When things are bad, and when fans act like things are bad!

Mostyn6

Just wondering if those posters that spent the second half of last season, where I don't think we dropped out of the top 6, whining and moaning and acting as if everything had gone horribly wrong, as if the club and team were in turmoil, now feel ashamed, or silly, or over-dramatic.

I believe in karma, and self-fulfilling prophecies, and think our current predicament should be a lesson to those of you that didn't see and appreciate how good things actually were.

It's a falsehood to say that we've had 3 years of failure, as really, we've had 3 seasons of being involved, yet now, we are way off the pace and this season is true failure (thus far).

Let this be a lesson to ya. When things are good, enjoy it. I lost count of the amount of people describing performances and results last season as "the worst game I've ever seen". Absolute bullsausage. Now look at us.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your first paragraph is were the disaster for where we are currently started.

January 2016 we dropped off with regards performances, some truly awful, we purchased a striker who left is boots at Reading. We sacked the coach and installed a youth coach, the performances were still awful in some games, others we played very well in. We had a shocking play off 1st leg and tried to make up for it in the 2nd but the damage had been done.

We bring in an experienced manager and the continued poor performances rumble on, we now have our 4th manager this year and as much as Mac got the bounce against Leeds, the performances haven't really improved.  

Last season the Championship was probably one of the easiest to get out of..........

What does the tarot cards say for next season, Karma my Arrse!

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Just wondering if those posters that spent the second half of last season, where I don't think we dropped out of the top 6, whining and moaning and acting as if everything had gone horribly wrong, as if the club and team were in turmoil, now feel ashamed, or silly, or over-dramatic.

That would require a modicum of self awareness, perspective, or even contrition. I wouldn't hold your breath.

46 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I believe in karma, and self-fulfilling prophecies, and think our current predicament should be a lesson to those of you that didn't see and appreciate how good things actually were.

It's a falsehood to say that we've had 3 years of failure, as really, we've had 3 seasons of being involved, yet now, we are way off the pace and this season is true failure (thus far).

Let this be a lesson to ya. When things are good, enjoy it. I lost count of the amount of people describing performances and results last season as "the worst game I've ever seen". Absolute bullsausage. Now look at us.

Do you believe in Karma as a winger or in the will Hughes role as suggested recently? 

This years Championship I feel is a step higher in quality and I do honestly feel that last year we should've got promoted. Still I had faith in the club this year that we could challenge for promotion again under Nigel Pearson. However looking back on it Nigel Pearson was an awful appointment looking at his history, where the only success has been at Leicester. Steve McLaren was probably the worst appointment of all the appointments we have made in recent years. Why bring him back? He doesn't deserve to be back at this club. We need someone English, young and exciting, which we might have got if we had appointed Chris Powell or Gary Rowett. I have lost faith this season and ill expect us to be in relegation battle right towards the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hi Noel, I don't want to knock your beliefs but I can't see how karma of 30,000+ football fans having an effect on our league position.

Next you will be telling us the disabled fans are being punished for being ********* in their previous lives. 

Take the karma line out and you're half way on to a decent post, in the 7 years this forum has been online I've never known it so bad, the days of treading the Championship waters, dreaming of GSE spending a Shaun Barker type fee again, Robbie Savage as captain, Conor Sammon up top weren't half as bad as today. 

We can't even lose 1-0 to 3rd in the table without a complete meltdown, how have we gone from accepting zero ambition, mid table football to not allowed to lose a game?

If transfer fees were kept fully private, not even a rumoured fee in the media would we be in the same position? We can't go a day without at least one post complaining at the amount of money we've wasted as if they have personally had to remortgage their own house to fund the player.

Very few were complaining last summer when these players were rolling in, posts of we're going to walk the league were all over, easy with hindsight to now look back and criticise the lot. 

From the outside Derby fans online will look like a bunch of arrogant spoilt brats right now, we're all hungry for promotion but....

qru0tt.jpg

1 minute ago, David said:

Hi Noel, I don't want to knock your beliefs but I can't see how karma of 30,000+ football fans having an effect on our league position.

Next you will be telling us the disabled fans are being punished for being ********* in their previous lives. 

Take the karma line out and you're half way on to a decent post, in the 7 years this forum has been online I've never known it so bad, the days of treading the Championship waters, dreaming of GSE spending a Shaun Barker type fee again, Robbie Savage as captain, Conor Sammon up top weren't half as bad as today. 

We can't even lose 1-0 to 3rd in the table without a complete meltdown, how have we gone from accepting zero ambition, mid table football to not allowed to lose a game?

If transfer fees were kept fully private, not even a rumoured fee in the media would we be in the same position? We can't go a day without at least one post complaining at the amount of money we've wasted as if they have personally had to remortgage their own house to fund the player.

Very few were complaining last summer when these players were rolling in, posts of we're going to walk the league were all over, easy with hindsight to now look back and criticise the lot. 

From the outside Derby fans online will look like a bunch of arrogant spoilt brats right now, we're all hungry for promotion but....

qru0tt.jpg

This is what we were saying on the podcast. 

People need to look at what happened on saturday beyond the result. 

Like I said... If we don't concede that goal on Saturday, It becomes a "hard earned point". But now we did concede with seconds to go, It turns into a Season ending calamity. 

People need to realise that Huddersfield are up there and we are near the bottom 3 and lets be honest. We never looked like winning that game but we definatley didn't deserve to lose it.

We need to have a solid build to a mid table finish and concentrate on next season.

As a relative outsider looking in over the past 3 seasons at Derby. I think anyone who sees failure more than just "we've just not got over the line when it really mattered so hey ho, lets move on and go again" is probably always going to be disappointed supporting the club.

The club are failing in the current moment BIG TIME but the last three seasons I would bite your hand off to have that for the next three.

If it means failure then so be it.

It's all about the individual interprets it.

All things considered, failure for me personally as a Derby fan would be drab football and not challenging for play offs. I don't expect to get in the play offs or to get automatic promotion but to be in with a shout of the play offs towards the last knockings of the season AND playing some entertaining stuff along the way.

So it looks like this season will be failure. :p

Agree with much contained in this 'ere thread. 

Grown tired of logging on here lately. Matchdays on here are a write-off. If we haven't smashed our way to a convincing victory then the consensus seems to be that all the players are no good, the manager's useless etc. Fans turning on fans. It's just not a nice place to visit. So I rarely do anymore. 

However, this thread proves there are sensible, level-headed Rams online. 

38 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

As a relative outsider looking in over the past 3 seasons at Derby. I think anyone who sees failure more than just "we've just not got over the line when it really mattered so hey ho, lets move on and go again" is probably always going to be disappointed supporting the club.

The club are failing in the current moment BIG TIME but the last three seasons I would bite your hand off to have that for the next three.

If it means failure then so be it.

It's all about the individual interprets it.

All things considered, failure for me personally as a Derby fan would be drab football and not challenging for play offs. I don't expect to get in the play offs or to get automatic promotion but to be in with a shout of the play offs towards the last knockings of the season AND playing some entertaining stuff along the way.

So it looks like this season will be failure. :p

If Derby have failed we have only failed personal expectations, not those of the club. 

To quote a piece of a post in another topic....

On 24/10/2016 at 20:14, Half fan said:

So why has DCFC a 14 years' track record of failure to achieve what we all expect and believe to be our rightful position?

"Our rightful position" since when have Derby County had a right to be in the Premier League? I'm 34 years old, in my entire lifetime we have had just 11 seasons in the top flight, in the last 15 years just one season, cheers Billy, what a ball that was.

I find the idea that we have any right to be in the Premier League completely mind boggling. You can have the best attendances, ground, training facilities in the league, you can spend the most on transfer fees but none of that gives you a right to be in the Premier League or even the Championship.

Forest and Leeds have gone down, both with the same mind boggling belief they should be in the Premier League, Forest are closing in on 20 years since being in the top flight but they won a couple of trophies a few years back so you know, they deserve a place right. :whistle:

Said it before the other day, what made 13/14 so special was in part the lack of expectation after being drained of it for years. Some could do with the same reset to calm down a touch. 

We were an average mid table team with average players at the start of the 13/14 season under NC. Then Mac comes in, has a couple of tweaks in personnel and hey presto we are challenging for promotion, only missing out due to bad luck at Wembley.

Although the two next seasons we were up and in the mix, we have never really got to the heights of the 13/14 and I am sorry to say we are back down to an average championship side.

6 minutes ago, toddy said:

Although the two next seasons we were up and in the mix, we have never really got to the heights of the 13/14 and I am sorry to say we are back down to an average championship side.

The next 2 seasons after 13/14 we finished 8th and 5th, please don't make me bring that Reading game up again but we were very very close to 3 seasons in a row inside the top 6. How is that average?

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I could never understand why people were disgruntled with Clement, considering our league position. Then again the chairman was amongst them, and he's always right I guess...

I stumbled across this Forum through the 'Game of Thorne's ' thread , liked the positive chat and the football knowledge and stayed around. It took me a long while to pluck up courage to post and even now, I try to weigh up whether I've got something useful to contribute before I do. 

Unfortunately I feel that there are a current very vocal but relatively small number of doom and gloom merchants that post excessively without putting much thought into what they are saying that taint the atmosphere on the Board. This makes it appear that everyone thinks things are dreadful most of the time even when that is a minority view.

While everyone is entitled to an opinion, is it really necessary to repeat it ad nauseam in every thread? I heard you the first time and if I ignore you it's because I don't agree with you and want you to go away!

(And how can you remedy that repetition? Either bring in the ban hammer and get accused of preventing free speech, or introduce an upper daily post limit? Not very good for morale or revenue, I suspect!)

I have got a few of the main protagonists on ignore but it doesn't half make some of the threads hard to follow.

I have considered not visiting or posting but actually have decided instead to post a little more to try to even out the range of opinions. And if people don't like my optimistic takes please return the compliment and put me on ignore.

Of course I don't like how the football has gone so far this season but I can see the club trying to do something about it and I  will get right behind them.

Off the field (and even on it) I have seen much worse times as I am sure many of us have. But I don't live in the past , I live for the future and I have not given up on this club (or even this season) quite yet.

4 minutes ago, David said:

The next 2 seasons after 13/14 we finished 8th and 5th, please don't make me bring that Reading game up again but we were very very close to 3 seasons in a row inside the top 6. How is that average?

Didn't say we were average in those seasons  -I said we were an average team until the end of NC tenure and we are now back to being an average side.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Of course I don't like how the football has gone so far this season but I can see the club trying to do something about it and I  will get right behind them.

Off the field (and even on it) I have seen much worse times as I am sure many of us have. But I don't live in the past , I live for the future and I have not given up on this club (or even this season) quite yet.

That's the spirit, onwards and upwards (but not sideways) it's the Derby way....

I also think that money plays a big part in fans expectations. Derby average about just under 30,000 fans for home games and play in one the best stadiums in the league. These fans are paying anything between 25 and 45 quid to watch home games and the players are on salaries amongst the highest in the division.

Add to this that we have spent millions on players and therefore all that considered I think to expect challenging for the play offs is not unreasonable.

Of course there will be seasons where it doesn't go to plan and the team might struggle mid table or whatever and you take the rough with the smooth as a fan and put up with that but the past 3 seasons IMO have been good for Derby fans despite the disappointments.

What's wrong with calling things as you see them at the time.. If we are poo in a particular game, then let's talk about us being said turd.. Birmingham last season, a great example. Flower it up all ya like, it was POO ! It's like some sort of forbidden subject.. Don't mention the poo or you are a negative half fan, knuckle dragging doom merchant who throws pints over middle aged cardigan wearing fans.. (Okay a bit of poetic licence there). :ph34r:

Lets take Saturday.. Some posts on here seem to want to politely ignore the injury time defeat, saying that a 0-0 would have been a good away point.. Yes it would but it wasnt!! Yes they are high in the table and we are not.. What does that mean?? Do we give up on them games now? Are Hudderfield playing somesort of electric world beating football, OR are they just a better than average Championship team? We balls it up in injury time AGAIN.. Shsss don't mention it on here tho :ermm:

If we are good on the day, I for one will say so.. I hate Keogh with a passion but that does not stop me from saying, well done Dick, when the situation requires it.

I concede we do have both ends of the spectrum on a forum.. Some of the happy clappers on here beggar belief and they will never see the train that hits them. We also have some real doom merchants but not too many. Some of us on here will ask a question, challenge a decision made by the club, on or off the field, not tow the party line because Morris is a fan.. That does not mean we hate the club.. I would say that those posters are possible the more passionate amonst us..

Blackpool, Blackburn, Forest, Coventry and a few other teams would love to have the 'bad time' we are going through currently.

I'm no happy clapper and the club isn't smelling of roses atm, however we haven't hit an iceberg and sinking without a trace.

Archived