Morris Leading Rebellion Against Football League

therealhantsram

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Would you prefer he didn't write a letter and take a stand against the FL? That's all he's really done, he isn't the one that went to the papers.

My comments on this are ever so slightly tongue in cheek. I just don't like chairmen. Ever since the Maxwell era I've had 'chairman issues.' ;-)

45 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

As an Australian-based lifelong Derby supporter, he is absolutely right.

Good point - I hadn't really thought about the international supporters as well. Teams like ourselves, Leeds, Newcastle, Forest, even Sheff Utd, Charlton etc in League One, must have plenty.

I just don't understand the need for the Football League to basically force clubs to respect the really tight-arsed middle man that is Sky and other international rights providers, other than that I suppose Sky guarantees the status quo can be maintained for set periods at a time.

They are probably still terrified of what happened when ITV Digital sank, but the longer it goes on, the longer they bleed money to a product that's fast becoming irrelevant.

Why do we need a Sky Sports subscription if the Football League can give Derby an app that can just stream to a Chromecast/Apple TV/Amazon Fire/whatever-enabled TV?

If FL clubs had a good streaming platform to deploy, they'd have a quality product that would have a worldwide customer base.

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

What's particularly interesting this that this comes a week after the news that DCFC are pulling out of the Football League website & mobile app deal to go it alone.  I do wonder if Mel sees a money making opportunity there.

New website was actually announced back in August, the TV rights were discussed and I think Scott posted Mel's thoughts a few weeks ago at the supporters committee meeting

This part has got me thinking;

Morris has been exasperated by the Football League’s insistence that their TV deals include a confidentiality clause so the exact information and figures are not shared with members.

are we under the impression that the EFL are not distributing the money fairly or are they getting a bigger slice of the TV money than they are letting on? Or is it more a due diligence on oir part to make sure that neither of those are the case. If you are the EFL why would you want a confidentially clause in any agreement unless you didn't want people to see what was going off?

It's progress ,,, every club should have the ability or option to stream live games and sell on match basis or season ticket to all games ,, as a fan living in london I would pay for a season ticket to watch all our games live ,, much rather have a real season ticket like I've had over the years but it's just too much of a travel and time consumer for me now ,, crack on Mel 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I bet it would cost the same as a match ticket.

a bit more than the £7 fee to Now TV.

Would pay that ,, after all I used to have season ticket plus travel plus eats so quids in

3 minutes ago, archied said:

Would pay that ,, after all I used to have season ticket plus travel plus eats so quids in

I reckon you'll still have to eat.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

This part has got me thinking;

Morris has been exasperated by the Football League’s insistence that their TV deals include a confidentiality clause so the exact information and figures are not shared with members.

are we under the impression that the EFL are not distributing the money fairly or are they getting a bigger slice of the TV money than they are letting on? Or is it more a due diligence on oir part to make sure that neither of those are the case. If you are the EFL why would you want a confidentially clause in any agreement unless you didn't want people to see what was going off?

I think it's probably due diligence and wanting a say on possibly better ventures. However these confidentiality clauses and the general lack of cooperation from the football league sound very suspicious to me.

16 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'm not sure it would make economical sense to charge it the same as a match ticket.

If streaming of games was priced at say, 75% of cheapest match tickets when not on TV - thatd be a way to sell it as "an alternative for fans who cannot attend" and not undermining actual attendance. 

Might not be the way to maximize revenue but it might be an easier sell to the EFL 

The EFL do seem very inconsistent when it comes to new tech, it was only 2 years ago they were telling everyone how they were linking all the grounds in the league to a fibre optic network.

http://mobile.efl.com/news/article/20140814awaygamesbeamingrg-1828606.aspx

One game beemed back, and not a word since!

One thing I'd say, I think the collective distribution of rights money is one of the strengths of English football, and a major reason why we can support 92 full time league clubs in the 1st place.

Any move to overturn this and instead operate an everyman for himself policy would cause significant long term harm to English football.

It's a rare example of collective good outweighing individual interests.

However, if Mel, as a person with a great track record when it comes to innovation, can see a way for the league as a whole to enrich itself, the league would be foolish not to at least listen to him.

Archived