Was Brian Clough more of derby fan or a forest fan? And what about the clough family?

CLOUGH1971-72

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Slightly off topic. I recall a tv report around '77 showing Clough going back to the baseball ground on a non-match day. Was it to discuss a possible return?

Yes.

A radio station (may have been RD) asked him when he entered the BBG "Are you coming back to Derby, Brian?" and he replied "I've never left".

An hour later, the dream was shattered. Rumour has it that Sam Longson stuck his oar in, but I never heard confirmation of that. I don't know whether there's anything about it in Longson's book (which the Memsahib won't let me have before Christmas Day despite it having been out a year or so).

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

as BC was before my time, I don't have any emotional attachment to him... so, he's totally Forest in my eyes.

I'll admit that first watching the Rams from the early 80s, then BC was the enemy as far i was concerned. Arthur was the king and everything else was second rate.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

as BC was before my time, I don't have any emotional attachment to him... so, he's totally Forest in my eyes.

Before my time too but I grew up watching video tapes of match of the 70s and listening to my old man tell me how great it was so I love Cloughie and the success he brought to this club. By extension I rather liked the romance of Nigel managing us and building a club like his dad had done 40 years earlier. I'm an old softie though and love the nostalgia of it all!

I think Cloughie was happier in himself when he was at Derby. 

In have to agree with Mostyn and others, when I was a young rams fan, Clough represented Forest, and he was there ages, not only that, Forest were mildly succesful in that time, and always finished above us. I disliked him immensley until i was a bit older and i realised what he had done for us. We had Arthur, they had clough, both cloughs infact.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Some maybe the forest fans I talk to are right. And it's people like you that prove them right. Brian Clough is derby county! Without him winning the league in 1969 and 1972 the football club wouldn't be half as special as it is today. Learn to live with it pal. Look where were when he took over

1 hour ago, RodleyRam said:

Before my time too but I grew up watching video tapes of match of the 70s and listening to my old man tell me how great it was so I love Cloughie and the success he brought to this club. By extension I rather liked the romance of Nigel managing us and building a club like his dad had done 40 years earlier. I'm an old softie though and love the nostalgia of it all!

I think Cloughie was happier in himself when he was at Derby. 

Spot on mate that's how we should remember him.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

In have to agree with Mostyn and others, when I was a young rams fan, Clough represented Forest, and he was there ages, not only that, Forest were mildly succesful in that time, and always finished above us. I disliked him immensley until i was a bit older and i realised what he had done for us. We had Arthur, they had clough, both cloughs infact.

How at any point could a derby fan immensely dislike Brian Clough? Learn the clubs history 

5 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

How at any point could a derby fan immensely dislike Brian Clough? Learn the clubs history 

My first games were just after Clough had arrived in Derby and I loved the bloke for what he did for the club, But I couldn't  stand the bloke when he was winning stuff up the road. The love returned when he finished at the treetards.

6 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

A bit patronising considering those of us stating that BC 'used to' be the enemy are probably in our 40s so therefore, do know about the club's history. Maybe with more objectivity due to not jumping on the bandwagon in 1970 :whistle:

15 hours ago, davenportram said:

I thought derby wanted to get BC back in the 70's. why would they fall out over that and then work together afterwards?

That's correct but the fall out happened later when Taylor came back on his own .It rankled that Taylor came back then but he was the one that wanted to stay at Forest at the attempt in the 70's to get  them back .

As I say a lot of people thought it was over the Robertson transfer but I believe that's not the case.

8 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

Some maybe the forest fans I talk to are right. And it's people like you that prove them right. Brian Clough is derby county! Without him winning the league in 1969 and 1972 the football club wouldn't be half as special as it is today. Learn to live with it pal. Look where were when he took over

I think your mind is a bit warped. Derby County isn't special because of winning the league. Those titles are way in the past and didn't stop I'd plummeting to the lows of the third division, where we were when i became a Derby fan. 

Brian Clough didn't have Derby at heart, he had his wallet at heart. He turned his back on Derby and went to our rivals. Whilst we were struggling, he was living it up down the A52. 

His achievements were good, granted, but that's not too say we'd never have got promoted without him.

Winning the league, either under him or Mackay is off no consequence now the premier league exists and does us no favours and provides no advantage.

All it provides is misty eyed nostalgia for old boys wishing they were young again.

Clough's legacy for Derby was financial ruin and irregularities. His achievements have been matched by Cox, Smith and Davies in getting Derby promoted, with perhaps Davies' achievement being more unexpected. 

The money Clough spent on making Derby champions ruined us, but made his achievements easier. 

It's just an age thing. If you were lucky enough to be a Rams fan when Clough and Taylor were here, you were able to witness achievements that were way beyond expectations. Not only did we win trophies but the way we played was a joy to watch. The basis of that team then went on to win in 1974/75 League, with even more flair and style. Then it went pear shaped for a while.

Since then, we've had some good times and some less good. It would be difficult for the younger folks on here to appreciate just how good it was for those of us who travelled the country from 1968 to 1976. Just take it from me that it was different class to most of what followed.

All are entitled to an opinion about everything. Many supporters found Clough hard to like even through those successful years. I'm just grateful to him and Peter Taylor for bringing something to the Club that was extraordinary. I don't know whether he was more Derby than Forest although I have my [slightly emotional] views on that. The fact that they went on to repeat their success elsewhere was further testament to their managerial partnership and skills. They probably wouldn't last 5 minutes now in the new world of football but that's not the point.

Brian Clough was great for Derby and its fans in and around the 70s. Some of those managers who followed..well, really:o

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think your mind is a bit warped. Derby County isn't special because of winning the league. Those titles are way in the past and didn't stop I'd plummeting to the lows of the third division, where we were when i became a Derby fan. 

Brian Clough didn't have Derby at heart, he had his wallet at heart. He turned his back on Derby and went to our rivals. Whilst we were struggling, he was living it up down the A52. 

His achievements were good, granted, but that's not too say we'd never have got promoted without him.

Winning the league, either under him or Mackay is off no consequence now the premier league exists and does us no favours and provides no advantage.

All it provides is misty eyed nostalgia for old boys wishing they were young again.

Clough's legacy for Derby was financial ruin and irregularities. His achievements have been matched by Cox, Smith and Davies in getting Derby promoted, with perhaps Davies' achievement being more unexpected. 

The money Clough spent on making Derby champions ruined us, but made his achievements easier. 

Wow.

We probably need to go back to ignoring or fighting each other after that post Mostyn.

Archived