Good book needed.

davenportram

With my well earned two week break coming up I could do with a good book to read to pass the time between marking, planning and drinking.

Any good recommendations. I quite like the heartwarming stories about underdogs coming good, or people getting a helping hand through sport.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro by Joe McGinniss

American journalist spends one year following and living with an Italian village team that made it to Serie B in the mid 90's. A fascinating insight into the workings of Italian football and a chairman so bonkers he makes Fawaz look entirely sane.

39 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Jeffery Archer?

Yes. His story 'The Fourth Estate' is another good one. A thinly veiled but fairly factual story about Murdoch and Maxwell, with the names changed to protect the innocent.

Did I say innocent?!

You can usually pick them up for a quid in lots of charity shops (except the ones Tony Le M. goes to. They rip him off)

Paul McGrath's autobiography is very very eye-opening and a good read. 

Mike Tyson's is even more shocking...wall to wall jaw-droping antics. How he ever found time to fight I will never know.

Wolf of Wall Street...if you like the film ita a no brainer..different enough to not seem pointless and more in depth on certain aspects I found interesting. Good escapism but still real life. ..

14 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Yes. His story 'The Fourth Estate' is another good one. A thinly veiled but fairly factual story about Murdoch and Maxwell, with the names changed to protect the innocent.

Did I say innocent?!

You can usually pick them up for a quid in lots of charity shops (except the ones Tony Le M. goes to. They rip him off)

A quid's fine by me. ;)

Archived