Premier League? Are we NOT having a laugh?

Half fan

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

"The false-10 (or false-attacking midfielder) description has also been used in a slightly different manner in Italian football. The false attacking-midfielder is usually a technical and creative player with good vision, positioning, ball control and long passing ability, as well as being a player with respectable defensive attributes, and good long distance shooting ability. The false-10 performs in a similar manner to the false-9, although seemingly playing in the number 10 role, but still drawing opposition players back into the midfield. The false-10 will eventually sit in a central midfield role and function as a deep-lying playmaker, creating space for other players to make attacking runs and receive long passes from the midfield playmakers.[26]"

That's hurt my head. It's a central midfielder innit? 

What hurts my head even more is that someone actually spent time typing that up on wikipedia. Footballing nerds.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gegenpressing - a system that encourages a team to win the ball back upon losing possession as quickly and as close to the opponents goal as possible, in order to build attacks from an advanced position.

In other words, the fundamental way of playing football for the last 150 years.

20 minutes ago, Alpha said:

"The false-10 (or false-attacking midfielder) description has also been used in a slightly different manner in Italian football. The false attacking-midfielder is usually a technical and creative player with good vision, positioning, ball control and long passing ability, as well as being a player with respectable defensive attributes, and good long distance shooting ability. The false-10 performs in a similar manner to the false-9, although seemingly playing in the number 10 role, but still drawing opposition players back into the midfield. The false-10 will eventually sit in a central midfield role and function as a deep-lying playmaker, creating space for other players to make attacking runs and receive long passes from the midfield playmakers.[26]"

That's hurt my head. It's a central midfielder innit? 

I suppose that's a little bit like Will Hughes tbf... He moves forward with the ball and his midfield compatriots then overlap him and he drops back having made space for them, and feeds the runners the ball.

Still a poncey way to describe it. 

Thank you so much for your time.

Your knowledge of the game is impressive, your effort heroic.

I wrote to Mel Morris, saying.

I believe you could knock 20 years out of this. Would like to explain how.

It is the owners prerogative to hold the balance of power.

I would speak to him.

All I can say is, this is all possible.

My uneducated plasterer friend said, there is a time and place for everything.

There is a book entitled, The men will listen to me.

Thank you.

I don't really think it is all that surprising that we are still stuck in the second division - afterall most of the points listed in the opening post - top notch academy facilities, ambitious wealthy owner, etc have have only been around for the last couple of years - even the attendances have only started to recover during the Sam Rush era. Christ - it took us long enough to us almost being dissolved with the amigos. It takes time to build something that lasts - even Swansea and Bournemouth built up through the leagues over several seasons - they didn't really just appear out of nowhere and get promoted. The missing part for me is primarily a competent recruitment team - why the hell do we only buy over priced average players who only play in England these days - lets go back to the Jim Smith or George Burley days and start looking abroad for some reasonably priced talent.

22 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It really is quite staggering when you step back and look at the length of time we have been stuck down here in the second division when you compare it with the rest of our history and it really is an enigma in what has actually gone wrong. When you think that teams like Swansea have beaten us back up and they came from much further down, and bloody Bournemouth have had to beg for donations to save their club and still beaten us to the prem there has to be real concerns about the club.

Yes, but Bournemouth also cheated and broke financial fair play rules to get there. Maybe Mel just needs to do the same and get Messi in - who cares what consequences the football league comes up with if we manage to smash every team on the way to the Premier League

13 minutes ago, Martinh said:

I would speak to him.

Thank you.

Hi @Robbie Ram!

57 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I sometimes wonder if this is Mel's problem, he attempts to introduce ideas that make perfect sense as a businessman, such as KPI's and Leadership groups, but they don't really translate into the football environment.

Very good point.

Football is very subjective.

League position and bums on seats are normally the best KPIs for a football manager I would suggest.

4 hours ago, Martinh said:

I would speak to him.

Thank you.

Your style of writing is a tad.

Strange.

Thank you.

21 hours ago, Ninos said:

Do you think Liverpool supporters wanted Klopp style football? He came in with a plan and a style - a style they prob didn't even understand and he implemented it, and now they see it and love it. Even Sturridge is out in deference to their style and even England's GK and yaya are out in deference to pep style at man city.

my point is that it's all nonsense that 4-3-3 is the answer or something else is the answer. We need an enlightened inspired manager - an Eddie Howe at the least - to do this properly. To show us something new. Something exciting that wins. 4-2-3-1? Jim smith era 5-3-2 with crazy good wing backs? 3 at the back? Gegenpress? Something different. We are now banking on the fact that after failure to make a promotion winning team with us, and subsequent catastrophic failure at nufc mac will be the man and he's gonna play 4-3-3 every game, attacking exciting football will return and we will win. In 3 games we've seen little of it. Now we are stuck with it so let's hope we have new and improved mcclaren Mark 2 and the change begins quickly.

Excellent observations.

Archived