Chris Evans - The return...

RamsPolls

Alan Nixon reporting that Stevie Mac wants Chris Evans to return in a senior role... 

I would put the screenshot in this but I am unable to. And Nixon has his tweets protected so I can't share the link.

Thoughts?

Personally not sure why we would re-hire him. Had some awful signings over the years through him.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think everyone involved last time considered his appointment a disaster. Maybe we need his network of contacts though to help get agents and players' back on side. We've already heard how no one wanted to sign for Derby during the last transfer window because the place was considered poison. Maybe bringing Evans in is an attempt to build some bridges with clubs, agents, and players?

I personally wouldn't bother getting him back.  The most successful signings during Schteve's first stint, Wisdom, Bamford, Thorne & (to a certain degree Dawkins) were made before he arrived.  Do we really want the likes of Leon Best again???

Plus I think a lot of the idea behind the Head Coach/DOF structure last time out was because, at the time Schteve was perceived as more than a little hit & miss in the transfer market...

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I personally wouldn't bother getting him back.  The most successful signings during Schteve's first stint, Wisdom, Bamford, Thorne & (to a certain degree Dawkins) were made before he arrived.  Do we really want the likes of Leon Best again???

Plus I think a lot of the idea behind the Head Coach/DOF structure last time out was because, at the time Schteve was perceived as more than a little hit & miss in the transfer market...

I feel like Evans is always looking for someone to sign that isn't prolific but if he does well at Derby he will be praised for signing him.

It's like he's wanting to attention of seeing potential in a poor player. i.e the Leon Best signing. If Leon Best went on and scored 10+ goals that season for us, People would have praised Evans highly and he would have been seen as one of the best scouting directors in the country. But sadly he isn't and he signs rubbish.

Half of his signings were poor, but he's better than whatever we've had since. Our loan signings in particular were very good while he was in charge and I still think that Mascarell was an astute signing, giving us a third option in one of the most important positions in the squad.

Leon Best was a shocking signing but if you think about it, he's the last lone striker we've signed. At least he bloody tried to sign a player for that position.

Don't want to come across as a Chris Evans apologist, but if you're comparing him to our recruitment since he left, he's definitely better than the team that have signed worse players for much more money.

It's a bit like saying Clinton is better than Trump.

There must be better options out there, it didn't work out with Chris Evans here before. Someone like Peter Taylor (ex-Leicester boss) might be a decent option. He has a lot of experience in football, surely must have a lot of contacts. I guess Sam and Mel know better than me though! It's a shame Nigel Clough can't be responsible for our player recruitments, he was great at finding good bargains!

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Half of his signings were poor, but he's better than whatever we've had since. Our loan signings in particular were very good while he was in charge and I still think that Mascarell was an astute signing, giving us a third option in one of the most important positions in the squad.

Leon Best was a shocking signing but if you think about it, he's the last lone striker we've signed. At least he bloody tried to sign a player for that position.

Don't want to come across as a Chris Evans apologist, but if you're comparing him to our recruitment since he left, he's definitely better than the team that have signed worse players for much more money.

It's a bit like saying Clinton is better than Trump.

Chris Evans signed everyone in the Clement summer as well you know? 

He left in autumn last year I think.

13 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I feel like Evans is always looking for someone to sign that isn't prolific but if he does well at Derby he will be praised for signing him.

It's like he's wanting to attention of seeing potential in a poor player. i.e the Leon Best signing. If Leon Best went on and scored 10+ goals that season for us, People would have praised Evans highly and he would have been seen as one of the best scouting directors in the country. But sadly he isn't and he signs rubbish.

We really didn't have a good record once he was in place...

2 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

We really didn't have a good record once he was in place...

He took far too many risks with players, That's why. 

Simon Dawkins - Was a risk but paid off massively

Leon Best - Huge risk, didn't work at all

Tom Ince - Not a huge risk as he is proven at this level but attitude wise was risky. Paid off in the short term.

I could go on. Not a fan of Evans. 

Archived