Morris Leading Rebellion Against Football League

therealhantsram

20 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've just read back to see how what you're on about, and now I see it.

I meant the collective good of football, rather than society as a whole.

Seeing my online persona grouped in with Cameron, Osbourne, Johnson and Thatcher was too much to take.

Luckily I'm wearing a black armband for comrade Fidel, so I had something to hand to mop up the tears!

I'll be more careful in my use of language in future, possibly!

My faith in humanity is restored.   I think the collective good in football ended in England around 1992.

Funny you should mention Fidel.  Seeing the pictures of Plaza de la Revolucion this week, took me back to being in Cuba four years ago and being confused that Camilo Cienfuegos's image looked very much like Osama Bin Laden.

Camilo_Cienfuegos_Havana_Vas_Bien_Fidel.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit reluctant to comment as I don't have a full grasp of the issue but from what I understand i am unsure of how changes in tv money distribution will benefit the likes of Crawley, Doncaster, Bury and much of the EFL.

Derby v Forest next Saturday on Sky. Championship sides dominate EFL live games at the expense of the smaller, less glamorous staples of the English game. Unless tv revenue as a whole is more fairly distributed between all clubs then i don't see why the lower leagues need to bother reading Mels letter.

I can guarantee Accrington will not be live on tv this season whereas Derby will be shown frequently. Derby will get the tv money and Accrington will get none or a nominal token amount for being members of the EFL.

I'm not sure if i have my facts correct but if the likes of Accrington do currently receive a token amount of revenue from tv rights regardless of whether they get picked to go on telly then IMO this token amount has to be vastly increased.

Obviously there is a market for Derby v Forest and much less so for Newport v Yeovil, although I'd be perfectly happy watching 90 minutes of kick and rush at Rodney Parade. Most wouldn't though.

Understandable.

I am a Derby fan now but have a lot of time and respect for many lower league clubs. Some are run appallingly and i wouldn't bat an eyelid if they went to the wall but some have been run amazingly well under difficult financial circumstances and it's these clubs that need a helping hand.

It's one thing being upset that Derby only get half of what Prem clubs get but if the EFL is all in it together then why not even it out more?

The acid test comes if Derby go up and then i would be interested in Mels stance then. Would he still want closer parity for league clubs or would it all be forgotten about?

I am not in a position to guess at the answer to this but i do believe that Mel is a man who likes to get things done and isn't afraid to speak his mind and take action and i respect that hugely.

What needs to be done though must be for the benefit of the whole of the football league and not just Derby County and if this is the angle that Mr Morris is approaching it from then he certainly has my backing and praise for trying to actively do something about it.

A warning to Mel though, some of these chairmen in the football league are seriously dumb so he'll have his work cut out with some of them. They couldn't run a bath let alone a football club.

I shall watch the story with interest.

My understanding of the issue though is not the best so apologies if this post is wide of the mark.

In a nutshell then, EFL match viewing figures are 50% of PL but the income is only about 5% in comparison.

Our Chairman would not be doing his job properly if he didn't ask for answers on this.

And I hope the ones saying MM should be anonymous weren't the ones calling for him to show himself when things were going badly at the beginning of the season...

I think the issue is:

1. Derby are on telly a lot
  2. We don't see any financial benefit from being on telly because the payment from the league is roughly equivalent to the amount we lose from having to lower ticket prices and still having lower gates.
  3. Premier league clubs benefit massively financially from being on telly, despite the ratings not being vastly different.
  4. Derby think all the football league clubs should be able to view the Football League's figures to understand why clubs don't do better and make suggestions.

I see the point that the clubs should have access to the financials, but unless there's a break from collective bargaining the "EFL" (I hate that branding) are always at a disadvantage from the EPL because of the far larger number of clubs having to deal with a smaller pot of money. Promotion is the only way around this. Will the TV companies pay much more for EFL rights? Or is it a saturated market? I'm a football fan but I very rarely bother watching EFL games other than our own - maybe once every 2 or 3 seasons if I'm bored and there's nothing else on.

Especially this season there are some very big football clubs in the championship with very big fan bases unfortunately not many people want to watch a prem with the Bournmouth Watford Burnley hull wba in it apart from their smaller band of supporters 

The first question i have on this is :

Is the figure quoted by Mel on premier league clubs purely the sum that comes from British national tv contracts (ie sky and BT)

OR

does this take into account overseas selling rights and the money generated from those streams?

If the answer is the former then Mel is dead right, the gap between the EPL and EFL deals is way too big, however we all know much more marketable the EPL is to overseas viewers than the EFL is, so if it does include the latter, im not sure Mel has much of a case.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Can Mel Morris sort his We Are Derby rebellion out first, just tried 20 or so attempts to send my answers to a survey on this, and when I hit the submit button, I keep getting a failed and try later message. 

Me too. Took me half an hour to fill it out then it wouldn't submit and lost it all :huh:

3 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Can Mel Morris sort his We Are Derby rebellion out first, just tried 20 or so attempts to send my answers to a survey on this, and when I hit the submit button, I keep getting a failed and try later message. 

Thanks Mel. Just tried again, and this time the survey submitted, clearly the We Are Derby have regained the force and all they need to do now is pick my wonderful answers as the winning entry so the Aberdeenshire Rams flag can be seen for the next 5 years in the Gordon Guthrie stand. Thank you.

Archived