Shackell and Bryson

Jimbo Ram

Just been thinking about these 2. Both top players on their day and both would get in to the majority of other teams in the Championship. Will either be looking for a move in January to get more chance of regular football? I hope the answer is no as both are very good backup to the current starting X1. Thoughts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can afford to keep both, then yes absolutely.

If not, then we have perfect replacements in the academy through Hanson & Rawson.

Shackell won't move because he is on (allegedly) very good wages.

Bryson, i think if Celtic were in for him he'd go in heartbeat, if it's A.N. other championship club, perhaps, I get the impression he's not a McClaren fan, talked him out of going to Burnley then favoured Hendrick, played him defensive then was off to Newcastle...but Bryson does love Derby, so I'm sure he wouldn't go lightly.

They both have enough years in the tank for one more decent contract but are no longer automatic choices. I think it is almost up to them .. Are they happy staying and having to fight for a spot in the starting 11 which was almost guaranteed 12-18 months ago or will they have itchy feet. ?

I would like both to stay as they are fine footballers; but a place in the team is about form, how they are training and any injuries competing players might have. Not a divine right based on past performances or status as previous ever presents. 

I like Bryso. He will get the chance at some point and won't give it up without a fight. Healthy competition in the middle of the park for me. I'm sure he'll weigh in with a few crucial goals from the bench over the course of the next month or so. I wouldn't let him go.

Shackell I'm much less bothered about to be honest. If I was him I'd want to play, given his age and experience etc. But it depends on his motivations. If he went, it would leave us light on defensive cover. Rawson is supposedly a talent but I wonder how he'd cope with the pressure. If Shackell wants to go, I'd let him go with our good wishes.

I think Bryson would actually be playing instead of Butterfield had he not been injured when the Mac took over. Since then we've been winning everything so I think it's been more of a case of not upsetting a winning side. It's similar with Shack too. Dropped by Pearson through injury, Pearce comes in and is outstanding. 

I think they'd only leave if they were going up, which is unlikely for Shackell. As someone mentioned in the thread earlier, if Celtic came in for Bryson I think he'd go unfortunately. 

Bryson I'd keep hold of but let's be honest, he's probably last in line for a starting berth at the minute. Hopefully Elsnik will be the one to replace Bryson in the next 12-18 months.

Regarding shacks, I'd l try and tie Rawson down to a new deal and then happyily sell shacks on. Rawson is at a stage of his career where he needs to be playing though so he may see his future elsewhere

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Shackell won't move because he is on (allegedly) very good wages.

Bryson, i think if Celtic were in for him he'd go in heartbeat, if it's A.N. other championship club, perhaps, I get the impression he's not a McClaren fan, talked him out of going to Burnley then favoured Hendrick, played him defensive then was off to Newcastle...but Bryson does love Derby, so I'm sure he wouldn't go lightly.

Would be interested and amazed what you base this on?

On what level is Bryson not a mcclaren fan??? Mcclaren made him as a player and he had his best season for us under mcclaren. As for the burnley move..... how did mcclaren talk him out of it?  I seem to remember in an interview Bryson said he went to burnley to talk to them and look around, then decided to stay at derby.

bryson and hughes were played as the midfield 2 in the 4-2-3-1 formation due to lack of options when thorne eustace and mascerll were all injured and out goalkeeper and defenders were making a lot of individual mistakes. Hardly playing bryson there by choice.

I want to know what the heck Bryson has done wrong to warrant being totally left out in favour of Mr Static. Staggering really and I think his situation is SO different from Shackell: Pearce has played way way better than Shackell who's game never improved. Pass back hoof it over to the right wing. Zzzzzz. we should move Shackell and try to keep Bryson but it's apparent that Bryson could go anywhere - premier league Scottish league and be a revelation, and not necessarily with a good team. Shame. 

shift Butterfield and have Bryson and Elsnik compete and don't forget that Thornes return is imminent too.

Personally I would be loathe to lose either of them. We will need strength in depth in the second half of the season and I would be amazed if they both didn't get their chance. We are in a great position with such proven quality on the bench. I for one have not given up on promotion this season.

Big fan of both of them - Bryson owes us nothing and is a previous player of the year. Shackell is an excellent championship centre half - couldn't possibly add up the number of last ditch blocks and goal saving tackles he has made over the last couple of seasons.

Bryson I believe is still suffering from the appalling influences of both Clement and Pearson who encouraged his first touch to be always backwards or sideways - like some of the other players a good run in the side under Mac will knock that out of his system and get him back to his best.

Would be great to have Rawson and Elsnick given an opportunity , but lets face it , they are both unproven. 

Don't sell even if  we get an offer is my hope - there is no problem reviewing things at the end of the season.

Some of you seem to be vastly, vastly underrating the ability of Shackell, I'm not sure on what basis we should just bin him off despite his brilliant season last year which helped us build one of our strongest defences in recent seasons and came close to player of the year. I still believe he's superior to Pearce and keogh, however both are very capable and in excellent form so he's deservedly being kept out of the team, but IMO we should keep hold of him and allow his to try to fight his way back into the team.

In terms of Bryson, id let him go and bring in a younger, fresh player who have a similar style to Bryson. He's past his peak and miles away from the levels of Hughes and butterfield, but if he's sold he would need replacing as an impact player to inject energy into the game

Bryson if given a chance would be a far better option in midfield than Butterfield, as long as Bryson was given license to get forward more than he has previously, he would score goals.

Shackell, I hope we keep him, just so I get that warm feeling when I see him warm up on the touchline knowing he won't get any minutes under his belt, after the way he reacted against Rotherham I never wish for him to play for Derby again.

Archived