Clough and Burton

Ramz64

11 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I'm not too sure about him getting his faced rubbed in it, in fact it'll likely be the other way around and Nige will end up "trolling" the Derby fans again, he'll throw out a comment about budget (and he'll be right) he'll throw out a comment about the money men having no idea (and he'll be right) he'll throw out a comment about the fact Burton shouldn't be on the same pitch in a league fixture (and he'll be right). He'll throw in a comment about 40 million quid spent and STILL in the same division (and he'll be right)  he'll probably throw in a comment about the 1-0 win at the Pirelli and this forum and 99.5% of it's posters will get themselves all in a tizzy over nothing but him stating facts.

....and all the time, he'll just look like a sad and bitter man who likes to hold a grudge.

*yawn*

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

....and all the time, he'll just look like a sad and bitter man who likes to hold a grudge.

*yawn*

Let it go Wolfie.

I really don't think he gives a rats arse. Derby have moved on, Burton have moved on, hell even I've let it go.

I think he's done alright out of life and probably doesn't over care whether you or others think he's sad, bitter and twisted. Last time I saw him he was smiling his head off, still trying his best to win the occasional game of football.

In fact if you want to see bitter and twisted just read some of the comments on here about him after 3 and a bit years away from the club. A lot of that time he's done fairly well for himself, which must nark some of you beyond belief.

I hope he does throw a couple of lines out, he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't try to get under Derby's skin for this game.

Whatever is said pre match can't disguise the fact  £ for £., player for player, size of club v size of club, Derby should absolutely muller Burton all over the park but I think a few of you though that at the Pirelli and look how that turned out.

17 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

*yawn*

And he'll go on about what he could do with a million pound striker, forgetting that when he had that money to spend on a striker he bought Conor ******* Sammon.

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

And he'll go on about what he could do with a million pound striker, forgetting that when he had that money to spend on a striker he bought Conor ******* Sammon.

Forgetting of course that the other striker he signed was Chris ******* Martin for free.

I think the loan fee for half a season from Fulham more than paid for the mistake that was Conor Sammon

I tipped Burton to stay up but I worry for them now. Afew other teams near the bottom appear to be picking up unexpected results while Burton have struggled to pick up the points when they arguably deserved to.

Burton need pointson the board soon because from April onwards they'll be facing a number of teams fighting for a top six spot. Could be too late by then!

14 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Forgetting of course that the other striker he signed was Chris ******* Martin for free.

Exactly, you've just proved my point! He goes on about teams with money yet he's proven to himself that he can get good players without spending money, so why bother moaning? I used to respect Nigel for what he did for Derby but I lost that after his comments before their game against us.

Well I for one wish Clough was given £40 million to spend rather than the excuse of a recruitment team we had under Paul Clement and that knobjockey of a manager Nigel Pearson.

We would have a quality team on our hands now. Not saying Clough would have gotten us to the Premier League, but I have faith he would have provided us with a squad which would under a different manager.

25 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

I would really love to but I can't find anything to disagree about this !!

Though there are, of course, other arguments that you could make, like if money is really the only differentiator between clubs then how do/did Leicester or Derby, or the red lot down the road or Blackburn ever win the first division, or poor teams ever beat rich teams; like, if money is really the only differentiator between winning or not, or being in a higher division or not, then why bother with a manager at all because clearly good management is not enough; like, if Burton really shouldn't be on the same pitch as Derby in a league match just because they appear to have less financial resources, then what's the point - of sport, of football, - if you can't be ambitious because you are poorer, if you can't better yourself even though you might be less well off.  There's no point in Derby, or almost anyone else in the Championship, trying to get promotion on that basis simply because we are now less rich than most of the teams above us.  Well b******s to that.

And the old tosh about the easy target, money men having no idea.  About what? Money? Football?  Well if it's the latter then that means 99.9% of everyone who watches knows nothing about the game, that only 'professionals' do know (Steve Claridge anyone? Kenny Burns?); if you go into hospital you don't know what care you want to receive, or to a cinema to watch a film when you're not an actor, or a play or an opera; when you watch the Olympics and you're not an athlete, you have no idea?  Of course you can have 'an idea' about what you are watching or the service you are getting, whether you're a money man or not. And who knows, maybe that idea is better than that of the so-called professionals.

Nigel's dad took so-called poorer clubs from relative obscurity to the top of football in this country. Twice.  I can't recall him ever making money the excuse for losing. Or winning.  But maybe my memory is fading.

Sith Happens
28 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Exactly, you've just proved my point! He goes on about teams with money yet he's proven to himself that he can get good players without spending money, so why bother moaning? I used to respect Nigel for what he did for Derby but I lost that after his comments before their game against us.

What did he say?

31 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Though there are, of course, other arguments that you could make, like if money is really the only differentiator between clubs then how do/did Leicester or Derby, or the red lot down the road or Blackburn ever win the first division, or poor teams ever beat rich teams; like, if money is really the only differentiator between winning or not, or being in a higher division or not, then why bother with a manager at all because clearly good management is not enough; like, if Burton really shouldn't be on the same pitch as Derby in a league match just because they appear to have less financial resources, then what's the point - of sport, of football, - if you can't be ambitious because you are poorer, if you can't better yourself even though you might be less well off.  There's no point in Derby, or almost anyone else in the Championship, trying to get promotion on that basis simply because we are now less rich than most of the teams above us.  Well b******s to that.

And the old tosh about the easy target, money men having no idea.  About what? Money? Football?  Well if it's the latter then that means 99.9% of everyone who watches knows nothing about the game, that only 'professionals' do know (Steve Claridge anyone? Kenny Burns?); if you go into hospital you don't know what care you want to receive, or to a cinema to watch a film when you're not an actor, or a play or an opera; when you watch the Olympics and you're not an athlete, you have no idea?  Of course you can have 'an idea' about what you are watching or the service you are getting, whether you're a money man or not. And who knows, maybe that idea is better than that of the so-called professionals.

Nigel's dad took so-called poorer clubs from relative obscurity to the top of football in this country. Twice.  I can't recall him ever making money the excuse for losing. Or winning.  But maybe my memory is fading.

You need to sit down, pal, and have a cup of tea , you are mumbling and delirious. Get help.

Dont worry, though, tomorrow is another day

43 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

He said we were trying to "buy our way" up and he's also gone on and on about not having a a "million pound striker" this season. As I've stated previously, Conor Sammon is your idea of a million pound striker you ****.

Did he actually use the words "buy our way up" or are you paraphrasing not quoting?

yep he made a mistake on Sammon, everyone's allowed a mistake. Better than the money wasted on Vydra - barn doors are safe when he's around

5 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

It was along the lines of "We tried to build success, now they're trying to buy it".

Is he wrong BurtonRam?

If Derby aren't trying to buy success what have they been doing with Mel's cash?

Of course Derby are trying to buy success, most of the top 6 in the Championship are doing the same this season.

Why would a comment like that make you lose respect for him?

Sith Happens
57 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

He said we were trying to "buy our way" up and he's also gone on and on about not having a a "million pound striker" this season. As I've stated previously, Conor Sammon is your idea of a million pound striker you ****.

To many we have been so he's probably not wrong. Connor Sammon was a poor buy but better value for money so far than some of our recent signings. Others like martin, bryson, Forsythe, Keogh, Buxton, brayford, russell, ward all proved excellent signings.

15 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Along those lines or exactly?

I say "along those lines because I cannot say the actual quote without 100% certainty, but what I can say for certain is that he said that he tried to build it and that now we try and buy it.

14 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Is he wrong BurtonRam?

If Derby aren't trying to buy success what have they been doing with Mel's cash?

Of course Derby are trying to buy success, most of the top 6 in the Championship are doing the same this season.

Why would a comment like that make you lose respect for him?

Are you telling me that if Burton generated the revenue that Derby do, he wouldn't spend money? Everyone tries to "buy success", it's just that some have more money to do that than others. If he wasn't trying to "buy success" then he would sign volunteers who would play for free. Is there supposed to be a certain threshold for when a club is deemed to be trying to "buy success"?

He left Derby before Mel invested in the club, therefore he was present during a completely different era. I lost respect for him over it because I just felt like it was an unecessary dig at the club that wasn't needed. I'm probably being slightly bitter as a result of Derby constantly being laughed at by bandwagon jumping Burton fans, but it just made me slightly annoyed.

Archived