The Hughes Debate

loughboroughRAM

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Easily? You have to play games to be the best defensive midfielder in the division. He's played 40 odd games in three years. He showed his ability in that initial loan spell where he was outstanding but hasn't hit those heights since. He played most of his games for us last year but despite being the consistent 7/10 man I still think there were better CDM's in the division that performed better. Players who performed better in the crunch games and essentially helped their teams to promotion with consistent outstanding performances. Joey Barton and Adam Clayton I'm looking at you. 

All opinions obviously. I hope he comes back and becomes the best CDM in this league but he's a long way off yet, those brilliant quarterback performances in 2013/2014 seem a long long time ago now. 

Thorne outperformed them both statistically in nearly every aspect which in the absence of a neutral who watched all three regularly is at least something.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

What I mean is by ability, Thorne is definately the best defensive mid in the division, and I think he proved that last season and you're being very harsh on him. He almost never dropped below a 7/10 but also put in many brilliant performances across the season, and also did remain fit for the majority of last season. Despite maybe not being as showy as his loan spell, he was still a vital cog in our team, controlling the play and dictating the midfield and it's this I believe that makes him the very best, it is just a shame he keeps getting injuries

Each to their own bro, you think I'm being harsh, I think you're seeing him through Derby County tinted spectacles. 

I rate him highly and he had a good year but I just don't think he was the best. I believe better CDM's also hit 7/10 most weeks but performed to a higher standard in more games than our George, including in the games that mattered helping their team to the auto spots. 

Archived