How do you define a club legend

jono

For me it's a celebration of who we are. Not just some small town club in the populations affections which is good in itself, but a  Special hallowed place ... A sort of call to arms ....  "you young fan can belong here and be part of the bigger legend that crosses time" mystique, wonder, awe, myth, inspiration, dreams. ...So much more than the goings on of a particular season match or incident. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Great point in there about Sam, Lionel and Mel.....all Derby/Derbyshire men who put their money into the club they support and love.

Sam's legacy was two League titles.

Lionel returned us to the top flight and left us with a brand new stadium

No pressure Mel.....:ph34r:

The EFL Checkatrade trophy 

2 hours ago, jono said:

Thanks @ilkleyram I see myself as a Johnny come lately in real fan terms ..even though I have been watching on and off for 20 years. I must do the tour. 

For reasons I won't bore you with Jono I've been round both the stadium and Moor Farm twice.  Both are well worth the time and money if you like seeing behind the scenes.  

I first went round Moor Farm about 10 years ago and then went again about three months ago.  The difference between then and now is absolutely staggering. Anyone who doubts for a single minute Mel's commitment to our club and his preparedness to stump up huge amounts of his own money to make the whole operation one of the best in the business, should spend a couple of hours of their time to go and see it.  You won't doubt him and his intentions ever again.

I have followed Derby since about 1984 (my first game) and don't honestly think we have had an actual playing legends since then.

I think they need to achieve a mix of longevity, achievement / success, performance and character.  I think we have had players who have achieved a couple of those categories but in my opinion none that have achieved all.

One player who has never been suggested as a club legend who, for me, should be in the top 1 is Steve Powell. Played 420 games for the club over 14 years. He played in both of the league champions seasons as well as European Cup campaigns. A "true" legend who never gets the recognition he so thoroughly deserves. Probably because his career spanned what was the worst period in our recent history, but he was one of very few who could hold their head high throughout.

If we had been promoted in McClaren's first season I firmly believe Buxton could've have joined the list. Closest thing I have seen during my time as a fan to a player being the embodiment of a club and it's fans. 

If Hughes stays around a couple more seasons then he could as well.

10 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

If we had been promoted in McClaren's first season I firmly believe Buxton could've have joined the list. Closest thing I have seen during my time as a fan to a player being the embodiment of a club and it's fans. 

If Hughes stays around a couple more seasons then he could as well.

Nah.

Buxton is a cult hero ... game, brave, down to earth, 'one of us' if you like, all to his credit, but very limited, too often at fault. Not anywhere near a bona fide club legend.

Just because he rolled his sleeves up, growled a bit, and 'had a go' doesn't put him in the same class as genuine legends of the game such as McFarland, Todd, and McGrath. Think about it.

By the way, in terms of real legends, who 'rolled their sleeves up' ... Dave Mackay would have eaten Buxton for breakfast and sh#t him out.

Interpretations I guess, but ... come on ... 

Hughes? The jury is out. Far too early for him to be entering this discussion.

5 hours ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Couldn't agree more Jono ... we don't celebrate our rich history enough. 

I lived in North London for the best part of a decade, a stones throw from the Emirates. The aesthetic around that stadium is something to behold, it really is.

Graphics panels surrounding the ground celebrating everyone from Herbert Chapman to Ian Wright, (also indeed, our very own Charlie George) ... and statues aplenty of the likes of Adams, Henry, George Graham etc. etc. It is beautiful, literally dripping with the folklore of 'the Arsenal'. Perhaps, as a Graphic Designer myself, I appreciate it a deal more, I don't know.

Anyway, the point being, as much as Arsenal fans got on my wick whilst I was a resident there, and as much as Wenger does my head in, their younger fans are in no doubt about who their legends are, and what an iconic club Arsenal has been over the years. 

We are of a very select band to be crowned the Champions of England, and our club has been graced by true icons of the game. Indeed, when we won the FA Cup, it was a truly fabulous honour ... arguably the greatest and most iconic in the game during that era. 

I'm not saying, that we should live in the past, like our near neighbours, however, the club should celebrate the facts more.

When you go past on the train it's very impressive Daz, but it might also be due to the fact that they spent £400m on the stadium plus at least £130m on the area outside whereas we spent what, £50m?  

2 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

When you go past on the train it's very impressive Daz, but it might also be due to the fact that they spent £400m on the stadium plus at least £130m on the area outside whereas we spent what, £50m?  

Far less. £30m ish if I recall correctly.

Out of interest, would anyone else agree with me in saying that Bryson is a club legend? He has a historic achievement to his name, he's been at the club in both good times and bad, he's turned down other clubs to stay at Derby and is clearly very committed to the club.

I can't see how he isn't, the blokes scored a hat-trick against Forest in possibly our most famous victory over them.

15 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Oh yeah I wouldn't deny that they spent heaps on styling it ... these things can be done for lots less though. I still maintain that we are way too low key as a club about our achievements. That was the main point really.

10 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Out of interest, would anyone else agree with me in saying that Bryson is a club legend? He has a historic achievement to his name, he's been at the club in both good times and bad, he's turned down other clubs to stay at Derby and is clearly very committed to the club.

I can't see how he isn't, the blokes scored a hat-trick against Forest in possibly our most famous victory over them.

Absolutely nowhere near the top bracket of players that have represented us. Let alone a legend. Yes ... a memorable performance ... a club legend over a sustained period? ... no. By the way, I'd hardly call it our most famous victory over them. That was NOT a good Forest side. 

4 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Absolutely nowhere near the top bracket of players that have represented us. Let alone a legend. Yes ... a memorable performance ... a club legend over a sustained period? ... no. By the way, I'd hardly call it our most famous victory over them. That was NOT a good Forest side. 

What would your most famous victory over them be? Being a Derby fan they're all big wins over them, but I think the 5-0 is one that will be remembered not just by fans of both clubs, but people who aren't fans of either club.

Archived