victoria game though isn't it. More Rugby mad  in Sydney. 

Just now, sage said:

AFL is primarily a Victoria game though isn't it. More Rugby mad  in Sydney. 

It's dominated by Victorian teams, but it doesn't necessarily dictate the league. The Sydney Swans have come through two tough games to be in the semi's.

It plays out a bit like rugby league.

2 minutes ago, DancingDory said:

Y, see that Jenny Jones won a bronze medal at the 2014 winter olympics in snowboarding. The one gold medal was in skeleton. Is there a skeleton fever going in the UK? :)

No mate. It's down to it's bare bones. 

On 24/05/2016 at 15:56, AshfieldRam said:

Big fan of American Football! Got a soft spot for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Ive been watching NFL about as long as I have been watching the rams. Which is about 30 years.

Although admittedly when it went off ch4/5 i had a few years when i didnt watch any.

Love watching youtube clips now of 1985/1986 time when you could put hits in, and teams had decent running games'.

Oh and I grew up a giants fan.. so another boooooo to any eagles fans.

• 3 months later...

Archived