Shackell and Bryson

Jimbo Ram

In hindsight Bryson should have gone when Burnley came in for him, he hasn't hit the heights since, I'm a fan of his though and if we can get him back to his best then great.

Shacks will have a part to play this season I'm sure. Wouldn't sell either while we are potentially in the promotion race.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

Both these guys are solid and add depth to the squad,hope we keep both and give them more starts.

These players need first team action for more than a few minutes a game,not suggesting the mindless rotation system tho.

Think you have hit on the contradiction but not addressed it....two solid players who are 'first-team' regulars for most Championship teams. But we are winning games and I wouldn't see especially Shackell forcing his way back in unless there are injuries. Pearce waited for a season to get his chance and you don't want to upset a settled defence.

It's where a manager earns his money...he sells them the team/club, the lure of premier league football and the promise if they work hard their time will come.

Healthy competition is vital...moaners can move on ..

I like Bryso, definitely keep him but if he wants first team football then I could understand if he wanted to leave. Saying that I think he'll definitely play his part this season one way or another, there will be injuries and to be honest Hughes and Butterfield aren't playing THAT well IMO. 

Shackell I'm not too fussed about, I thought he was the bee's knee's when he first came in and exactly what we needed but ever since that second run under Clement ended he has been average at best, easily behind Keogh and Pearce at the moment. If we can shift him and promote Rawson or bring in cheaper cover then happy days. 

41 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Would be interested and amazed what you base this on?

On what level is Bryson not a mcclaren fan??? Mcclaren made him as a player and he had his best season for us under mcclaren. As for the burnley move..... how did mcclaren talk him out of it?  I seem to remember in an interview Bryson said he went to burnley to talk to them and look around, then decided to stay at derby.

bryson and hughes were played as the midfield 2 in the 4-2-3-1 formation due to lack of options when thorne eustace and mascerll were all injured and out goalkeeper and defenders were making a lot of individual mistakes. Hardly playing bryson there by choice.

Nothing more than my hunch. Based on what I remember from the time. He didn't start the PO final and thought about Celtic then, certainly wasn't happy about it.

He won POTY before McClaren came to the club. Over the time McClaren was here he fell behind Hedrick, had injuries and didn't seem himself.

Like I said, he went from being a star man to second choice.

Nothing more than my hunch.

Edited:

At the time I was under the impression he was all but gone to Burnley when they met his release clause, the club/rush/McClaren/whoever got him on a 5 year contract with a pay rise. Of course it was played down after, nothing in in it at all.....

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Bryson needs Martin.

Poor Craig. 

2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Wonder if Fulham scouts read forums 

Possibly/possibly not. 

So ... Shackell misses a few games because Pearce is playing out of his skin, and we reckon its time to sell up and bring in a less rounded, less experienced centre half right? Basically, lets weaken the squad, because football is just about the starting eleven, the rest don't really matter.

Very well thought out everyone. Well done.

Rawson??? Do me a bleeding favour will you?

1 minute ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

So ... Shackell misses a few games because Pearce is playing out of his skin, and we reckon its time to sell up and bring in a less rounded, less experienced centre half right? Basically, lets weaken the squad, because football is just about the starting eleven, the rest don't really matter.

Very well thought out everyone. Well done.

Rawson??? Do me a bleeding favour will you?

Yes. Thanks. And Rawson yes. Get in! 

5 hours ago, dcfcgodd said:

Hanson is terrible 

Hanson is a strong, quick, young footballer with a good touch and a lot to learn. At this level he could play anywhere in midfield and give a good account of himself. And he is going to get better 

2 hours ago, jono said:

Hanson is a strong, quick, young footballer with a good touch and a lot to learn. At this level he could play anywhere in midfield and give a good account of himself. And he is going to get better 

Agreed with that Jono. He will learn more, will get better and better. 

Would love to keep Bryson. He'll have a part to play before the end of the season no doubt, especially if he can recapture his 2013/14 form. 

Shackell I can't stand. I think he holds us back when he plays, with his inability to control a football, five second delays when choosing a pass and constant firing the ball out of play. Pearce is a big improvement in that regard and isn't that much worse in the air than him. Plus I think he's petulant; he should have been sent off at least three times last season for off the ball incidents that were completely avoidable.

Would much rather have Rawson on the bench, giving him an incentive to sign a new contract and the chance to learn if he gets a chance to get on the pitch. 

Archived