The Hughes Debate

loughboroughRAM

10 minutes ago, bcnram said:

The level of your comment maybe says a lot about you kid.

Eranio was a fabulous player but umpteen times European cup winner?

Now then young man, back to my question. Who have you seen who you consider to have been better? Maybe also chuck in those in the current squad eh?

Thorne

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

You are being utterly ridiculous. Furthermore, do not presume to condescend me.

Check the record books on Eranio and his medals, please, I invite you.

Someone help me over here please? I'm losing the will to live.

Milan[4]

Serie A: 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96

Supercoppa Italiana: 1992, 1993, 1994

UEFA Champions League: 1993-94

UEFA Supercup: 1994

Genoa[4]

Serie B: 1988-89

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefano_Eranio#Honours

He's utter class. Bewilders me that he still has doubters amongst Rams fans.

That kid could genuinely go on and become world class. He's far far far too good for the Championship. For me, he's the best player in the league, and by some distance.

35 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

You are being utterly ridiculous. Furthermore, do not presume to condescend me.

Check the record books on Eranio and his medals, please, I invite you.

Someone help me over here please? I'm losing the will to live.

Before you dramatically lose the will to live, you seem to have forgotten to answer my question. Which players in the last 40 years that you have seen do you consider to have been better? (inc. the list of the ones in the current squad you say are better).

Eranio got to two European Cup finals (champs league) and was a runner-up on both occasions. He also go to the European super cup when Milan won. Do not think I am decrying Eranio for a second, he was a fabulous player.

Now then kid, back to Hughes.

20 minutes ago, cannable said:
25 minutes ago, cannable said:

Thorne

Thorne

how many games has Thorne been available for since he got to the club?

Part of being a "great" player means you need to be ready mentally and physically week in week out.

There'll be question marks over George right throughout his career as so far he's been unlucky enough and unable to string a season together.

Aside from that, I STILL think Will is the better player.

George is class but Will is special, I'll take some stick for this but I actually think it's the way the teams was being picked and played that has stopped Will from playing his true game.

The lad is on a different wavelength to the majority of his peers.

16 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Before you dramatically lose the will to live, you seem to have forgotten to answer my question. Which players in the last 40 years that you have seen do you consider to have been better? (inc. the list of the ones in the current squad you say are better).

Eranio got to two European Cup finals (champs league) and was a runner-up on both occasions. He also go to the European super cup when Milan won. Do not think I am decrying Eranio for a second, he was a fabulous player.

I am a thirty six year old man. Please do not refer to me as 'kid'. 

There are literally that many, I'm quite simply not getting into it. Your assertion is quite the most ridiculous I've read in many years on this forum, and there have been some absolute hum-dingers. Your argument, is not only wafer thin, it is a non starter.

To sum up: You're suggesting, that Will Hughes, is currently a better, more complete, more rounded player, than the former AC Milan and Italy midfielder, Italian champion, and European champion, Stefano Eranio.

I'll just leave that to sink in with everyone.

I don't need to say any more, really.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

Who have you seen who is better? Eranio would be close but beyond that?

1 hour ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

A proven Italian international, and umpteen times European Cup winner 'comes close' to Hughes? I've heard it all now.

Do me a favour mate. Cloud cuckoo land

He's not even the best, most complete player in the current squad.

Seriously, have you been sniffing glue?

I'm all for a bit of healthy debate and banter about the strengths and weaknesses of the lad, but to call him the best player the club has seen in four decades is completely and utterly ludicrous.

Answer the question then.. Daz you're the one seems struggle to answer it. 

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

Don't bother mate Daz struggling to answer your question anyway.. 

38 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I am a thirty six year old man. Please do not refer to me as 'kid'. 

There are literally that many, I'm quite simply not getting into it. Your assertion is quite the most ridiculous I've read in many years on this forum, and there have been some absolute hum-dingers. Your argument, is not only wafer thin, it is a non starter.

To sum up: You're suggesting, that Will Hughes, is currently a better, more complete, more rounded player, than the former AC Milan and Italy midfielder, Italian champion, and European champion, Stefano Eranio.

I'll just leave that to sink in with everyone.

I don't need to say any more, really.

:)

So that many that you can't even off the top of your head mention just a few?

You are the one that keeps going on about Stefano Eranio. He was a fantastic player and one of the best that I have ever seen play at Derby. His ball skills and vision were a joy to watch but he had lost a bit of mobility in his time at Derby; nevertheless he was outstanding (but not the umpteen times winner of European Cups that you invented).

Now then young man, about that list of players who are much better than Will Hughes - where is it?

17 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Answer the question then.. Daz you're the one seems struggle to answer it. 

SERIOUSLY? Honestly, these forums are an absolute joke.

Stefano Eranio will do for me. For goodness sake, Todd, McFarland and Gemmell turned out for us in the late seventies for a start, but I didn't really want to have to go there. 

Wright, Stimac, McGrath, for a kick off ... one of which, an absolutely universally accepted legend of the game , have all turned out for us 'in the last four decades ... or you could go Kinkladze, Johnson, Baiano, Asanovic to throw four more names out there. Streets ahead of those guys, Hughes certainly is not.

As promising as he is, Hughes hasn't even cut his teeth in the top flight yet. Let's behave ourselves on here shall we?

1 hour ago, utisbug said:

He's utter class. Bewilders me that he still has doubters amongst Rams fans.

That kid could genuinely go on and become world class. He's far far far too good for the Championship. For me, he's the best player in the league, and by some distance.

Let's calm it down a little shall we. I think he will go on to be a mid table premier league team eventually. World class? No chance. To call him the best player in the league by some distance is quite a comment to make when it's debatable whether he is even the best player at this club. 

Just now, McLovin said:

Let's calm it down a little shall we. I think he will go on to be a mid table premier league team eventually. World class? No chance. To call him the best player in the league by some distance is quite a comment to make when it's debatable whether he is even the best player at this club. 

there is 0 debate to say hes not the best player at the club, no1 gets close to him

Just now, McLovin said:

I think you're being a tad dismissive if you don't think there is a shred of chance of him developing into a world class player. Personally I think there is the potential for him to become world class or at least high premiership standard. He is still very young developmentally (after all he missed almost an entire year of training last year) and yet looks comfortable (a cut above really) in a very competitive, physical league playing with players who perhaps aren't on the same wavelength as him. 

A lot depends on how develops when he makes the step-up, there is every chance that with better players around him and more protection from premier league referees he quickly steps up a few gears.

15 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think you're being a tad dismissive if you don't think there is a shred of chance of him developing into a world class player. Personally I think there is the potential for him to become world class or at least high premiership standard. He is still very young developmentally (after all he missed almost an entire year of training last year) and yet looks comfortable (a cut above really) in a very competitive, physical league playing with players who perhaps aren't on the same wavelength as him. 

A lot depends on how develops when he makes the step-up, there is every chance that with better players around him and more protection from premier league referees he quickly steps up a few gears.

It depends on what your criteria is to be deemed a world class player. The term world class is thrown around lots these day. World class to me means top 5 in their respective positions. You may have a different criteria. Whilst he has the talent to become a very good player, to say potentially world class is going a bit ott for me, especially when most potentially world class talents are snapped him up by big clubs by his age(or a few years before). However, that doesn't mean he is going to have a bad career. I just think we should calm down on the praise for the time being because it could eventually end up putting unnecessary pressure on the lad, like we have seen with many english players in the past. See what happened to Michael Johnson from Man City as a good example.

Archived