Chris Evans - The return...

RamsPolls

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would we bring Simon Clough back?

Didn't he identify half of this team of supposed failures?

Nope, he identified the ones we keep relying on some 3 years later 

all of which were signed for a pitence of what we've paid since, literally a pitence in comparison 

17 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Nope, he identified the ones we keep relying on some 3 years later 

all of which were signed for a pitence of what we've paid since, literally a pitence in comparison 

Relying on for what?

Don't get me wrong, I think we made some excellent signings but it's amazing how they go from being excellent signings, to failures, to players that don't try and then back to excellent players all within about 2 months to suit different agendas.

What we paid for players is irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Relying on for what?

Don't get me wrong, I think we made some excellent signings but it's amazing how they go from being excellent signings, to failures, to players that don't try and then back to excellent players all within about 2 months to suit different agendas.

So many players get burdened by their price tag. Johnson,Butterfield, Blackman, Ince, Vydra....all debatable value transfers, all "reasonable" championship players. All will not be seperated from their price tags in some fans minds. 

For we brought a lot of "just the wrong guy" transfers, and paid to much, but they are different aspects. 

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Relying on for what?

Depends who u ask, I'm a more level headed supporter, don't get me wrong I vent a bit in the heat of the moment but players don't go from being crap to world beaters in my book week by week.

I don't buy the not trying thing, I'm not sure about the fitness thing either if truth be told although I question concentration levels of some at times which can be attributed to fitness. I think both are scapegoats too often used by fans imo

what i do think is that we've been mismanaged and recruited terribly post clough, I am a clough fan but I'm not blinkered to the fact that tactically he'd never have got us up but recruitment wise him and his team recruited players that were hungry, played with desire and there were more than a fair few with plenty of ability which imo is a lot more than why we have recruited since,

i do think what we pay them is hugely relevant as we've now backed ourselves into a bit of a corner in terms off ffp because we've paid stupid money for some lets say so so players we have vastly limited our riggle room in the transfer market, good job we got 10m for Jeff (Simon clough find I believe) 

7 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Depends who u ask, I'm a more level headed supporter, don't get me wrong I vent a bit in the heat of the moment but players don't go from being crap to world beaters in my book week by week.

I don't buy the not trying thing, I'm not sure about the fitness thing either if truth be told although I question concentration levels of some at times which can be attributed to fitness. I think both are scapegoats too often used by fans imo

what i do think is that we've been mismanaged and recruited terribly post clough, I am a clough fan but I'm not blinkered to the fact that tactically he'd never have got us up but recruitment wise him and his team recruited players that were hungry, played with desire and there were more than a fair few with plenty of ability which imo is a lot more than why we have recruited since,

i do think what we pay them is hugely relevant as we've now backed ourselves into a bit of a corner in terms off ffp because we've paid stupid money for some lets say so so players we have vastly limited our riggle room in the transfer market, good job we got 10m for Jeff (Simon clough find I believe) 

Fair points.

The Clough signings need a bit of relativity adding to them, after all his record signing was Conor Sammon! For every good signing there were 1 or 2 bad ones.

Re FFP there doesn't seem to be much let up in the spending. Breaking our transfer record in the last window would not really seem to indicate that we have backed ourselves into a corner! Hendrick was at the club before Clough.

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Did S Clough get him into the academy? If so, then that's really good. Back a few years ago I was under the impression the academy wasn't very good (Wassall has done good work there)

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair points.

The Clough signings need a bit of relativity adding to them, after all his record signing was Conor Sammon! For every good signing there were 1 or 2 bad ones.

Re FFP there doesn't seem to be much let up in the spending. Breaking our transfer record in the last window would not really seem to indicate that we have backed ourselves into a corner!

Re ffp, time will tell, none of us know if those transfers didn't rely on the deal for Hendrick and Martin going through, the anya one was very late in the day but let's be honest we don't know. 

I hate the Connor Sammon throw back lol

he got one wrong, let's say Chris ' the man most want back' Martin, signed on a free transfer offsets that lol 

or that centre half he signed from Barnsley for about half a million that we had to resign some 2-3 years later for about 8 times that amount. 

i would never argue with anybody that tactically he wasn't naive or anything like that it in terms of recruitment he got it so much more right than anything we've had since 

I was going to post this a separate thread as its been rattling around my head but being as we're on the subject.

since clough name 3 signings that we've made that have been good Value for what we paid and worth their shirt ??

I can name 2, 3 at a push

the irony is I can name 3 clough ones for every 1, quite easily scarily 

for me 

Pearce (more recently and was free)

carson (has made the odd error but a solid keeper for this level)

Christie (genuinely not a fan, I just prefer defenders that can reliably defend but I recognise what a good outlet he has and can be for us, not currently perhaps but for the money we paid a very good signing)

after that im struggling, genuinely 

who else has stepped up and we can honestly hand on heart say yer worth it 

7 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Did S Clough get him into the academy? If so, then that's really good. Back a few years ago I was under the impression the academy wasn't very good (Wassall has done good work there)

I'm wrong he was, I was under the impression we signed him from some small Irish club, I know they sourced Charles Vernom from Ssausagehorpe but obviously he's not there yet sadly lol  

I'm sure it was cloughs reign that saw an overhaul of the accademy and Wassall brought in. 

Archived