Wigan vs Derby - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pay on the day option offered by Wigan and, according to DCFC ticket office this afternoon, 'a good number of tickets are available on the day'. Not sure how many of our initial allocation of almost 3k have been sold but I suspect we'll all enjoy ourselves anyway. Only 130 miles return for a match - that's a result in my book!

13 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

I don't remember the game when one of our players nearly died. 

If we went down to Wigan's level of football and tried to out muscle them, we would lose.

End of.

Jay McEverly, boro away I think? In the bad Nigel years. 

Although I think that was just a freak injury where stopped breathing in the aftermath rather than he was kicked until he died. 

48 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Jay McEverly, boro away I think? In the bad Nigel years. 

Although I think that was just a freak injury where stopped breathing in the aftermath rather than he was kicked until he died. 

If I remember correectly he actually died on the operating table when they were repairing his broken cheek/jaw/something in his head. Stopped breathing for over a minute I think it was.

21 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Imagine the conversation with Steve telling Tom Ince to go out and rough them up, then telling him not to forget his woolly gloves becauses its lower than 10 degress C

I seriously don't get what that is now.  They wear gloves when it's actually mild...sends out a poor message. What's the pre-match warm up if its not energetic enough to take your thermals off for?

Anyway, Wigan are pretty happy to take staying-up this season....so a draw would suit them. Let's take it to them and get early goal. Their small crowd will be quiet as always too! 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I seriously don't get what that is now.  They wear gloves when it's actually mild...sends out a poor message. What's the pre-match warm up if its not energetic enough to take your thermals off for?

Anyway, Wigan are pretty happy to take staying-up this season....so a draw would suit them. Let's take it to them and get early goal. Their small crowd will be quiet as always too! 

Gloves sends out a poor message? Who to? 

Other players? I doubt it. Some have got gloves on too.

Fans? Who cares. I bet the players are really bothered. 

The manager? He's already aware and funnily enough he likes his players to be happy / warm and perform to their best. Was Ince wearing gloves at Wolves recently?

I think the days of players not being allowed thermals and gloves etc is a bit outdated. Football and athletics thermal wear is the norm. I wear it playing sport and I've got more than enough natural insulation too.

I presume there's fans who still think 'he's wearing gloves so he must be weak' or worse.

And I bet there's fans who say 'ooh it's freezing and our centrehalf, owd Ironjaw McGinty, ain't got gloves on. That's because he's a man, is proper hard like and doesn't let a thing like the cold hurt him. Well that's what fans might be trying to say but you can't hear them properly as their voices are muffled due to scarf and balaclava being wrapped around their fruit and nut.

16 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Gloves sends out a poor message? Who to? 

Other players? I doubt it. Some have got gloves on too.

Fans? Who cares. I bet the players are really bothered. 

The manager? He's already aware and funnily enough he likes his players to be happy / warm and perform to their best. Was Ince wearing gloves at Wolves recently?

I think the days of players not being allowed thermals and gloves etc is a bit outdated. Football and athletics thermal wear is the norm. I wear it playing sport and I've got more than enough natural insulation too.

I presume there's fans who still think 'he's wearing gloves so he must be weak' or worse.

And I bet there's fans who say 'ooh it's freezing and our centrehalf, owd Ironjaw McGinty, ain't got gloves on. That's because he's a man, is proper hard like and doesn't let a thing like the cold hurt him. Well that's what fans might be trying to say but you can't hear them properly as their voices are muffled due to scarf and balaclava being wrapped around their fruit and nut.

The only thing that annoys me about players wearing gloves are the ones that have a short sleeve top on as well :blink:

21 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Thermals is more than just warmth, its recovery too.

Always felt worse at the end of a game without them.

As for gloves, cold hands are the worst. Don't understand gloves with short sleeves, though.

Thats because it's impossible for a forearm to feel cold. Same as if you pinch the skin at your elbow you won't feel pain. It's all related. Apparently. 

Hey lads dont hold back lets send a message to the rest of the league we are and be ready for a footballing lession lets get into wigan faces and stay in them. Lets use all the skills of late and use it against them lets use our speed against them.

Lets get into those top 6 spots so we can start chasing down newcastle and does show they can be beaten at home by blackburn that has been struggling of late.

I'd rather we hold back, B4, showing a false level of mediocrity to the rest of the Championship, while quietly gathering points and climbing the table, patiently waiting until the moment is right to switch it on to 100% and catch everyone blindsided and propel our way into the Premier League. A bit like Rocky II when he switched back to southpaw. 

Wigan 0-1 Derby (Baird 94')

Away attempts: 2

On target: 1

Away possession: 80%

Away attendance: 15,000

7 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I am going tommrow did know until today as my dad got this weekend off.

B4 .. In the words of Nelson .. Derby expects you to do your duty and bring home 3 points for us half fans sitting by the wireless waiting for news from the Northern reaches of the realm. COYR 

Archived