The Royals

Mafiabob

How would you vote if there was a referendum on keeping the royal family?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

It doesn't feel like it some days :( Feels the exact opposite

Honest Stive .. It might not feel like it especially with the job situation and economy like it is but the changes to basic attitudes to right and wrong and what is seen as reasonable behaviour that I have seen over my 30 odd years of working life have changed incredibly for the better. Perhaps not always materially in terms of pay and security but simply in respect for your fellow man.

Casual racism, sexism, bullying, lack of consideration, basic fair play. Even if you can't get something there is an acceptance by society of what is desirable and fair. The shi**y boss, teacher, industrialist, politician is still there but they have to lurk in deeper shadows. The rest is just plain economics and I don't have a solution to that one nor does anyone in the west at the moment.

27 minutes ago, jono said:

But Highgate ... What does belong in the 21st century ? A focus group that takes views via a tick box customer satisfaction survey run by xyz on behalf of the presidents office ? Or straw polls of snap chat users opinions of the moment ? Or respondents to Jeremy Corbyn/Theresa Mays Twitter feed ? 

Somehwere society need an anchor. I have yet to see a better example.

we are chatting here about the monarchy and its alleged fitness for purpose ... While right now in Sheffield .. The highly democratic local council has decided to chop some trees down on a residential street. It's not very popular locally so they decided to get the police to knock on the doors of people's homes at 5.00 AM demanding that cars in the street be moved and if not they were towed away. Those who protested in their PJ's got arrested using laws designed to prevent aggressive industrial picketing. .... I know which guardians of the law I find rather more fit for purpose and it isn't a self important, power abusing, website operating, Twitter feeding, service user providing 21st century  local council.

You seem to be not only defending the token head of state/church monarchy that you have in the UK now,  but also suggesting that a return to absolute monarchy would be superior to democracy. 

4 minutes ago, Highgate said:

You seem to be not only defending the token head of state/church monarchy that you have in the UK now,  but also suggesting that a return to absolute monarchy would be superior to democracy. 

Yes .. As long as I am the absolute monarch of course. !

Otherwise I'd just like to see a little more scrutiny and analysis of the serial failings and weaknesses of supposedly democratic local authorities. Particularly that the examination should come from those that oppose the rather arcane remains of the monarchy. An institution that has done a pretty reasonable job over the last 60 odd years. Who met their brief best and most consistently ? 

29 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

If Prince Harry marries this young lady they can stay for a while longer anyway,Zeman-Meghan-Markle-00010.jpg

Won't be long before his old man James Hewitt has a go at romancing her. 

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Won't be long before his old man James Hewitt has a go at romancing her. 

That's one of the most outrageous comments I've read on here....James Hewitt is far too old for her .

15 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It's quite simple in my view.

If you believe everyone is born equal, you can't believe in a Monarchy.

I bow before no man, other than Bucko!

Trouble is, we aren't all born equal - if you did away with the monarchy there would still be fabulously wealthy families in the UK looking out for their own interests far more voraciously than the Royals do.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it', we could do with some stability right now. We tried the Republican thing 350 yrs ago and it was bloody miserable. They banned Christmas, theatres, most boozing and cleavages.

Charles II was restored on a wave of ale and knockers. Hooray to that.

20 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes .. As long as I am the absolute monarch of course. !

Otherwise I'd just like to see a little more scrutiny and analysis of the serial failings and weaknesses of supposedly democratic local authorities. Particularly that the examination should come from those that oppose the rather arcane remains of the monarchy. An institution that has done a pretty reasonable job over the last 60 odd years. Who met their brief best and most consistently ?

Democracy is the best of all the bad options. Of course it stinks at times. The solution to the problem isn't to keep hereditary divine privilege in place. How does the fact that some are born entitled and some aren't provide a good foundation for any society?  What 'job' are they doing that couldn't be done by an elected representative?

9 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Trouble is, we aren't all born equal - if you did away with the monarchy there would still be fabulously wealthy families in the UK looking out for their own interests far more voraciously than the Royals do.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it', we could do with some stability right now. We tried the Republican thing 350 yrs ago and it was bloody miserable. They banned Christmas, theatres, most boozing and cleavages.

France got rid of their monarchy, and it didn't appear to diminish their appetite for sex or wine as far as i can tell. I think your problem is with the puritans/Cromwell rather than republicans in general. 

1 minute ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Read my post above. Its not limited to the Royals.

Fix what you can fix (meaning get rid of inequality based on monarchy) and tackle the rest of inequality in society as best you can. The fact that a head of state is 'royal' seem to me to encourage inequality in a society. Your argument sounds a bit like, why bother curing AIDS when so many other diseases exist?

9 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I post out of self interest mostly.

It's long been a Sunday evening tradition in our household that we listen to the Archers omnibus, while indulging in a decent red, some Duchy of Cornwall water biscuits and a fine cheese, such as Dairylea triangles or a Kraft cheese slice.

Any increase in the price of crackers would be most unwelcome.

Besides, when we last tried a republic, what percentage of the population was eligible to stand, or even vote?

Imagine how good it could be to force our future head of state to eat a Kangaroos todger to earn our vote!

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

France got rid of their monarchy, and it didn't appear to diminish their appetite for sex or wine as far as i can tell. I think your problem is with the puritans/Cromwell rather than republicans in general. 

Just keeping it light with the cleavage and booze focus :D

Many of the royal families are still in situ in Europe, still massively rich and influential, just off the radar.

I think our constitutional monarchy model works well, and was hard won out of the carnage of the seventeenth century. There is a balance. If we had an elected president you know how it would play out .... it would end up being a well-respected former Commons front bench politician who would (probably) be in disagreement with the new majority Govt and we would end up with the USA style Oval Office- Senate-Congress deadlock.

I am sure you have been there - Buckingham Palace is a very big building and if she didn't live in it we would still have to maintain it.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I post out of self interest mostly.

It's long been a Sunday evening tradition in our household that we listen to the Archers omnibus, while indulging in a decent red, some Duchy of Cornwall water biscuits and a fine cheese, such as Dairylea triangles or a Kraft cheese slice.

Any increase in the price of crackers would be most unwelcome.

Besides, when we last tried a republic, what percentage of the population was eligible to stand, or even vote?

Imagine how good it could be to force our future head of state to eat a Kangaroos todger to earn our vote!

As long as its a Harrods Kangeroos todger:D

Archived