How do you define a club legend

jono

35 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I appreciate that post. Of course it is a generational thing for many. My argument is really that 'legends' are somewhat universally accepted as such and transcend those generational differences.

As for Jim Smith, it was a fantastic, and excirting era ... a special time in my life too as I was trying to make my own way in the professional game. I'll never forget nights such as the one where we destroyed Birmingham 4-1 at St. Andrews, or the night we came back to beat Coventry 3-2 in the cup, one of the last great floodlit nights at the Baseball Ground.

It was that night at Birmingham in particular, that I realised, Jim Smith was building a really, really special side.

That night at Birmingham was amazing.....Everyone that was there that night knew we had something. I remember I had to go back to work at Toyota after the game and I was telling everyone that we would win the league....for goodness sake, even Dean Sturridge looked half decent.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

That night at Birmingham was amazing.....Everyone that was there that night knew we had something. I remember I had to go back to work at Toyota after the game and I was telling everyone that we would win the league....for goodness sake, even Dean Sturridge looked half decent.

An amazing performance indeed. That's a bit harsh on Sturridge ... he was pretty spectacular for us that season and the next!

On 7.12.2016 at 23:43, Leicester Ram said:

For me, the criteria for that lower tier of legend is this:

Long period spent with club: check

Showed unusual commitment/loyalty to club, loves club: check

Historic achievement or success with the club: check

Ideally, you want them to check all three, but if you overwhelmingly have one or two, I think that qualifies you too. Bryson checks all three.

Obviously, it depends on how selective you are with the term 'legend' but I don't think it's a bad thing to be more liberal with it than stingy.

That's a good criteria.

I'd add another requirement, which IMO rules Bryson out.

Legend should inspire fans.

Archived